Do You Send Food Gifts For The Holidays?

Thanks for posting your cookie recipe @TheCookie.

2 Likes

Haha, thanks…but it’s no contest here! I might win for randomest assortment tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. My dad’s gift started out with the stocking, made by my childhood quilter friend. I got the idea to fill it with snacks that he would like, shopped my pantry, and…it got a little out of control. I ended up going to the Asian market for more supplies to round out the gift (forgot there were also Thai curry pastes in that magic box!). And then, we had just been camping and I really enjoyed our Kleen Kanteen insulated cups, so I thought one for my dad would be nice, and engraved would help him not lose it :rofl:.

For the movie night box, the options on Amazon were pretty poor and expensive, and I knew I could make my own much better at the Dollar Tree.

5 Likes

You are very imaginative. Okay, I don’t want to make you blush so I’ll stop now. But I’m stealing some of those ideas.

P.S. Like your dad I’m really into cold drinks and have the Corkcicle w/a reusable straw. If I lose it I might check out that Kleen Kanteen.

3 Likes

Have to add - shopped for a total non-homemade flat rate box for a dear friend who was a life long Californian who moved to Pittsburgh. Her gift? Eight bags (or as many as I can fit in a box!) of Marie Callenders corn bread mix.

Yes, I know it’s sweet. Yes I know she could make it herself. But she misses it so, so? Into the box it goes!

4 Likes

I have made marmalade from the classic bitter oranges and? From the Alton Brown recipe that uses regular oranges, some lemons and not as much sugar. Maybe I am clueless but I like the Alton Brown recipe more. It just tastes a bit “fresher”.

But again, this is me = clueless.

Haha… I’d miss El Torito Corncake Mix.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Now that I could imagine being very good. It was my imagination of “just regular oranges” marmalade (no lemons) that wasn’t quite working in my mind. Like if an American-style Chinese restaurant made sweet & sweet sauce. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tempered chocolate for chocolate bark. I think I understand, and the next batch will be there.

7 Likes

:blush: thanks!

1 Like

@DavidPF -
It’s just one lemon - but it makes a big difference. And you use its rind, grated, as well.

3 Likes

Finished!

16 Likes

Do you think Satsumas would work? I think the ones I have might be considered a bit tart (but not to me!).

I might try this one, because stretching it out over days helps me overcome my tendency to procrastinate.

This was interesting;

2 Likes

BBQ Spice blend, and spiced nuts.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing a peek into your gift box bounty! Everything you prepared is stunning. Your chocolate bark in particular has me swooning. Want to make that sometime.

2 Likes

Yesterday I gifted more food without even realizing it. My friend studied abroad in Italy and she’s also into funky German wines at the moment. We took a wine tasting class together pre COVID. I got her a pannetone, box of taralli, a bottle of unfiltered, minimal-intervention Müller Thurgau, and as we both love Asheville, a chocolate-dipped peanut butter cookie from French Broad Chocolate.

And some clothes for her kids.

7 Likes

Stunning. I’d be thrilled to get that box!

1 Like

Thank you! Each thing was sort of simple but all together it was probably more fiddly than I’d anticipated.

2 Likes

Thank you! I especially like the idea of not adding to just more clutter.

3 Likes