Free offer from Penzey's but ends 4/15 (edit: seems to still work 4/16)

I think freezing it is not going to give the same result as drying it. Drying it kind of concentrates the volatile oil, the same way it does with rosemary and thyme. It’s not like fresh, but it does retain much of the flavor. You can’t use dried citrus peel the way you would fresh, no - but I use dried grated lemon and orange peel in marinades and in baked goods and as part of the rub for roasting meats all the time.

1 Like

I love Penzey’s and have gotten my extended family hooked on the wicked-expensive-but worth-it cinnamon.

But for citrus, I think the Vicky Boyajian oils are amazing. The flavors are intense and true, and very easy to titrate into whatever you’re cooking. I have some old bottles that are over 10 years old and the flavors still seemed very good, but bought a new sampler to make sure I wasn’t fooling myself. The new stuff is a little stronger, but no off flavors on the older stuff yet.

1 Like

My Soul Box arrived today! It is a really nice boxed set. It includes a little lapel pin and recipe cards for each blend. Just a super generous offer and has increased my already positive feelings about the company.

Plus they enclosed a free sample pack of another blend. Crazy - a freebie with a freebie.

3 Likes

Finally received my American Heart and Soul box. It’s a very nice assortment, but since I’m a dedicated Penzey’s customer, I already have most of these jars. I’ll probably pass it along to my niece (and her hubby and 3 kids)–I think she will enjoy the recipes as much as the herbs and spices. And maybe we can continue the family tradition of cinnamon toast :grinning:

Interestingly they also included a free sample of Greek seasoning and a purple paper clip :thinking:

BTW the steak rub sent with the first shipment was very tasty.

Which one was that?

Chicago Steak Seasoning . . . used on a pair of boneless NY strips from a local meat market. I’ll add that we also basted the steak in a fresh garlic herb butter (garlic, thyme and rosemary).
Funny, we used a paper clip to keep a second serving of the free sample for next weekend :grinning:

2 Likes

Good to know - I’ve still got that sitting waiting to be used. I’m always a bit wary when I see salt as the first ingredient in a seasoning blend.

1 Like