Finally Suspended!!

You mean you get so thin skin that I called you “idealistic” that not only you clung to that word but you manage to follow me to a completely different thread and then bring up a completely unrelated issue. If HungryOnion is too idealistic for you (which is pretty funny coming from you), then maybe this isn’t a place for you. You seem pretty idealistic about how HungryOnion should run to fit your purpose.

I don’t know which exact thread you are talking about, but I am pretty sure it must be a thread where I wasn’t following someone else around and talking about a previous issue.

3 Likes

Ya think? It may not be personal but it’s certainly a grudge against any competition.

I’m putting this down here as a reply to the OP so it doesn’t appear I’m trying to single anyone out by making a general statement under one persons post.

I can’t help but notice a recurring “theme” developing of what appears on the surface to be some squabbling in a few separate threads now.

I don’t know if there is a history I’m unaware of, if there is then please excuse my naïveté, but what’s going on my peeps?

If we need to go out back and have a good ole’ pissin contest to put things to rest then let’s do it. Just like my pappy always said; “It’s always better to be pissed on then pissed off”…second thought maybe I got that wrong.

Anywho in the immortal words of Rodney King; “Can’t we all just get along?”.

If your looking for me I’ll be out back in my rain coat.

8 Likes

I don’t follow anyone around, the thread was brought up on top, and when I opened it, you were the last post.
You know the thread in question is this very one, “finally suspended”, but suspended from where? Another forum. How much more unrelated that could be?

The reason I think it may be personal or grudge (as you have said) is that there are many other food related sites too. People don’t seem to get banned for mentioning eGullet or ChefTalk…etc.

1 Like

Those other sites were not started up in the middle of the ‘storm’ at CH. HO and FTC were! I’d be surprised if CH is OK with mention of ANY competitors, but most certainly not the ones to which so many people moved, and with so much ill will surrounding things.

3 Likes

I suppose not a storm-storm, but other ex-Chowhound users have left Chowhound to start their sites. I believe eGullet is such. By the way, I am agreeing with you.

So how much will it cost me to get your chow password for July 19th??? Hmmmm…??

3 Likes

someone(s) is butthurt, your reply and the one below are now hidden because others flagged them. Kind of childish, doncha think? What’s so offensive in these replies that they must not see the light of day? I’d thought the whole “shut up” ethos at Chowhound stayed there, apparently not. Oh, the sensitive must not be offended.

2 Likes

It was started by disgruntled CH’s. I wasn’t a regular on CH back then so I have no idea if all mention was forbidden. I do know that for the last 10 years mention or linking to EG has not incurred wrath from TPTB.

One of the co-founders of EG has posted here - perhaps he will chime in.

Yes, maybe Jason will weigh in. However, since I was around then, I’ll put my 2 cents in & say that one of the major reasons that a number of folk left CH back when was the owner’s (J.Leff) rigid rules & how he enforced them. And the major reason that a lot of those that left CH then left eGullet was the restrictive moderation of that board. The balance between protecting one’s “brand” by moderation & allowing a free for all that might turn off others or change the site has always been an issue & it took a toll on CH several times, as well as affecting eGullet, OA, Don Rockwell, Mouthfuls & now, apparently, even FTC. Frankly, as a current member of all of these sites (yep, I’m still there too) as well as this one, I appreciate that these venues exist on someone’s dime, enabling me to share my opinions and learn from others’ experiences. I don’t really worry about who owns my words any more than I worry about who owns the restaurant I’m eating in. Just like restaurants, each site has its strengths & weaknesses and I patronize them based on what I feel like “eating” that night, as well as based on in which type of environment I feel like immersing myself in to do so. As I said, just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

That’s my birthday .

LOL Shall we plan a Chow D-Day event on your birthday…we all storm the beaches guns a blazin dropping threads about HO? (Early Happy Birthday!!!)

1 Like

Absolutely !!!

Par for the course. Yet deliciously insecure…

The hilarious part is the telling, wishful comment “We’re asking to take some time away.”

C’mon over here. We have a community and Italics, and we don’t get our panties in a knot about every little thing…

5 Likes

What’s OA?

Opie and Anthony?

Oranges to Apples?

One of those who left CH during that 1st split in which Jason joined Steve Shaw to form eGullet was Steve Plotnicki. He, with a number of others, then exited eG when things got tense. He started his own board (privately owned, the way CH originally was), called “Opinionated About…” (OA). Several from CH/eG joined him there, then exited OA to form Mouthfuls when they didn’t like Steve’s approach to owning a board.

I would guess that the largest concentration of “village elders” who were around during those days and are still posting somewhere can be found on Mouthfuls (where you and I are as well). The ebb and flow of aggressive, contentious, and somewhat idiotic postings don’t seem to get to us over there and we co-exist, for the most part, with only written homicidal tendencies.

Ah, thanks. It doesn’t seem to have any forums, just reviews. And no posts since April. eGullet’s has some action since I was there last, though.