Eating in Toronto Entertainment District

I’m a long-time Toronto person but have been living mostly in London UK since 2000. I’m back in Toronto for a while but things have changed (of course, but notably the vibe and the prices!). I have a friend who is visiting for the first time at the end of December and staying at King and John Streets. I’m looking for:

• A child-friendly place for one evening (3 year old) other than the Spaghetti Factory. Child is an adventurous eater.

• A place for five adults and said three year old to eat that’s not too noisy but not fancy either. There’s some interest in Latin American/Mexican (with more than just tacos) but seems most of the places in the area aren’t rated so highly and $$$. I’m at Bloor/Lansdowne so I’m spoiled but it’s a bit far to drag them. (Am considering The Chefs House for that first night. I love it there.)

Anything else you want to tell me about - she’s here for only four days and I have a rough plan to show her : Chinatown/Kensington Market following on from city hall skating shenanigans; Union Station/Royal York and heading over to St Lawrence Market; Yorkville/Bloor for something fancy; Queen West and West Queen West. While I have some things in mind for eating, I may be out of date/touch.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m going to suggest you look at

Your personal Toronto and Greater Toronto Area Top 10

Kensington Market report [Toronto]

St. Lawrence Market report [Toronto]

The Bibs of Toronto

Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

Japanese restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, groceries, etc in [Toronto]

[Toronto] The places in Toronto that you visit over and over again

Yorkville has changed over the past 20 years (continually changing), and it doesn’t have too many worthwhile restaurants anymore.

The It Spots tend to be found along Dundas West (west of Bathurst), on Ossington, scattered through parts of the east end.

Please avoid Yorkville for dining.

3 Likes

Re: A child-friendly place for one evening (3 year old) other than the Spaghetti Factory. Child is an adventurous eater.

Swatow or Rol San in Chinatown, Terroni for pasta, or Mezes on Danforth for Greek

Re: A place for five adults and said three year old to eat that’s not too noisy but not fancy either. There’s some interest in Latin American/Mexican (with more than just tacos) but seems most of the places in the area aren’t rated so highly and $$$. I’m at Bloor/Lansdowne so I’m spoiled but it’s a bit far to drag them.

There aren’t that many sit-down Mexican restaurants with dishes beyond tacos around town. Most that attract a Mexican clientele are on St Clair W.

El Trompo in Kensington Market is okay and they have a few dishes beyond tacos. I haven’t tried the other Mexican restaurants with table service in Kensington Market. The Peruvian empanadas at Latin Taste on Baldwin are good. I like the empanadas and choripan (sausage on a bun) at Segovia Meats, which is take-out only.

I still haven’t found too many places doing mains like enchiladas or chiles rellenos well.

FWIW, I don’t think Bloor and Lansdowne is too far to drag Toronto visitors staying at King & John. When I have friends visit, I regularly take them to Roncesvalles for Polish food, Ossington for ItSpots, St Clair West for tacos & gelato, Danforth for Greek food.

It’s around a 30 minute TTC ride or 20 minute taxi from King & John to Bloor & Lansdowne.

On St Clair W, I like Itacate for tacos. It’sa bare bones with only a few tables and mostly has soup/ posole/tacos. My friend likes King’s Tacos. Tenoch looks popular with Spanish speakers.

I did not enjoy Atomic on St Clair W, which is not owned by Mexicans.

For upscale interesting Mexican with table service, there is Quetzal, but that will cost a lot more. Expect to pay $60/ adult at a place like that.

Re: Anything else you want to tell me about - she’s here for only four days and I have a rough plan to show her : Chinatown/Kensington Market following on from city hall skating shenanigans; Union Station/Royal York and heading over to St Lawrence Market

Could do a bifana sandwich, peameal bacon on a bun, veal/eggplant parm sandwich at St Lawrence Market. There is a SukhoThai nearby which has affordable Thai and would be a place to bring a child

Re: Yorkville/Bloor for something fancy

Eataly in the Manulife Centre has pizza by the slice on the 2nd floor, and cannoli made to order, as well as gelato.

Re: Queen West and West Queen West

Queen West has become High Street Shopping Chains. Not too many interesting things there anymore. NaNa Thai is the main restaurant that I have visited more than a few times on Queen West over the past 5 years. I like their pad thai, fried chicken larb, Vietnamese style spring rolls. There’s also a Terroni location (mid level Italian) on Queen West near Palmerston.

Further west on Queen, and up Ossington has more interesting restaurants and bakeries. Union has a year-round patio at the back which is nice and I like their bistro food. Venezia Bakery on Ossington had traditional pasteis de nata and other Portuguese sweets.

1 Like

Agreed re Yorkville. I’ll time things to not have to eat there. All the links are great - many not linked or tied to areas so it’s a bit of a research project. This is very useful, thanks. Can I get agreement that the Entertainment District isn’t so great for food, or am I missing a gem?

1 Like

I’d avoid the Entertainment District for food. It’s a tourist trap area with many chains, with mediocre food at the same price as better food a kilometre west.

Much better value and more interesting options if they head west of Bathurst.

If they need to eat in the Entertainment District, there is a Libretto Pizza on University a couple blocks south of Queen serving Neapolitan pizza, long running decent and affordable Queen Mother serving Pad Thai and bistro food on Queen W near the Rex, Le Select Bistro on Wellington (new ownership and new location since you left town).

Former Chowhound Monte runs Khao San Road (cheap Thai) and NaNa (better Thai IMO), and my friend owns Salad King (affordable Thai), and a friend of a friend owns Pai (affordable Thai). All these Thai options I mention have locations within walking distance of the Entertainment District.

One interesting option might be Little Sister’s Portland location , with Dutch Indonesian food. Full disclosure, I’m friends with the owner of Little Sister, too. It’s upscale.

3 Likes

For the child-friendly option, consider:

Richmond Station - the kids menu features an organic, grass-fed burger with aged cheddar on a milk bun. The adult menu remains great.

Agree that the Entertainment District has many tourist traps and the overall cost of dining is higher. In addition to Phoenikia’s suggestions:

Figo - lovely pastas, pizzas, homemade ricotta
Tutti Matti - more Tuscan-ish; get the eggplan “meatballs” with pizza dough
Marked - pan-South American menu
Shook - mainly vegetarian, Middle Eastern-y - great shakshouka
Byblos - upscale Lebanese
Myth - upscale Greek
Lapinou - French bistro
Baro - Latin American

2 Likes

Nice recommendations, @DrJohn.

2 Likes
1 Like

I like The Oxley in Yorkville for a nice gastropub lunch.

2 Likes

(@calam1ty has been living in the UK )

1 Like

Forget I mentioned it then. Bye bye.

2 Likes

I do like the Oxley, too! :slightly_smiling_face: might get takeout tonight.

Yorkville has decent food spots other than the obvious starred places.
Kibo secret garden, Nervosa, Bhoj to name a few.