Foods we love AND hate at the same time ?!?!?!

I add sharp cheddar most of the time. what a waste! I did have an excellent bowl of generic M&C over the holidays, but I was sick and hungover, so I’m not sure if it was actually good.

My husband adds canned beans (tomato sauce ones) to it. His mother, fine English cook that she was, added beans, hot dogs, and scrambled egg to it! :dizzy_face:

FYI my favorite cheese for this is the spreadable port wine infused cheddar. I love, love, love that flavor. Good stuff give it a shot sometime.

Good thing you did–I’d assumed from context it was a white bread sandwich with mayo only.

I’ll have to pick some up on my next trip to the USA, Plattsburgh NY. I actually ALWAYS buy 2 or 3 horseradish cold-pack cheeses when I visit. We only have real cheese here :frowning: LOL

I have a soft spot for Kraft Mac n Cheese. Nostalgia, mostly, but I also like it – of course, I add stuff to it.

1 Like

Potato Chips - I eat them, then I feel sick. Big Macs also. Sometimes when I’m on the road I have a buy one get one free coupon. They taste great. Then I feel sick. Grease just doesn’t agree with me the way it used to.

Pepperoni pizza. After the first bite, the pepper and salt are too much. My ideal PP would have slivers from a total of 2 slices, evenly scattered over a large pie.

Hear, hear.

also, doughnuts

lol, BiscuitBoy, I bought tofu today! It’s cheap protein and good with spicy Asian sauces, which I love.

I agree. I like to throw pepperoni into the processor with homemade Italian sausage and use the results on pizza.

Lingua I have only made Goi Du Du Chay, the Vietnamese green papaya salad. I liked everything about it except the green papaya. DH was ambivalent. There’s something similar called Goi Bap Cai, spicy cabbage salad. I’ll try that since I love cabbage.

I wonder how different the Thai version of the papaya salad is, though.

If it’s the actual flavor of the green papaya you dislike, you probably won’t like som tam either.

Tho I have to say the only thing I get from the papaya is the crunchiness - the dressing flavors are pretty much all I can taste: fish sauce, lime, fresh chili, toasted peanuts, cilantro…

And now I want me some. Thx, Gio '-D

1 Like

Maybe I better try it again…? Dunno.

Gummy bears/ cola chewy candy. I love that stuff. But I will finish half a bag before I even get home. Sugar bloat afterwards. And then finish the remaining in the evening.

It usually has either poached chicken (hand pulled) or prawns in it. Is very nice. Nuoc cham is almost the same as Thai, with the addition of ginger (juice). As you know, nuoc cham is far thinner and milder than the similar Thai version.

Another nice variation is with lotus stems (has prawns and pork).

I like papaya salads, Thai or Viet. It’s not the papaya, which doesn’t really have any taste, it’s all the things that go into it. I like mine with pounded fermented tiny crabs or some kind of jerky.

1 Like

For any of the people posting here, do you think the size of some items provokes the love-hate reaction? I thought of that when Babette posted “doughnuts”. Usually I only enjoy a quarter of a donut. After that, it is just too much sugar and over-soft dough. In Italy, people eat only a few small slices of a spicy cured meat like what American “pepperoni” is.

There are some very tangy cheeses that I won’t say that I love-hate exactly, but they are more weird than delicious, and yet I feel good eating them. I could almost say the same for high-quality plain yoghurt.

1 Like

I like all the Thai and Viet food I’ve made and ordered in restaurants that I’ve had so far except the papaya. So that whole salad thing is surprising because I love salads. Perhaps it was all the other things in that salad that just didn’t suit me.

Size doesn’t matter in this case for me. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so even the mention of a doughnut for instance makes my teeth hurt.

As for pepperoni, I can’t stand the stuff. Never did. Too salty, too greasy…

1 Like

You know, your post just made me curious to put pepperoni and a doughnut together. Sweet, salty, fatty, spicy. It’s got all the important food groups. Thanks for the spark!

Don’t worry, I promise not to offer you a bite.