Do the eggs have eyes?

I like eggs cooked a lot of different ways except fried - do not like crisp whites and don’t like hard scrambled. Also have never got the hang of cracking the shell off the top of a soft-boiled egg but love getting them in British B&B’s served in those darling egg cups with soldiers for dipping. Breakfast is an infrequent meal for me, and if we have a rare breakfast out I always order my eggs poached - leaves very little to up to chance although the last time I had them, they were served in individual ramekins swimming in vinegar flavored water…

2 Likes

The interesting thing about eggs is that no matter how they’re fixed, whether it be fried, scrambled, hard boiled, poached etc. Each simple preparation tastes so differently. What other foodstuff can you say that about.

5 Likes

As I gave this topic more thought I realized I forgot to mention my all time favorite eggs; Creme Eggs by Cadbury!!!

7 Likes

I cannot “like” that, but that’s the way husband likes his. I like mine “overceasy”. Runny yolk but the white must be cooked.

2 Likes

Precisely how I like my eggs.
I’m a big egg sandwich fan, over easy eggs on toast or English muffin with bacon, jam and plenty of hot sauce.

3 Likes

I’m going to want to have a few footnotes on all things egg.

2 Likes

My Mum used to have one of those pans for poached eggs.

1 Like

In my childhood, fried eggs over hard, with frizzled brown edges. I’ve come a long way since baby. Now it’s sunny side up, set white, runny yolk. Or scrambled until barely set. And I love soft-boiled eggs. Fun fact: the hobby of collecting egg cups is called pocillovy.

7 Likes

That’s intriguing!

And yes @Auspicious, I know you use a pot. Grin.

2 Likes

And my husband agrees with you - he loves a runny egg with set whites. He’ll eat over hard eggs too, but won’t touch hard boiled. Weird how specific and unique each person’s preferences are when it comes to the humble chicken egg!

4 Likes

Indeed. My companion’s general preference is that it be on someone else’s plate. But then, she also doesnt like mashed potato, so what do you expect?

1 Like

So if I use a shot glass as an egg cup (I have) and I happen to collect shot glasses (I don’t), would that make me a pocillovist?

No. That would make you someone who is using inappropriate tools for the job in hand. :grinning:

2 Likes

Really? The center of gravity is lower. That makes it more stable. It could well be a better tool.

cooked in a cup / shallow depression thingie - is that not “coddled?”
vs
cooked directly in water = “poached?”

2 Likes

I love, love, love runny yolks, so over easy is my restaurant request. (A local breakfast place does fried green tomato Benedict…absolutely luscious with runny yolks)

My chef pal laughed at my poaching eggs in the microwave…till he saw my perfectly round poached eggs with no “fringe” and a lovely runny yolk.

2 Likes

You’d get that using the clingfilm method. Line a ramekin or small cup with clingfilm and a goodly amount of overhang. Break egg into it. Twist clingfilm. Remove and poach. Remove clingfilm.

Seen it done on TV. Never tried it

Yes :raised_hands:

This is close to what I do.

As usual, I just use a pot.

1 Like

Hard yolks are right up there with well-done steak.

Egg yolks are nature’s nectar.

Don’t mess with perfection.

4 Likes