Do you fry eggs in butter, veg oil, olive oil, or something else?

Butter. I’ve also failed whenever I try to use olive oil when frying eggs. They’ve stuck to the pan every time.

there’s two ways I’ve found to do stick-free over easy eggs:

Teflon
30-40 year seasoned cast iron.

either case I can flip-o-the-wrist toss the sunny side up eggs to do a over easy.

if I’m not doing bacon, I just wipe a Teflon pan with the end of a butter stick. what… 0.002 tsp…

doing bacon, pour out & wipe cast iron; in with the eggs. sometimes the egg will want to stick a bit - a tsp of water “dissolves” the stick and it’ll flip easy.

this approach used to work with patty sausage as well, but some danged fool took out all the fat to make it ‘healthy’

For “fried eggs” like 2 eggs sunny-side up or over easy, I would use butter if I still ate eggs cooked that way, but I don’t.

I scramble eggs plain in butter, but normally cook frittate in olive oil (because of the other ingredients, which where I live are all mediteranean)

I always cook eggs in a Teflon pan, even if I am using fat.

Ok I’m not going to say cook a half pound or more of bacon, pull it out while leaving the grease, then essentially poach your eggs in the hot fat while using a spatula to baste-cook the tops of the eggs rather than flip them over. That surely can’t be healthy.

Then again, it isn’t necessary to add salt.

3 Likes

I want to believe, but I simply can’t get enough pan coverage from less than a tablespoon of oil or butter, and usually need more for a 2-egg cook.

When frying my eggs I use a 8" non stick pan with a lid . I’ll use olive oil , butter , bacon fat , or lardo . I only use a teaspoon of it . I cover the pan when cooking . Just don’t break the yolk .

Hanging head in shame.

We eat a fried egg most mornings and I use cooking spray to lub a Teflon pan to fry our eggs.

In defense of the egg, the spray adds near zero flavor

If you have a good non-stick pan, you really don’t need fat at all, but I must say the eggs do taste better with it!

This is funny.

Bacon: It’s not just for dessert any more.

2 Likes

Oil and butter in a cast iron pan.
Sadly, my new diet restricts egg yolks so it’s egg white omelettes and tortilla these days.

I agree. Also, cooking eggs in a smallish non-stick frying pan helps when it comes to flipping the eggs.

I use butter scrambling eggs in a non stick pan mainly because I like the flavor, especially since I usually eat buttered toast or potatoes along with scrambled eggs.

For a frittata, I usually want first to nicely sauté and soften some onion and other veg in the pan before pouring in the beaten eggs, so then I prefer using olive oil (in whatever amount is needed for a complete sauté).

For eggs with a runny yolk, if I was concerned that animal fat might be less healthy than vegetable oils, I’d probably skip the fat altogether and poach the eggs.

I agree, but you need a lot less fat/oil than in a non-non-stick pan. (Somehow, calling it a “stick-pan” doesn’t sound right, ya know?)

I use a little oil & a little butter. It’s usually vegetable oil & I use it because it prevents the butter from burning. I use a well-seasoned CI Griddle for fried eggs.

That’s really the very best.

I won’t have any non stick applied surfaces in my kitchen, just not my thang.

What else do you like to cook with your cast iron griddle?

I got a cheap nonstick which worked for a while, then didn’t. Stuck even with oil or butter. I went back to my (very) old steel pan, started pouring in some grapeseed oil and then a dab of butter, and then eggs. A little stickage at first, and then I began to let the pan cool off completely before wiping it out, and scrubbing stuck-on bits as gently as possible … and after a few days it became essentially nonstick. I’ve read than unsalted butter works best to avoid sticking; I’m guessing that has to do with relative moisture content.

Isn’t the sticking more to do with how high the heat is? I cook eggs on a low heat – but truth is I don’t eat eggs sunnyside up or over easy anymore.

Do people find poaching too difficult? If I frequently wanted cooked eggs with runny yolks and didn’t want to use much fat, or deal with eggs sticking to a pan, maybe I’d invest in an egg poacher.

Me too, with exception of lardo, never use it. The same cover method works as you can control the doneness of the eggs, but on occasion I will flip my eggs for more than “over easy.”…

I prefer poached, but sometimes I’m too impatient and just fry them. No egg poacher, just water & a splash of vinegar.

The heat will determine how the egg cooks, but I’ve had more problems with sticking on moderate heat than either high or low. The classic French omelet is cooked on high heat – Julia Childs’ demonstration on the tonight Show back in the Johnny Carson days was my Omelet Gospel for years: heat the pan on high flame, add butter, add the eggs when the foam subsides and shake the pan a lot. Fill, roll, turn out. Should be leathery on the outside, moist inside. Eric Ripert, on the other hand, preaches low heat, butter melted but not sizzling, LIGHTLY beaten eggs poured in and cooked gently (also shaking the pan to keep it unattached), which gives an omelet so tender it’s hard to roll without breaking. On my gas cooktop it also requires a cast-iron flame tamer.