Finally Suspended!!

Steve P. stopped the forum aspect of OA several years ago and made it a world-wide high end review site.

So I see. Not terribly useful for generally low-end me, but nice to know itā€™s there, I guess.

1 Like

Just about need a family tree to track all of the offshoots!

1 Like

yeah. Maybe Iā€™ll start foodboardancestry.com

Actually, might be better to chop down the tree and re-plant.

5 Likes

That is indeed a huge balancing act. If it is too restricted, then it can hurt a community growth. If it is too free-for-all, it can be dominated by destructive forces, and sometime there simply isnā€™t a good balancing point.

1 Like

I think that can be pretty difficult considering there are many high end review restaurants magazines and sites. Maybe I am wrong.

People just need to chill the f*ck out. Honestlyā€¦remember sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me. WTF ever happened to that?

I just donā€™t get how people get so worked up over forums like thisā€¦if you donā€™t agree so what, who cares. I learned this a long time ago and itā€™s true and I so wish more people would realize this;

ā€œOpinions are like assholes, everyone has one, some peoples just stink more than othersā€ (yes I created that saying you can quote me)

Look itā€™s one thing to scream fire in a crowded theater. Itā€™s also another thing to call me a derogatory or slur in front of other people, like real life people who are in the same room as you etc. How do people get so butthurt because people have a different opinion -OR- just disagree with someone. How??? Why??? Who care???

Iā€™ve actually had one bi-polar participant actually email me Fā€™ bombs because they didnā€™t like something Iā€™ve posted. Could be nice as hell, ā€œlikeā€ different things, then Fā€™ bomb my email or private message. Like WTF seriously?

CHILL THE F" OUT PEOPLE!!!

Rant over. Thank you for your cooperation with regard to the above.

7 Likes

It must be pretty dismal over at CH

In term of forums, I think you and I can agree that different forums have different culture to them. They feel different. For example, as similar as Food Talk Central is to Hungry Onion, they are also different. Peopleā€™s focuses are different. People behaviors are different. This is no different than people in Manhattan behave a little different than people in San Francisco. This is why people take time to adjust to a new setting. I donā€™t think it is necessary a bad thing that a forum tries to preserve a certain level of identity or culture. The question is how much, and that is really up to debate.

In term of ā€œif you donā€™t agree so what, who caresā€, I think it worth a little more investigations. I think much of the time what you said is true. People do get work up about issues which they will forget a few days later anyway. However, I think sometime there are real consequential issues which people do care about ā€“ and I donā€™t mean screaming fire in a theater. For example, Should ā€œintelligent designā€ be taught at school? Was there an Armenian genocide? Can same-sex couple get married? Was 9/11 an inside job? Can you draw Muhammad in a cartoon? I am not actually asking these questions, so please do not answer. :slight_smile: I am just saying that some people care very much about certain issues, and to tell them to simply ā€œdonā€™t careā€ or ā€œdonā€™t get butt hurtā€ is unlikely to work. In fact, it will likely backfire because you are basically saying what they believe to be important are actually nothing important at all. Ultimately, we all have different priority. So what is important to them may not be important to you, and vice versa.

You just said that people shouldnā€™t care about what others said to them. Yet, you also admittedly ranted about a person who privately emailed you with Fā€™ bombs. So I think it proves the point that even for someone as calm and generous as you, words can still get to you, let alone average people.

6 Likes

I donā€™t know what this thread is about anymore ā€¦ time for the weekend here.

What did I do to make all those little link icons bellow each thread yellow.? Hmmmmm

1 Like

You didnā€™t do anything. We all have little yellow link icons. It is a July 4th gift.

1 Like

Have they always been yellow ā€¦ my brain is mush this week - like oatmeal it feels.

I think (1) these link irons were not yellow before or (2) there were never a ā€œlinkā€ icon. I donā€™t know which one. I do agree with you that there were never a yellow link icon until maybe a few days ago. Yellow is my favor color ā€“ I would know. :slight_smile:

CK,
You see I try to be the voice of reason and a smack-wad like you have to voice their opinion as to why Iā€™m wrong!?!?!?! What the hell is your problem CK? (joke)

So if you notice I specifically said;

CKā€¦with regard to the example(s) you used,

Those topics would be on a board vastly different to this one. So for your example is valid peoples opinions about those things are very valid but they are based in ā€œfactsā€ rather than this site is 100% based on personal opinion. My personal taste in food, service, restaurants etc. etc. is uniquely my own, as are yours. We arenā€™t really debating facts here, we are sharing opinionsā€¦so if you disagree with mine or visa versa I donā€™t see how in the world either one of us could be or should be upset. Just my opinion.

My apologies to you if you took that as a rant! Trust me my friend, that was anything but a rant, I could care less about what the person has to say, however I was concerned about that type of behavior with other potentially skin thinned people, so I did report the behavior. Iā€™m just using an example of what I deemed to be a emotionally unstable person, that wasnā€™t a rant.

If you donā€™t like what I have to say then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: nana-nana poo poo, you smell like doo-doo. Donā€™t mess with me man, shit can get real quick when you mess with me.

1 Like

do you know this person was mentally ill? because throwing around diagnoses such as bi-polar isnā€™t cool, jr. Iā€™m a mental health worker and occasional sufferer as well, this is a pet peeve and it sounds pretty ignorant. Just sayinā€™.

:slight_smile: I disagree. For example, I think many people really get emotional about political issues, and many of them are not facts based. Ok, global warming is a heavily fact based issue, but drawing Muhammad? Maybe I am into cookware, so many of the ugly debates I have seen on Chowhound and on HungryOnion are kind of fact based too ā€“ like ā€œIs induction cooking really energy efficient?ā€ ā€œDoes Pyrex glass really explode?ā€ ā€œIs cast iron a good heat conductor for cooking?ā€ ā€œIs 2.5 mm copper much better heat distribution than 1.5 mm?ā€ ā€œIs plastic bag better than paper bag?ā€ ā€œCan you form fond on a nonstick roasting pan?ā€ ā† remember that fond debate just a few days ago?

Iā€™m sorry for your issues C70, mind you Iā€™m not making fun of someoneā€¦Iā€™m telling a truthful opinion of my observation(s) of this person. I do not know for sure, but the behavior I was explaining where someone will ā€œLikeā€ and compliment you to your face, while ā€œFā€ bombing you privately, is to me the very definition of bi-polar personality. Again, that is my opinion of their behaviors, I thought that was actually a better way to explain it than the other options of alcoholic or dug users, which are also considerations in describing this persons behavior. Perhaps I should have specified; ā€œIā€™ve actually had one participant exhibited bi-polar behavior(s)ā€ would that have been more acceptable? My apologies to you again, I wasnā€™t trying to be derogatory in any way, unless you know the person I"m referring to, then I certainly owe you an apology for comparing you or anyone to them.

CK, thank you for proving me theory, I respect your opinion which differs from mine. Plenty of room around here for both of us to have differing views.

1 Like

They clicked the ā€œknife and forkā€ icon in hoping to stab you, not to like you.

6 Likes

Despite knowing that itā€™s an anonymous medium (so people feel more freedom to be aā€¦holes) itā€™s often difficult not to react (probably for that very same reason). Iā€™ve gotten into a few spots here where someone appears to be gnawing on a bone of contention just for the sake/fun of it, and it can get annoying. I suppose itā€™s just because I prefer to be in neutral (or at least accepted) than forced on defense. Then I realize I donā€™t really have to be ANYWHERE! Itā€™s the internet, not my living room. I can just walk away whenever I want.

Thatā€™s just mean CK. (I clicked it too now to stab you back, you big mean jerk!!):knife:

1 Like