Favorite potato recipes

Smashed baby reds with garlic, heavy cream, and butter
Hot, crispy fries and their cousins, pommes soufflées (good luck!)
An oven baked potato with crispy skin, sour cream and butter on the side
Roasted potatoes with some sort of delicious fat
Home-made latkes with the inevitable knuckle blood, sour cream and applesauce on the side
Really good potato salad

6 Likes

Mashed potatoes and baked potatoes are my favorites. :grinning:

3 Likes

This! Or really good “home fries”

Like these

Picture from French Fry Diary

There is also a fancier version, probably French, with uniform slices layered carefully, then browned in some type of fat, until crisp outside, with a thin layer of softer potato. I thought is might be Dauphine, but it looks like that has dairy.

Found it! Potatoes Anna! Picture from NYT.
01pommes-anna-articleLarge

I like the smashed ones too.

10 Likes

I am with you on the challenge of using a strainer. The tamis has a flat mesh. Using either a wooden pusher or, better still, a silicone bowl scraper, it is easy as can be. Cleanup is easy, too. It has become one of my favorite tools.

1 Like

I’ve had them in the Netherlands but the best I’ve had was in the Belgian town of Ieper where, as well as the lines of mayo and satay sauce, they added a line of ketchup. Dunno if this was just that particular place or if it’s a Flemish spin on it.

2 Likes

Reminded also of potato kugel and latkes. I’m of the camp to add potato starch back into the latkes when mixing. These should be gift links anyone can access.

6 Likes
4 Likes
  1. Baked in a convection oven so the skins are crispy and the insides are fluffy, with TPSTOB&SC.

2. Hash browns - shredded, cooked on a flattop grill at a local breakfast diner until crispy outside.

3. Baby potatoes, par-steamed, then roasted in an oven with olive oil, s/p and Herbs de Provence.

4. Mashed - with TPSTOB, heavy cream, s/p and sour cream, hand mashed until smooth and creamy.

5. Chips - not too salty, no other flavors added. Can be Cape Cod-like chips or regular Ruffles.

6. Fries - crispy outside, fluffy inside (I do have a theme here!). I get them from a fast food place maybe 2x a year when I have a craving while I’m out doing errands - nothing else, just fries. Otherwise, they’ve got to be LambWeston Hand-Cut Style or Shoestring frozen fries to make at home.

7. Pretty much any potato preparation.

7 Likes

This is one of my favorite potato recipes. Both Sunshine and I really like these “Bread Wrapped Potatoes”. I’ve modified the recipe and use a yeast based dough for the wrapping. I also use my air fryer to cook them vs. shallow frying in a pan.

6 Likes

Could you post what tamis you use?

Have you made this?

One of my dad’s favorite snacks — so we have eaten pretty much every variation over the years. Also claimed by Jews, Goans, Bengalis, and probably some other regional cuisines I’m forgetting at the moment.

The Goan and Anglo versions usually have a very “plain” (by Indian standards) filling: ground beef sautéed with aromatics and a touch of vinegar to counter gaminess, maybe a bit of green chilli for heat. The Bengali version is usually more heavily spiced.

3 Likes

I made them once, a different recipe, after seeing my friend post a photo in a home cooking group on FB I started for my ski club in 2020.

It was one of her favourite dishes that her mom made. Sadly, she lost both her parents in 2021, over a span of 8 months. I misremembered that hers were Goan, which makes sense since her family is Goan.
She said her mom’s recipe was similar to this one

4 Likes

Potatoes are my favorite vegetable, so it’s hard to choose just a few recipes!

In the western repertoire, probably scalloped / gratin and mashed (which includes so many different types in itself).

In indian dishes, tied between the common “travel” dry potato sabzi made with simple tempering and green chillies (this but without onion and ginger), and a simple thin tomato gravy (this but no ginger or green chilli), both comfort food (paired with rice).

Not leaving out: patties / pattice (mashed formed into cakes and pan-fried), fries / chips (my dad made these fresh at home once a week as a ritual when I was growing up), and duck fat roasted.

And I’ve probably left out all kinds of other favorites in the first cut.

8 Likes

My assumption when people post recipes here is that they’re tried / trusted versions, which is why I asked.

(Eggplant and capsicum would be strange inclusions to most people familiar with the dish.)

1 Like

Uh oh.:hushed:

2 Likes

Wow! Hard to decide.
Lately (not my photos):
Spicy Dry Potato Curry /Urulai kizhangu kara

Afghan Potato stuffed Flatbread/Bolani with Cilantro Chutney and Yoghurt

Oh Yeah!
Pambazos/ Chorizo-Potato Sandwich dipped in Chili Guajillo Sauce with Queso Fresco, Lettuce and Crema
Pambazo

12 Likes

Right? I try to never assume much of anything about people’s posts. Some might have tried the recipes they share, others like to share collections of recipes/links they may have never made, but seem to fit the OP’s question…

2 Likes

Ok, ok @shrinkrap I am (now) familiar with your style of “parking” recipes (also when people are looking for ideas and folks caveat that they haven’t tried it but maybe this or that or the other might suit). I also know folks do different things and use the site differently.

Didn’t mean to offend (if I did) or sidetrack (except the thread title holds “favorites”, which does result in some expectation).

5 Likes
  1. Potatoes and (lots of) onions, aka Lyonnaise Potatoes. Galatoire’s in New Orleans serves the best I’ve ever had.

2. Potatoes au gratin

3. Traditional latkes made with plenty of onion, fried thin (ala minute) served with the usual sour cream and applesauce

4. Belgian-style frites with various sauces

Almost too many to mention, really. I also love mashed, baked, twice-baked, and rosti. Pretty much any style, if it’s done well.

5 Likes

Not offended, and I get it. I try to remember to at least say I’m just considering some version of what I link.

And @BierMonk , may I say those Spicy Dry Potato Curry /Urulai kizhangu kara look amazing! :hushed:

4 Likes