Extreme load?

When I was posting, I had a lot of problem as well. I post the problem here.

Don’t know the problem comes from the post or the server. Today seems to be a particular bad day.

2 Likes

I’ve had it happen 3x today while just clicking on a notification of a post here on WFD.

1 Like

Server seems to be busier today doing something. Let me look into how to get the ‘load’ to come down. Thanks for flagging.

1 Like

The spike at 0430 was me.

I think the forum software complains when the load goes above 1.0. Even if the average is fine, when those spikes happen like today, its rather inconvenient to have that big warning message come up.

1 Like

This sounds like “doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this.” “Well don’t do that.”

There is either a software problem with the forum software, a configuration problem on the server(s) (most likely background tasks like backups that are taking more CPU than they should), or a hardware shortfall (something like the interface to mass storage being overloaded). Regardless, as a customer, HO should in my opinion make a fuss.

Let me know if I can help.

Two more events today, 1430 US ET.

Three more later this afternoon.

I noticed that when this happens, 7 times out of 8, I’m looking at WFD thread. I wonder if it has something to do with photos and long thread, or the thread is visited by many people at the same time.

1 Like

I tweaked the ‘image preview quality’ setting from 90 to 80. So it compresses the images (that are uploaded from now on) in a discussion a little more so the file sizes are smaller. Let’s see if that lessens the ‘load’ starting from next month.

The images should still look similar to a human eye.

3 Likes

I’m seeing this more and more often. Extreme load, too many loads from an IP address, a couple of other errors. Not just on WFD.

Lots and lots of “You have been logged out due to extreme load.”

I think I understand that this is built into the forum software but there has to be a way to make it stop. Worst is that it leads to four page loads instead of one so for load reduction it is ineffective.

We will increase the server capacity tomorrow temporarily to see if it solves the ‘extreme load’ problem. The site will have to be offline for about 1-2 hour.

2 Likes

I wish us all luck.

Sorry to disrupt your sleep.

We’ll actually do this in two steps. I noticed a database buffer setting that looks like how it was in 2015 when the site first started, i.e. set perhaps too small. So we’ll increase that setting tonight and update to the forum software. And see if there are any changes. And then change the server capacity as needed during the weekend or next week. (the provisioning of additional server capacity takes more downtime so if setting tweaking works that will be ideal.)

2 Likes

Site setting tweaked and software updated. Let’s give it a day or two to see if this extreme load problem goes away. Please report any occurrences. Thanks.

4 Likes

After viewing a couple of posts, I was just logged out.

I have not seen a “logged out - Refresh” response since the tweaks.

Still seeing “Slow down, too many requests from this IP address” when I open new tabs for all the posts I want to read. Maybe there is a setting tweak to provide some relief there?

How many windows do you open at one time?

1 Like

Depends on how interesting my fellow HOers are. grin Eight is not uncommon. I just use a middle button click to open new tabs and use the opening list of stuff that’s new so generally opening that many windows in about ten seconds.

I know the intent is to block robots and screen scrapers.