Did I cook last night?

Ah, pierogis.

I also buy mine frozen from the Polish grocers a couple of miles away.

Lol typo noted and corrected !
( I have to learn to stop posting without my glasses, truth is I can’t proof read and am assuming autocorrect is doing the job that I can’t do without my glasses )

You got a good gazpacho recipe?

It was a genuine question. Whilst they looked like pierogis, I thought maybe you Yanks had perigees as well.

1 Like

What’s the ONE recipe of yours we have to try?

1 Like

I consider this assembly cooking.
It still is using spices, herbs, garlic onions etc.
So it is doctoring something up that is already prepared or boiling pasta and opening jared sauce and assembling them together.
It’s a little different than traditional cooking which would be cooking raw ingredients and simmering over a low heat to have the flavours meld together.

3 Likes

Yes, @NotJrvedivici you cooked. Anything that requires more than taking something out of the package and putting it directly onto the plate (such as a cold sandwich or a pre-made microwavable meal) is cooking.

We HO’s are spoiled because we mostly all know how to cook, and cook very well at that. But I think we overestimate the skills of the average person. There are simply a lot of people out there who have no abilities in the kitchen whatsoever-- the “burn water” types.

Even such mundane tasks as heating frozen pierogies (whether you added sautéed onions or not) and mixing a powdered gravy is a “lot” for some people. Believe me, as you know I work in food service and we have people in our establishment EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Sometimes for lunch AND dinner. That doesn’t tell me our product is just that amazing, it says they don’t know how to cook!

7 Likes

To keep your pickles crisp, add a piece of fresh horseradish or a few grape leaves to the brine. Or you can use a bit of calcium chloride, aka Pickle Crisp, if you don’t want to add any other flavors.

4 Likes

Thanks basia. I’ve used grape leaves or bay leaves which are supposedly interchangeable. The grape leaves are harder (for me) to come by - only if I happen to be traveling in a certain direction. The Pickle Crisp sounds like it might be more regularly doable.

Thanks again.

LoL, Greg! My wife used to joke that she had one recipe under her belt - toasted cheese - but she burned it half the time through inattention.

She’s gotten a bit better over the years, though, especially as our kids have blossomed as good cooks she’s worked some to try to catch up.

4 Likes

Ok welcome to; “Did I cook last night season 1 episode 2.

Here we have tonights dinner, leftovers and pizza made with reclaimed items. I had a 3 day old loaf of “everything” bread slowly hardening in the fridge. Can of jarred tomato sauce as well as protein borrowed from my wife’s stir fry take out leftovers. Some garlic toast points made from the same left over bread.

Took the chicken and sausage from the stir fry leftovers as protein for the thick bread pizza. The remaining rice and vegetables re-heated in the microwave and the garlic toast points were god enough for any local pizza joint! Lol

I’m enjoying this now it gets me out of actually cooking. Lol I tell my wife I gotta keep my online audience entertained so I’m not giving this up anytime soon!

I hit a new goal of down 45lbs since the new year and sobriety from alcohol during the same period. Yes, I literally walked around with 45lbs of excess vodka bloat. So tonight I’m allowing a night of carb raging! Lol

Join me post some of your best “recycled” meals!

11 Likes

Hi, Junior:

This really is a great thing to mull.

My working definition of ‘cooking’ involves denaturing of food, by thermal or chemical means. By that measure, you qualified, if only by dint of the alliums.

Others can have looser definitions. Reheating that which is already denatured, I suppose a case can be made. Hell, some may consider popping a Pringles can to be cooking.

Glad you’re here.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Share, please?

Or

Both vetted and delicious.

2 Likes
1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My husband has been spoiled regarding what he thinks of as me “cooking”. My “cheat” is freezing something and serving as if I’d just made it. He sometimes seems suspicious, I think because I am in too good a mood.

4 Likes

Any time you combine two things, even if they are already cooked things, and heat the new thing up it’s cooking in my book!

And if a recipe exists for it - even if no heat is involved - makes the final product cooking.

3 Likes

Enough about you, lets talk about me.

It’s a special treat having the honor of being the 10th person to like a post.

🙇‍♂️

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

My daughter seems to prefer taking a train to and from Trader Joe’s (or Whole foods - can’t recall which), to cutting up a cauliflower she could get nearby! And tries to go when there are no lines!
:astonished:

1 Like

This is very funny!

1 Like