Foods we love AND hate at the same time ?!?!?!

Hah! So happy I piqued your interest.
(psssst… you have a smidge of confectioners sugar on your tie…)

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more the lightbulb going off makes sense. I mean, there was the whole burger on a doughnut thing a couple years back - a place down the street from me offers one on both their brunch and dinner menu. Bacon crumbles are not an uncommon topping for a doughnut anymore. I’ve even had pork roll and the confection together. A pepperoni/doughnut mash-up is just the next logical step in the evolution of my gluttony.

Nevertheless, I remain grateful. And, just between you and me, I’m not sure that was sugar . . . .

1 Like

Ahhhh… good ole MZ. Up to your old Tricks, I see.

1 Like

“Sweet, salty, fatty, spicy”

Was the caption of my high school year book picture.

4 Likes

“Size doesn’t matter in this case for me”

Key words: in this case, I gotcha Gio is a size queen!

Don’t get carried away, now.

1 Like

What? I like a big pepperoni! I can’t stand the pre-packaged and sliced, nope not for me. I prefer to grab me a fairly sizeable stick and thick slice it up, to me it should have a crunch or true meaty texture beyond being sliced thin like deli meat.

In a way, to me at least, these are the foods that just have a lot of baggage. Superficially, they have a compelling appeal - a familiar flavor profile, a compelling richness, an inviting facade, fantastic legs, etc. You bring them in close, the fragrance stirs something. There’s anticipation, a rumble somewhere inside, the first kiss of a taste comes with simultaneous joy and satisfaction. You become aroused, push for more, and unthinkingly consume.

Then. Well, then, it’s real. Time goes by and that warm spark of seduction becomes a cold stone of over-satiation. What was once sweet to the lips has been lost - turned to a dull revulsion, a heavy dread within. The thrill in the novelty replaced by the weight of the reality - the passive-aggressive mother, the “best friend” who never seems to know when not to call . . . .

Oh, shit. Right. We’re talking about food. In that case, I’m going with celebratory cakes. Birthday, wedding, etc. I always want a piece, until I’m almost done eating it.

2 Likes

Paula Deano.

1 Like

Quantity is definitely a factor. The first half of the first doughnut is great. The second half, not as much. The first half of the second doughnut “why am I doing this to myself?”

1 Like

A discussion about my absolute HATRED/DISGUST OF olives on the NJ board prompted me to see if there was a “Foods you hate” thread. This is as close as I could get, so here I am, someone who loves just about ALL food, but will. not. eat. olives. I also strongly dislike RAW tomatoes. And yes, I’ve had them warm off the vine in a friends’ organic garden in NJ. It’s a texture thing. Chopped super small in a salad, I can live with a few, but in general, they get picked out. Also: raw bananas. I’ll eat maduros and tostones, so again, I think it’s about texture.

Pass the foie gras, octopus, and pretty much any kind of ethnic food, but not that yucky stuff! :grin:

I love olives (especially in my martini) and I LOVE raw tomatoes, especially off the vine in my garden. As the matter of fact I’m serving olive stuffed tomatoes for dinner tonight, followed by banana’s foster! Want to join me?

1 Like

Sure–I’ll have the martini sans olives. :wink:

1 Like

As mentioned upthread, I think that size does matter. I love doughnuts, conceptually. A warm raised, glazed doughnut. Lust. I see them for sale at coffee houses and markets. And I think, “One of these days I’m going to buy me one.” Then one cold, early morning at the flea market, the coffee van pulls in, sets out those huge bakery boxes of doughnuts and I know this is the day. I am so excited about this indulgence, And I take a bite, Yup, that’s it. And a second bite, and it’s a different kind of “that’s it”, as in no more. DH gets the doughnut, albeit never really wanted one.

Why don’t more people sell doughnut holes? Perfect.

3 Likes

I adore my mom’s chopped liver, but if I have more than a little blob of it I feel really ill from all the fat (it’s got schmaltz AND sauteed onions AND hard-boiled egg).

1 Like

Fried whole belly clams. I eat a few, go yum yum yum. Then that’s enough. Actually, that’s too much. I never order them for myself - I take them from my husband’s platter. Also, French fries. Same story. Love the first few, hate the rest. I try to order things that don’t come with fries but they’re hard to avoid.

I agree with pilgrim about donut holes. Better than a whole donut.

Look I’m far from a medical professional but you might want to see a Dr regarding this. What human does love fried potatoes!!!

2 Likes

My appetite is poor because of health problems and I prefer to fill up with something more interesting than fries…

2 Likes

My apologies I wasn’t trying to poke fun at any medical conditions. I can honestly say though you are just about the only person I can think of that doesn’t like French fries.

Did you enjoy them prior to the health issues?

1 Like

A family member gifted me with a container of this stuff saying “You’ll love it - I’m addicted to it”.

Well first taste was like ok. Second was this is really different and delicious. But the third taste was I don’t like this any more or at least I don’t think I do. My husband couldn’t stand it. The last I heard she’d worn herself out on it.:slightly_smiling_face: