Filling breakfasts that can be made in advance

Definite downside!

Funny because it’s day 2 of school, which means he is waking up 50 minutes before he has to leave the house. Lots of time for a sit down meal. However, my experience with him and the older kid is that by week 4, they’re waking up 15 minutes before rushing out, and everything is a tornado and chaos for that 15 minutes.

6 Likes

I am old. One of the ways I know this is that when I was a kid we all sat down together for cooked breakfast before school (and work for my parents) every single day. My mother, who was a teacher and had to leave before we did, cooked it every single day. I look back and wonder how the heck she did it and also WHY?? Just goes to show that some things have improved since the old days…

7 Likes

My picky Spring Onion loves these. They are very easy to make after you do it once and figure out your process. They’re too eggy for my taste, but he needs all the fat and protein that he can get - he’s such a skinny mini. I imagine they would freeze well if you make a big batch. And they are definitely easy to take on the run.

2 Likes

What about beefed up overnight oats? I realize not portable but you can add in peanut butter (or other nut butter) for some extra oomph.

Or, egg sandwiches? Overhard egg or scrambled, a meat or mashed up avocado, cheese? On whole wheat bagel, pita, English muffin might help add to the fullness.

2 Likes

Here’s an old thread with some things I’ve tried.

3 Likes

Oooh - sounds like a must try. And your timing is ideal too, since we just sent my older one, who is nut allergic, to college. If he’s out of the house, I can cook/bake with nuts and with abandon. With nutty abandon :). And they’d provide filling protein which is perfect.

3 Likes

I was thinking of the egg sandwich. Or the ham and cheese on an english muffin sandwich. Just wondered whether I could freeze them 6-8 at a time, and then they could be nuked. I can’t really afford the time each morning to get up and make one (work starts by 8am) and neither can he…

1 Like

This suggests the answer is yes. Annoying site but seems like good info.

1 Like

I think these were from the year-of-the-egg bites.

I think some involved a puff pastry shell in a large muffin cup.

7 Likes

Perfect - thank you. I have some weekend projects!

2 Likes

They look delectable. I’ll have to ask the kid if he prefers with or without a starchy/pastry shell. I’ve heard of some nuts idea too like pouring in a little bisquick after adding the liquids to the muffin tins along with the other b’fast bits. So weird. But weird could be could. Not that we have any bisquick. Not a shortcut we use.

1 Like

Wow, those look so good @shrinkrap!

2 Likes

Thank you both! The egg bites did not look attractive, so I tried a lot of things.

Not sure if it would sell to your son, but I am a hater of sweet cereals. Therefore, I add savory things to oats, or cornmeal mush (think; polenta) or rice (what about a protein broth made risotto). Cheese or ham/bacon/sausage bits.

2 Likes

He definitely does not hate sweets! I think if he’s going to eat oats, it’s going to be a sweet version. But thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

What about French toast or waffles he can pop in the toaster. Precooked sausage patties.

1 Like

Yes, we have those lying around. I guess we just didn’t think of them. Although we’re pretty over the Eggo multipacks at Costco. Somehow as they sit in our freezer, they accumulate a ton of ice on them. Then when you toast them, they are a soggfest. Or if you toast them a ton, some parts are finally dry and others are charcoal.

2 Likes

Acknowledging that this is weekday breakfasts and how few minutes are available, I only recently started making yeast raised OVERNIGHT waffles. I am not a “let’s cook up a storm at 6am person,” yet husband is starving on waking. Overnight waffle batter lets you set it the night before, stagger out of bed in the morning, flip on the waffle iron and have fabulous waffles on the table before the rest of the crew is dressed. Unbaked batter can hang out in the fridge for another morning.

3 Likes

I will have to consider how much I love him :slight_smile: since I also like my sleep. I cook him dinner every night. That may have to suffice!!

I like the idea though and will give it some thought.

5 Likes