Easter and Passover Inspiration

What are you planning to make, order and/or eat this Easter and/or Passover?

I haven’t figured out what to make for Western Easter next weekend .

I will make lamb and spanakopita, and Easter bread, on Greek / Orthodox Easter (April 24th this year). Thinking about stuffed grape leaves with avgolemono sauce, as well.
This Easter bread/ Tsoureki Muffin recipe worked well for me.

4 Likes

I always have asparagus for both holidays. It’s so springy!

3 Likes

I think I might do asparagus next Sunday!

My favorite way to have it is steamed, then room temperature with some lemon. That’s good because you can make it ahead. My daughter loves it roasted with olive oil.

2 Likes

I sometimes braise them in water with butter.

2 Likes
1 Like

First egg was too soft- I scraped it into a pan and scrambled it.

Trying a cola or cola pineapple-glazed ham tonight, with scalloped potatoes and maybe Cretan spinach hand pies called kalitsounia

5 Likes

For our Easter early dinner today: Grilled lamb chops (because they were barely affordable), pommes Anna, roasted asparagus, a variety of deviled eggs and of course, the ancient carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. This year I made some cupcakes too, and tinted some of the frosting green and decorated with patches of ‘grass’ and stuck itty bitty chocolated bunny shapes on the ‘grass’. I’m ditching the Hollandaise sauce (for the asparagus) this year and not we’re not having the traditional ‘Eggs El Tovar’ that we usually have for breakfast/brunch. How many Easters is this we’ve been shut in because of the pandemic?—THREE—I’m going to scream! And it is snowing!:rabbit2::snowflake: Thankfully I have fresh chives for the potatoes, yay!

6 Likes

With an abundance of opportunities to cook I’ve been an uninspired slug so nothing is on the menu. I cleaned out a cupboard this AM. :muscle:

3 Likes
3 Likes

What is everyone planning?

I have been gleaning my recipe collection this winter and although there are lots of possible Easter (for us) menu ideas, I am not really inspired. I was thinking of butterflied leg of lamb marinated with red wine pomegranate, garlic and rosemary. Too much moola. Cornish game hens? Maybe someone else in the fam will cook this year. Then, steelhead looks attractive.

3 Likes

I’ve been buying boneless lamb sirloin, 1-2 lbs, instead of a whole leg lately, which works for us and costs less money than a 4 or 5 lb leg.

I usually do lamb, spanakopita and Easter bread.

I am thinking about getting a splurge fancy brunch to go on Easter Sunday. We will see .

3 Likes

That’s a cut I could get excited about. Non exisistent in our markets. Spanakopita sounds good!

1 Like

Just a leg of lamb… maple syrup and jam, butterscotch clouds, a tangerine and a side order of ham.

1 Like

This pork tenderloin stuffed with Gorgonzola and Radicchio was excellent https://nationalpost.com/life/food/easter-feasts-from-butcher-peter-sanagans-new-book-cooking-meat/wcm/4dd9caed-233d-498a-a03b-a09252b735d3

1 Like

Had a small Easter brunch with a few friends: kept the menu light because they had a big family dinner later in the day. We had mimosas, spinach, feta and polenta pie, https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/greek-style-spinach-feta-polenta-pie.html fennel and orange salad https://www.themediterraneandish.com/fennel-orange-salad/ and a baguette from Pompette. Dessert was a chocolate coconut cake from Snacking cakes.

6 Likes

Sounds perfect!

I went with poached eggs with Hollandaise, Fa By smoked salmon and sautéed spinach, Easter pâté en croute from Sanagans in Toronto, peach, chocolate and amaretto Galup Colomba Italian Easter bread from Eataly for brunch.

Dinner will be barbacoa lamb, Mexican street-style roasted carrots, cumin oregano roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, charro beans

and asparagus. Purchased La Rocca Jamocha Almond Fudge cake for dessert.

6 Likes

This year, as with last year, was this Bon Appetit recipe for slow cooked salmon:

I also made a warm lentil salad and a take and bake rosemary loaf. Boxed brownie mix for a low effort dessert.

3 Likes

Greek Easter

7 Likes