Diamond Crystal Kosher salt vs salt flakes

Husband says none of the usual Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, only “flakes” when grocery shopping today. Folks on Reddit wondering why they can’t find the “salt”.

Turns out it’s just new packaging, and maybe less in each box. One poster on Reddit wrote “26 oz instead of 48, and of course, the price is higher…”
Screenshot from the Diamond Crystal website.

Also, new products;

Am I the last to know? Has anyone tried the product in the new packaging? Is it the same product?

I haven’t tried this yet. It only seems to have been available in my local Shoprite in the past few months, and I’m still making my way through a Costco-size box of Morton’s. I couldn’t find DC kosher salt for some time, and there was something called “Superior Crystal” in boxes suspiciously like the old DC design, which seem to have also disappeared. No idea if there was a connection there.
If I recall, DC was a “flakier” salt compared to Morton’s, and elsewhere on the DC site mentions that it’s the same salt used in restaurants for decades. If it is the same, then I will be very happy as I find the Morton’s a little too salty for my taste.

1 Like

I just picked up a box of this from TJs but I haven’t tried it out yet. Diamond crystal is hit or miss- mostly miss to find in Minnesota. I’m thinking more finishing salt than cooking salt?

1 Like

The kosher is the same. I bought a box in the new packaging recently. It used to be they only had the 3 lb box which lasted me several years.

3 Likes

DC is hard to find locally, but Amazon gets it here quickly, three boxes at a time. There is a reason the restaurant industry likes it. It is easy to over season with more densely packed salts like Morton.

1 Like

DC is my preferred brand, but I’m still working on the giant box I bought about 2 yrs ago. Will have to keep an eye out for this shrink-flated packaging.

1 Like

I’ve NEVER seen DC out in the wild, and thus (like many of you) I am making my way through a big ol’ box of Morton’s. I wonder if DC is easier to find on the east coast? Morton’s IS a smaller grain size, so I always go just a little less than the recipe calls for, esp. when they mention their using DC salt specifically. Occasionally (as in Claire Saffitz’s almond cake recipe) they’ll give measurements for DC AND Morton’s, depending on which you have.

1 Like

I usually get it at Nugget Market here in N. California.

There’s a “where to buy it” form on the DC website linked in the first post, where you can enter your zip code.

Not every store near me in Nor Cal has it, but several do, and several TJ’s and Whole Foods in the Bay area seem to pop up as well.

We have two salt pigs, one by the and one where we eat, both filled with DC. We augment it chiefly with moist grey, Maldon, and Maldon smoked.

2 Likes

I have a box of DC so big my estate will probably have to deal with the remnants.

4 Likes

Along with the Costco foil and saran wrap… :joy:

3 Likes

So who sent you the surreptitious photos of the inside of my kitchen cabinet? :joy_cat:

I use Diamond crystal kosher salt for all cooking and baking. I use coarser sea salts for finishing. Some baking recipes specify Diamond.

3 Likes

And pickling recipes!

2 Likes

How big is it?

I jest. 3 lbs. But I rarely salt while cooking just for myself; sadly I listen to my cardiologist. Don’t get me wrong, I love salt. But - I allow myself some maldon’s flakes at the end, after everything is on my plate. And I’m very watchful. And I read all labels, all the time (not just for sodium). I’ve gotten used to it.

2 Likes

Thankfully I seem to be in good health despite salting as if I were cooking in a restaurant known for intense flavors. I go through a 3# box of DC about twice a year. I should not have read Salt Fat Acid Heat. I jest. It is brilliant.

3 Likes

No it really isn’t a “Finishing Salt”. It is typically used in cooking and is about half the weight of fine Salt
I first remember seeing it in Prokitchens earlier in my career.
It is easier to control than fine Salt, it is not iodized and does not have other additives.

3 Likes

I read it! I gotta do what I gotta do. Stuff happens. 1

1 Like

Diamond and Morton weigh differently by volume. A tablespoon of Morton Kosher is 15 grams, a tablespoon of Diamond Crystal is 10. It lists sel gris as 13 grams, but my sel gris is 12 grams as is my sicilian salt. These amounts are crucial for doughs and pickling and preserving. That is why it is best to get a recipe with salt by weight or as a ratio. My pickle brine is 3% salt regardless of the type.

4 Likes