Do you fry eggs in butter, veg oil, olive oil, or something else?

Mostly breakfast stuff. I always cook French Toast on it. Not bacon or sausage because the lip is too shallow. Grilled cheese & Monte Cristo sandwiches although I haven’t made MC’s in a long time. My personal favorite egg for breakfast is poached. Especially when they come on top of corned beef hash.

And… it’ll soon be corned beef hash season at our house.

1 Like

Not a leathery-egg girl.

I make frittate, so it’s been a long time since I’ve cooked an omelette.

I only eat eggs for lunch or dinner. If it were healthy for me, I would skip breakfast altogether, but I try to eat something more than a just a carb with my coffee. That’s generally a bit of yoghurt and some non-acidic fruit. French toast or corned beef hash would be beyond me!

“If it were healthy for me, I would skip breakfast altogether, but I try to eat something more than a just a carb with my coffee.”

Mrs. O prefers toast and tea in the mornings, but I wake up thinking about breakfast. Coffee first only to get it taken care of so I can get those eggs going. And they’re usually scrambled fairly stiff with some cheese in them. I love frittate and frequently make them for myself; frizzled edges on those are the closest thing to burnt egg I can tolerate, I think because they’re fried and not simply scorched. But anything between scorched and those super-soft scrambles everyone seems so nuts about now (yuck) is fine with me. Some dead animal on the side, anything from fish to a lamb chop. is always welcome too. I can easily skip lunch …

1 Like

Every site I saw when Googling said 119/120.

I can eat smoked fish for breakfast, and one of things I look forward to when I travel within Europe is staying in hotels in countries that offer various forms of herring on their breakfast buffets.

I only make frittate on top of the stove, and before I flip the frittata, I will often keep tipping the pan while I lift the edges of the frittata with a spatula, so that the uncooked liquid egg on top runs under the lifted edges to the hot pan. With less runny egg on top (and the bottom not left to burn while the top “sets”), that makes it easier to flip the frittata, which I generally do by sliding the frittata onto a dinner plate, then flipping it “face down” back into the hot pan, which I then move off the heat and let the frittata finish cooking off the flame. So the edges are never frizzled if you are looking to avoid that.

Well, to be honest I’m not. I do not flip mine but prefer to oven-brown, and I enjoy both the frizzly edges and the slightly overheated finish, usually with half-melted avocados. Yum. Now I want one for tomorrow!

1 Like

At the risk of people telling me they once had an avocado in a high-end Roman restaurant, there are no avocadoes as we know them where I live and putting one in anything called a “frittata” would be novel.

I spent most of my youth in California, and in several places I lived we had avocado trees on the property, so I’ve eaten my fair share and thensome. They are marvels of nature in every way. I never had them cooked, however, or even warm.

Coconut oil melts into a thin liquid that cooks eggs the best IMO. And it has no flavor at all the I can discern.

1 Like

bacon fat, butter or both. Butter does wonderful things for eggs.

Really? To me it has a quite distinctive aroma and taste. But I’ve only used coconut oil a few times, and never used it to cook eggs, so maybe there are types I didn’t have that test less of coconut than what I had.

1 Like

Extra virgin coconut oil has quite a distinctive flavor, but lower grades tend to be flavorless (like olive oil). One can also buy “deodorized” coconut oil that is fairly flavorless.

I use the popular coconut oil marketed as having multiple beneficial health advantages. The refined is also marketed as being versatile because of the lack of odor or flavor. Unfortunately, it is not inexpensive. I like the LouAnna brand found in my area but there are many brands on the shelf.

http://www.louana.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=75

Thanks. I’m sure it is somewhere it Italy, but I might as well just drink the olive oil from the garden outside. Makes me feel good, and I like the taste with frittate & herbs.

I had a nutritionist friend in the US who sold me on the benefits of something like a spoonful of coconut oil a day. I would put it in smoothies, which was fine, but it did make them taste coconutty. I especially liked the smell of it. If I left the jar open, the whole kitchen would smell like coconut donuts.

But I kept forgetting to take it, and I got nervous about its shelf life, and I think I used it up as hair conditioner!

2 Likes

They’re a staple in both omelets and frittatas in California, and delicious in both. Pair up beautifully with ham and cheese. The state Avocado Council had a series of billboards a couple of years ago and AVOCADO FRITTATA! was the theme of one. As for their use in hot foods, I have an avocado cookbook from the early Fifties, though a lot of the recipes seem to have been born of the need to fill the damn book …

1 Like

My exposure to avocado paired with other foods is limited to avocado, bacon and alfalfa sprout sandwiches on whole wheat bread, which seemed to be all the rage at some point in my past. (Sunflower seeds on them too? Sold in the refrigerator section of health food stores?)

Do Mexicans cook avocado? Something about the idea of avocado warmed doesn’t appeal to me. Nor matched with cheese. I guess I just find the taste so unique that I would just rather eat them plain, but I do eat guacamole and like it (without mayonnaise!).

However, since Italians don’t have avocado, I have cognitive dissidence hearing “avocado frittata”.

I don’t like avocados warm either - the texture and flavor are just weird that way, IMO. The Cheesecake Factory is famous (notorious?) for their avocado egg rolls, which are served fresh from the fryer, and I find them absolutely repulsive. I’ll do guacamole in a burrito, but please, no slices of avocado inside my omelet. They are very good on cold sandwiches, though, or in a bacon sandwich where only the bacon is hot.

2 Likes

BUTTER is BETTER. Also, it’s good for you! Time to feed your soul!!

Here’s some info on avocados in Italy:

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/106433/Italy-Hass-is-the-most-popular-variety-in-the-European-market

And here I’d been thinking I was all alone, [quote=“catholiver, post:59, topic:2743”]
Here’s some info on avocados in Italy:
[/quote]

Thanks! The link is interesting. I did know that there is a huge European appetite for avocado. I especially run into them in the UK and Germany, and I do seem to recall seeing creative tapas in Spain with avocado. But I assumed they were from South America. I didn’t see any in Sicily when I was there, neither on trees or on plates or in markets, and they don’t show up in classic Sicilian recipes, but Sicily has long been successful growing cash crops for export, ones generally Italians don’t eat and have almost no domestic distribution.

The avocado I most commonly see in an Italian supermarket is either from Israel or South Africa, and they are not Haas, but shiny skinnned and larger, more symetrically oval – and hard with yellowish flesh, even when “ripe.” They are very similar to a caribbean avocado I am used to from my days in New York City, and I don’t like them. (Maybe they need to be cooked!)

Since much of the flora and terra of Italy so strongly resembles aspects of southern California, I have often wondered why Italians don’t grow avocado just like they do other things that grow well in California. I have thought that maybe the mediterranean fruit fly makes it impossible in the microclimate areas where it would otherwise thrive.

Even the ones that are flavorless to me taste strongly of coconut to my non coconut loving husband. I’m guessing some of the difference is also hereditary tastebud differences?