"Frost-Free" Refrigerators

Sorry to hear that your kitchen refrigerator stopped working and that you’re looking at a two-week wait for a repair tech. Too common an experience these days. Thank goodness you have a backup.

When we had our own refrigerator failure earlier this year, I dove into reading about the subject of appliance reliability on this blog at Yale Appliance. Though I did not purchase anything from them, I found the info useful.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

2 Likes

Thanks for the article.
Yes, Sunshine and I have already located a replacement fridge for the kitchen (if the current one can’t be repaired). Home Depot is having a sale through July 12th and they have a 24 cubic foot LG (freezer top/fridge bottom) model that will fit perfectly into the space. Your article shows LG at the top for reliability which agrees with the Consumer Reports article I found on-line.
If the estimate to repair our current fridge is too high, we’ll run down to Home Depot that night (last day of the sale) and order the LG.
Thank you again for the link/article. I always second guess myself when making larger dollar decisions, but feel better when I have documentation/logic to backup those decisions.

2 Likes

Excellent plan. :grinning:

Find yourself a local repair tech too, if that is possible. That was an headache I experienced when our old fridge (installed by the previous homeowners) went kaput.

For what it’s worth, around me in Massachusetts, there are a few independent appliance dealers who have techs that service what they sell. In the past some independents here would even price-match the big box stores when I asked. Not sure if that’s so anymore.

1 Like

This is why I have always bought my appliances from local dealers. The price is still competitive, and being able to get a local service tech through the store that sold it to me is definitely the way to go.

2 Likes

Yes… the Sears “Hometown” Store was right around the corner from me. I think they closed a few months ago. And yes, I wanted to spend my money at a local store.
At that time, I never dreamed Sears would close over 100 of its stores and only have a handful left.
As a kid, I remember the Sears “Wishbook” coming out before Christmas.
My Dad was always ordering tools or whatever from Sears. I would go to the catalog store (with him) to pick up whatever he or my mother had ordered.
I remember getting my first set of Craftsman wrenches and sockets from Sears… It is all very sad, as that traditional American staple is now gone.

2 Likes

I never thought Montgomery Wards would disappear.

And here we are, some 2 decades later and it only exists (if you can call it that) on the interwebs.

I still remember eating there as a toddler.

3 Likes

I hear you. A bedrock of reliability and value. I bought my best canister vacuum there — a Kenmore. Lived in a house that had a Kenmore fridge when I moved in. When I was a kid and we visited my grandparents in their tiny hometown for Xmas, the big adventure was driving the the bigger hamlet that sported a Sears to go Xmas shopping. The catalogue was good for many evenings’ perusal. Our last Sears demi-store closed sometime during the pandemic. It’s now a Harbor Freight. The department store closed probably 8 years ago. It was sad to watch it decline. Montgomery Ward preceded it in death. They were both in the same shopping center.

2 Likes

The Sears Technician (at least he said he was from Sears) came yesterday and evaluated our refrigerator. Sadly, the repair cost far exceeded what I was willing to pay to have it repaired. It almost equaled what I originally paid for the fridge 8 years ago.
Sunshine and I went back to Home Depot and ordered the LG fridge we had been looking at. It was the last day of the sale, so we did get it for a good price. It will be delivered on Monday.
I decided to go “old school” this time… freezer on top, fridge on the bottom, no ice maker or any other gadgets. Hopefully, we’ll have better luck with the LG.
Fingers crossed!!

1 Like

Whatever Sear may have been, its been poorly run since the 90s. They spent so much time trying to become a financial conglomerate that they completely missed the changes that were going on in retail. Walmart, big box stores, internet, death of malls, etc. I just recall a jumble of merchandise in poorly laid out stores. By the time Eddie Lambert bought it, it was already on the long downward trend that was impossible to reverse. I can’t say I miss it at all. I can’t recall the last time I went to a general merchandise department store.

1 Like

Here’s a good example from this week: A basic lawnmower part I needed for my Sears Craftsman is $69 delivered from searspartsdirect. It’s $10 on both eBay and Amazon with free shipping.

2 Likes

My new fridge was delivered yesterday morning. Initially, the temperature reached 35 degrees (F), so I thought all was fine. Sunshine and I had to run some errands, so when we got back (that afternoon) we were going to transfer our food from the garage “beer fridge” into the new fridge, but the thermometer was reading 50 degrees (F), so we held off. Later that day, it started making a grinding noise. I’ve got a call into to Home Depot to see if/when they are going to replace it.
The saga continues…
26 days (and counting) without a working fridge in the kitchen. Just glad we have the “beer fridge” in the garage, although its really becoming a hassle to go back and forth to the garage when I need to get stuff for cooking dinner.

2 Likes

We need a dedicated “sympathy” icon. Sampson?

3 Likes

It looks like both of your fridges died of bad compressors.

The first one based one what you said (not sure how you reached that conclusion, however).

The second one, based on your description, it sounds like to me it is another compressor problem.

Two fridges, two bad compressors?

Conincidence? Perhaps.

Or perhaps there is a voltage surge in that outlet where you plug your refrigerators in the kitchen, or in that part of the electrical bank of your house. Have you checked the outlet to make sure it is not experiencing power surges that may be frying your compressor board and motor?

Good luck.

I have been searching for a refrigerator for years. I am not a fan of current designs but I know my current kitchenaid is not long for this world. I keep reading over and over again not to buy a LG. Even the sales guy at Lowes told me not to buy one. For one thing, in our area there is only one or two people who will service them. Apparently, they are very busy and hard to book. Consumer reports rates them high but the compressor seems to be the main issue. I’m leaning toward getting a Frigidare at this point.

I’ll check it out… Thanks.

Some years ago, the beer fridge was plugged into that outlet (when I first moved in), but was banished to the garage for a stainless steel replacement that matched the rest of the appliances. I really don’t know how it is still running, but it is. Its an old Hotpoint (white), kind of ugly… but it works.

Yes… I was doing research and saw that Consumer Reports rated them high and that the compressor issue had been resolved. I usually try to consult Consumer Reports when making a big purchase. In the past, I’ve usually done pretty good with their recommendations.
It is possible I got a fridge that was made on Friday afternoon right at quitting time (LOL).
Sunshine and I just got back from Home Depot and LG did approve a replacement. We have to call tomorrow and schedule the delivery. Fingers crossed the next one will be OK.

1 Like

I was told the same thing about LGs by the owner of the appliance store I got my next -to-last last fridge from. LGs are very difficult to get parts and service for. I got a KitchenAid, and that lasted 2 years. Then I got a Bosch, because that was all that was immediately available in the configuration that would fit in my kitchen. Not ideal, but so far it’s still functioning. I got an extended warranty. A good idea these days.

If only some of you had paid more attention to this thread:

1 Like

Sure, definite possibility. I would think that the marketing advantage of merely claiming there is an integral surge suppressor/voltage regulator would sell a lot of fridges…

Just an update… A replacement fridge is supposed to be delivered on Saturday… we’ll see.
I was given the option of purchasing an extended warranty when I made my initial purchase and turned it down. I have since received an e-mail offering that same extended warranty. I’m going to go ahead and buy it… After dealing with this situation, I think this might be a wise investment.

3 Likes