Free offer from Penzey's but ends 4/15 (edit: seems to still work 4/16)

Did you order anything else? I got my poppy seeds, zaatar, and spicy salt (all in bags) on Friday with a note that the other box is on the way, waiting for jars as @chowdom mentioned. If you ordered only small jars, your order may be delayed longer. I wonder how many orders they got that weekend. Hundreds? Thousands? Mine was #O1714700, how much higher or lower was yours?

Makes me curious if the promo is actually worth it from a business standpoint. Yes, they gained some new customers but also must have lost a few. Employees are probably all on overtime, and it’ll be a lot of extra postage and labor for split shipments like mine. Is the profit on my $28 order enough to cover the product, the free stuff and shipping two packages? Spices probably have a good margin, but I wonder …

1 Like

Mine was in the 01732000’s. I ordered 4 other items.

I’ve been a Penzey’s customer since 2002ish. Initially shopping when I traveled to a city they were in. Once in a while by mail. Now my small city has one!

The delay doesn’t bother me in the least. The freebie prompted the order and the add-ons were to take advantage of the shipping.

2 Likes

well if their orders are consecutively numbered, that’s a hell of a busy weekend!

1 Like

In one communication they mentioned that the 3 day promo generated as much in sales as they had in the first 5 1/2 months in 2017!

3 Likes

Awesome, but they must be exhausted!

1 Like

Yes, I ordered an assortment of salad dressing seasonings, and a cinnamon assortment.

My box arrived today. It had the add-on’s but not the Heart & Soul Box. There was a note explaining that they are still a few weeks away from being able to fulfill the gift box.

They did enclose a complementary 22g packet of Chicago Steak Seasoning. And oddly enough a little clear zip-bag with 2 red and 2 orange regular style/sized paper clips. Not sure what that’s about but :woman_shrugging: thanks!

2 Likes

I forgot I had gotten paperclips as well. LOL

1 Like

I hadn’t been sure if they were added intentionally or not!

1 Like

I got paperclips, too! I assumed they were to close up the little sample packets.

So still no “Heart and Soul” box. But today I received my 1/2 cup jar of sage, 4 oz bag of arbol chili peppers and 1-1/2 cup of poultry seasoning. Also included were samplers of steak seasoning and curry powder. Oddly enough, 4 paper clips :confused:

1 Like

Were they red and orange? :thinking:

1 each–red, orange, blue and purple :confused:

1 Like

Oh, and there was a note with my package. “Coming soon, Your American Heart and Soul 8-jar Gift Box. We are still a few weeks away from having the jars and spices to build your gift box. We’ll be sending it to you as quickly as we can. Thanks for your patience.”

I imagine this will be their last free give away. I was order #01739101. Even if we all order 2 or 3 other things, they have to be losing money on this deal.

1 Like

But perhaps gaining a lot more future customers. Hopefully people didn’t go just for the freebie (although I’m sure there are some that did) but will continue to renew their spice/herb cabinets with Penzeys products.

3 Likes

For those of us still waiting for the Soul Box -

This was part of an email received today from Penzey’s:

“And we are happy to announce we now have Soul Boxes to fulfill rain checks in all of our stores. With the delay in getting the jars needed for us to produce the additional Soul Boxes, we’ve extended the expiration on rain checks until June 30th. If you know of someone with a rain check, please let them know they are now in, but they also have extra time to pick them up if needed. We hope to have the last of the online back-ordered Soul boxes shipped by Wednesday.”

1 Like

Has anyone used their lemon peel powder?

orange /gun control

1 Like

No, but the volatile oils in citrus peel mean its impact is short-lived. I have frozen lemon zest right after grating. Defrosted weeks later, it was flat and dead. So I wouldn’t expect much from powdered dried peel.

Thank you … maybe it will look pretty :wink: