Foods we love AND hate at the same time ?!?!?!

Movie theater popcorn. First handful…bliss. Second handful…barf.

2 Likes

But it smells so good upon entering the theater that it is impossible to resist!

1 Like

That’s ok. Not into them once I reached middle age (I’m well past that now!). I just consider them “filler”. I came to that after several years of living in the Netherlands where they were very stingy with vegetables. I do like steak frites and moules frites, but the French do French fries very well lol. But at this point in time, I’m not compelled to eat fries in lieu of other things on my plate. I watch other people eat when we’re out (including my husband) and wonder how they can possibly tuck it all away. I have to prioritize, and frequently order off of the appetizer menu.

2 Likes

Uni…it tastes great and then gets to be too much after a while.

Five years ago I would have said my once a year craving for the hot Rotel/Velvetta dip. The first few dipped chips were great. Then it became less enticing. The last time I made it I realized it had moved into the “never again” camp. Now I feel ill just thinking of it.

4 Likes

Tastes good on the way down but the just wait until the next day :poop:
0c272ac70cab2b95dc21bff3b8ca7b85

4 Likes

Soooooooo true

I think I might be that other human. First of all I prefer mashed potatoes over any other preparation. Oven/pan roasted are fine too. But fries are down on my list of potato preps and often the only option. Fries are OK (I like waffle fries the best) but are kind of awful if they’re more than half an hour out of the kitchen ( unlike MASHED).

1 Like

Even fresh cut fries? I’m not much on frozen but fresh cut w/skin on is a whole different world. Or maybe the bbq served with it is the key. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Francesinha,it’s from Porto and is supposedly inspired by a croque monsieur , though it has mutated somewhat. I had it a couple of times in Porto. If i see it on a menu I feel compelled to order it but I regret it even before I’ve finished it.

Francesinha* (meaning Little Frenchie or simply Frenchie in Portuguese) is a Portuguese sandwich originally from Porto, made with bread, wet-cured ham, linguiça, fresh sausage like chipolata, steak or roast meat, and covered with melted cheese and a hot thick tomato and beer sauce. It is typically served with french fries.

3 Likes

It’s fries for me too. On the rare occasions I eat fast food, I’ll order the meal to get the drink. I will eat 4-5 fries and toss or give away the rest. If I get an old oil taste it’s about 1/2 French fry. Sometimes I do really enjoy the plank cut fries and of course homemade ones. I’ll have to put Poutine on this list as well.

That looks like a lot to handle. I bet you need a stack of napkins with that!

1 Like

is that a fried egg, too?

Poutine.

I too had it twice in Porto just because I’m a good tourist who does my food research well. I failed to see the point of this “invention”.

The partner ate most it for me.

The more expensive version, with braised rabbit meat.

This restaurant is where they served it originally.

I think I replied to this topic before. But if not then sesame oil it is. I can take it in small doses. Nausea-inducing if a drop too much.

4 Likes

Yes, even fresh cut with skin on. LIke I said they’re OK right out of the hopper but degrade quickly and I’m just not that jazzed with them. I’d much prefer mashed with BBQ.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mashed potatoes
in a bbq joint. :slight_smile:

Hmm…this calls for a road trip and some serious investigation on your part! Calories don’t count when they are in the name of science.

1 Like

A new quest!

1 Like

Lots of bbq joints around here have mashed yet a lot of times you won’t see things like collard greens

1 Like