Favorite new recipes from 2018

As a group of food enthusiasts, we try a lot of new recipes! What new-to-you recipes were standouts this year? Which has become part of your tried and true favorites?

As the year comes to a close let’s look back and compile a reference of our new found kitchen successes!

Please provide links if possible. Photos too!

2 Likes

This and I linked the entire thread because I literally learned more about chickpea hummus, tahini and their uses than I ever expected.

Hummus. Thick like pb, thin to drizzle and just right for everything else like Gregs pizza suggestion. Chickpeas and how to remove the skin quickly from c.peas. How to roast them first. The ice cube trick for whipped and ultra smooth hummus. My bride was starting to worry but once she read the thread she got it. I have since graduated to other flavored hummus from scratch. Beets, carrots, red pepper, edamame, but always come back to chickpea.

Then there’s tahini. Soom organic tahini my friends. What can I say, Im addicted and have worked tahini into baked goods, savory veggies and drizzled on toast to ice cream.

I know I asked alot of questions in 2018 but this thread remains one of my favorites because it led me to a host of uses and better sourced ingredients for 3 of my fav foods.

6 Likes

This recipe from the lemongrass thread is super flavorful and a great use of fresh lemongrass. I’ve made it several times.

1 Like

Teach me about turmeric thread and this recipe caught on in my household. Everyone is eating cauliflower now!

1 Like

I’ll start by saying that I think of myself as a cook, not a baker, so that’s why it’s surprising to me that this is my pick, but here it is…

These were so freaking easy AND delicious I couldn’t believe it. When I first read Damaris’ post about them on Instagram, I knew I’d like them because they contain a whole mess of my favorite flavors, but most especially, CARDAMOM. Well-received and scarfed down by family and friends over the holidays…

ETA I finally saw my mom yesterday, and she handed off THE. BEST. Chanukah present… The Ottolenghi SIMPLE cookbook. Can’t wait to dive in to it in 2019!

2 Likes

I was super happy with the following tomato pie recipe. So many tomato pie recipes seem too heavy and gussied up to my taste. This one is light, bright flavors and just screams garden fresh. I’ve added fresh corn to the recipe a few times and enjoy it both ways. Only minus is the crust gets soggy so leftovers are slightly less wonderful. (I salt and let the tomatoes drain for an hour or more.)

3 Likes

I’m an infrequent baker so I appreciate having recipes that I know I’ll love. The following link is for triple oatmeal cookies from the book Brave Tart. This particular link includes all the variations of the recipe which are in the cookbook.

I made two of the variations and both were worth the time and calories. The extra dough froze well too!

https://www.reddit.com/r/52weeksofbaking/comments/7qj223/week_2_oats_nuts_tripleoatmeal_cookies/

Link?

I think I was able to edit and correct it. Strange - only the photo came through the first time.

1 Like

Ttrockwood and Maria Carmen had mentioned Sam Sifton’s soy sauce mushroom recipe from the NYT. Wow - absolutely delicious.

The following link isn’t behind a paywall so I used it. Not sure if the recipe has been changed from the original but it looks pretty spot on.

3 Likes

Thxs worked perfectly

Not a recipe so much as a product with a lot of recipe potential (like this Hawaiian fried “rice” I made to use up some of my left over Christmas Ham) is riced cauliflower. I was originally using it as a mashed potato substitute, but now that more and more commercially frozen pre-riced versions are available I’ve been making;

mashed cauliflower
fried riced cauliflower
pizza crust cauliflower
cauliflower biscuits
riced cauliflower risotto

To name just a few. The cauliflower craze will continue into 2019 as I figure out how many other things I can make with it.

2 Likes

For savoury dish, mine is Smoked veal tartare with roasted pecan, parmesan and garlic vinaigrette with white asparagus cream. (I briefly talked about that in WFD July edition this year). The recipe is from a magazine which I don’t have it with me right now. When I return home, I will post it.

The best dessert I made this year was the rice pudding from restaurant L’Ami Jean in Paris, based on the chef’s own recipe. Many local agree that the pudding of L’Ami Jean is simply one of the best you can find in Paris, it is not the traditional classical version which can be quite heavy, this one is more fluffy and light with chantilly and the contrasted with the salty caramel and the candied nuts makes it a sublime dessert. For years, I have been trying to imitate it, not very successful. Finally this year, I found the recipe published by the chef himself. Very happy! One mystery in life is solved!

Discussed here:

3 Likes

I have made something similar, but a tart, (pie in France is more for meat). Delicious! Wonderful summer dish.

Made this dish too (not exactly this recipe), loved it!

Not too familiar with home made hummus or tahini, probably something to perfect next year. Thanks for initiating the discussion.

Just have to say - I’m loving this thread. Thanks for starting it. Once the holidays are over I’m going to have to try many of these. I didn’t do enough experimenting this past year when it comes to cooking - I missed a lot of good ideas!

2 Likes

It’s been a fun, tasty year! I still want to try that special rice pudding you shared. 2019!

1 Like

The last new to me recipe I tried in 2018 was Chili Verde with Pork. The sauce was fabulous. I plan to research if/how to can it so I can use it for other dishes. Roasting the peppers just makes it a bit time consuming to make frequently but if I make a huge batch and can it …the sky’s the limit!

The only change I made was to sub a different mild pepper for the Cubanelle peppers called for since they were not available at my market in December.

Smoked veal tartare with roasted pecan, parmesan and garlic vinaigrette with white asparagus cream

by Charles Neyers

4 servings

INGREDIENTS

Tartare
• 500 g of veal
• some apple wood
• 1/2 bunch of chives
• 2 spring onions
• 20 capers
• 2 pinches of Espelette pepper
• 1 drizzle of olive oil
• salt and pepper

Pesto
• 50 g of pecan
• 1 big bunch of wild garlic
• 4 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
• 50 ml of grapeseed oil
• 100 ml of olive oil
• salt pepper

Asparagus cream
• 1 shallot
• 30 g of butter
• 300 g white asparagus
• 10 g of flour
• 150 ml of cream (35% of fat)
• 1 pinch of Espelette pepper
• 1/2 bunch of chives
• salt and pepper

For the decoration (optional)
• 1/2 chopped red onion

DIRECTION

Tartar
1/ Place the veal in a container, e.g. metal pot. Deposit the apple wood. Light with a blowtorch. Close tightly so that the smoke impregnates the veal and leave about thirty minutes. Cut the smoked veal in small cubes.

2/ Season the tartare with salt, pepper, Espelette pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, chives, spring onion and chopped capers.

Pesto
Roast the pecans in a hot pan. Grind the leaves of wild garlic with roasted pecans and grated Parmesan cheese in a mortar. Add salt and pepper, continue to crush with the pestle, add grape seed oil and olive oil. Mix and reserve.

Asperagus cream
1/ Peel and slice the onion and the shallot. Cook with butter.

2/ Clean and trim the asparagus and cook for 20 min in a pan with water previously salted. Drain the asparagus and save the cooking water.

3/ In a saucepan, add flour, cream (liquid) and 4 tbsp. cooking water of asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and add 1 pinch of Espelette pepper. Cut the asparagus and cook them in the pan. Simmer for ten minutes and pour the mixture in the blender with onion and shallot, add chopped chives.

The dressage
Pour asparagus cream at the bottom of a deep plate. With a circle mold, add a layer of veal tartare and drops of pesto on the veal tartare and in the dish. Add, 1/2 chopped red onion (optional). The asparagus cream can be served warm or cold in summer.

1 Like