Diamond Kosher Salt

David Lebovitz unlocked and posted this NY Times article about Diamond Kosher salt.

I’m extremely disappointed in Cargill for following Enlisted Design’s recommendations:

Raising the price because according to Enlisted Design “affordability stirs questions about quality".

Removing the Star of David from the box because Enlisted Design suggested that religious cues can limit “consumer range.”

I admit that I will continue to use Diamond Kosher salt because, to me, it’s indispensable in cooking and baking.

4 Likes

This reminds me of the Tropicana design change.

You know what they say, if it’s not broke …

5 Likes

Of course you could still buy the restaurant version, instead of the “consumer” version.

Restaurant version

Consumer version

The three pound boxes will be sold in the new packaging with no Star of David.

The new “consumer versions” are simply smaller amounts.
I will continue to buy three pound boxes.

@maccrogenoff , would you be okay with combining these threads?

I got the new box on Sunday.

In my view the threads are different. Mine is about antisemetism and justifying price increases by promoting elitism. The other thread is about the product itself.

However, I won’t fight for them to be kept separate.

2 Likes

I agree that they are not the same.

2 Likes

The new labeled diamond kosher salt is 10.69 for 26 oz . I will continue to buy it . A value at 50 cents a week for myself. About 6 months of use

What is the big deal about Kosher salt. I think some of you make a mountain out of a molehill.

1 Like

Believe it or not, not all salt contains the same amount salt, and not all salt is shaped the same.

It matters.

2 Likes

I knew that. Guess it just depends on how picky people are when it comes to something as simple as salt.

Aaaaand a Seriou Eats Kosher salt update!

1 Like

This may belong in the other topic on this. I can’t really follow which is which.

So, somehow they thought that a Star of David was a “religious cue” but the word Kosher was not???
I’m not at all sure I get the logic of that. .

4 Likes

Technically, and in reality, you could keep Kosher and not be Jewish (or follow Judaism).

I can’t imagine why anyone would.

The Kosher laws are complex. They are expensive and time consuming to follow.

They also made the word Kosher less prominent.

Clearly, they are trying to distance themselves from Judaism while keeping their Jewish customers.

5 Likes

Of course, but I’m saying the word and the star are the same type of ‘cue’ if cues are your concern.

Sure it does, by weight.

Excluding the salts with trace minerals, the only big difference is that denser salts melt more slowly–lighter salts allow for “truer” tasting (and adjusting) more quickly because they dissolve faster.

Not by volume, which is what matters when people are cooking with specialized salts, like Kosher.

I’ve been a Morton Kosher Salt user since I started using it, probably because it was at the market I was shopping at at the time. My now very local supermarket (Market Basket) doesn’t carry the boxes of Morton - only Diamond Crystal. I needed it, so I bought it. Can’t remember the front of the box, but I think it was the mostly red box, not the newer white box. However, I also remember last time I bought DC salt, I had to learn to adjust to the amount of salt I used.

I think this table is a good guide to remember:

5 Likes