Extreme load?

Let’s separate ‘extreme load’ and ‘too many request from this IP’. those are two separate problems. Too many request from this IP potentially needs a setting change in the web server itself. Given we have limited knowledge on how web servers work, I’d suggest if its not overly inconvenient, just pace yourself when you open multiple windows.

I got the “too many requests” failure today when clicking just three entries in the new posts pull down.

I do know how web servers work. This is almost certainly a web server configuration item intended to generate failures when bots and spiders are running through a web site too fast and using more than their share of cycles. Of course since bots and spiders are automated they are now configured to download pages more slowly and to run through routers that use multiple IP addresses (sort of “reverse NAT”). People are less patient.

Do you know what server you’re using? Apache? IIS? Websphere? WebLogic?

I have to open 13 windows in a row just now before the server starts rate limiting me. Although I don’t know if the forum software tells the server to rate limit people sooner when the forum software or the server gets busy. Since right now is not a busy time for the server.

We are using Nginx.

Nginx was specifically designed for high rate requests (“the C10k problem”) so the issue has to be a configuration parameter (“has to” = opinion). From https://docs.nginx.com/nginx-app-protect/configuration/ it looks like the parameter should be under Anti Automation. The parameter itself is not clear.

I’ve downloaded the ORA Cookbook https://www.nginx.com/resources/library/complete-nginx-cookbook/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=amer-nx_mad&utm_content=eb-textad-kywd&_bt=491303871051&_bk=configure%20nginx&_bm=p&_bn=g&_bg=99541596886&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-ycTvmEUd4rpyj7n5EozmEVkZ6YSiw9kASyJD1V1UgcbiQxkP0nDkaAlIwEALw_wcB and will see if I can find it.

Nginx is a good server. It is known for being obscure to configure so most applications are using the defaults for everything until they run into something.

I will report back.

Back to the extreme load problem - got a bunch of those in a row at 1120 US PT today 31 July.

“Slow down, too many requests from this IP address”

01:04
Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Pacific Time (PT)

A minute after:
“Due to extreme load, this is temporarily being shown to everyone as a logged out user would see it.”

We’ll be increasing the server capacity this week. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

After several days without, I got a flurry of “extreme load”/logged out/Refresh errors this morning.

Extreme load error four times in a row on WFD. I gave up.

I logged onto HO on my work PC for the first time today (around 4 pm EDT), clicked on one link in my Notifications, and when I clicked on the link to see THIS thread because Dave had responded earlier, I got this notification/pop-up. I clicked the Refresh button, it pushed me back to the “main page” of HO, but didn’t really log me out.

Right. That’s the error. At the main page you should see a banner that talks about extreme load and showing you what a user not logged in would see. If you hit the back button on your browser or ALT-left arrow it will try to load the page you just got kicked off of. sigh Usually I get the page I’m after. Sometimes I’m down a rabbit hole and go through four, five, or six cycles before I give up.

Doubled the server CPU and ram. Also tweaked some forum software setting to take advantage of the doubled ram. If you encounter any extreme load messages, please let me know. Also please let me know if you encounter them at the same frequency as before.

3 Likes

No messages. I have however had the server or my browser give up loading pictures on WFD. @ChristinaM’s pictures took one for the team. I reloaded the page and they came up. I’ll report if a pattern emerges. Still - two page loads is better than four.

I have noticed the same pattern. That one started after we upgraded the server software a few weeks ago. May have something to do with lazy loading or servers. A little harder to pin down.

Not complaining. Definitely improving. Sharing what I see. It’s only been once for me and I do check HO several times each day.