Delicious surimi recipes?

One of our lunch guests’ kid likes surimi, but eventually he preferred other food and didn’t touch any, we end up with a big bag of them. I am not a big fan, is there any way to make it more delicious?

NB: I checked the ingredient of this particular bag, it is 38% fish.

1 Like

I would donate it to a food collective or something like that.

1 Like

I would use it in a seafood noodle soup or a stir fry. But I like (some kinds of) surimi - if you don’t, get rid of it.

1 Like

Usually I can eat this. But this one seems under seasoned and a bit too sweet for me.
I think a stir fry rice might do. I am going to add some ginger and wine to spice up the thing.

Actually I tried with the cat, he just walked away shaking his leg.

3 Likes

If it’s too sweet, maybe soondubu, so you can add a fair amount of heat.

Mine won’t eat supermarket cheddar. Efforts to make him less elitist have been unsuccessful thus far.

3 Likes

There is a mexican ceviche called Ceviche de Jaiba that is made with surimi, or “krab”. It’s not really seen in restaurants, but I’ve had it at many parties and people’s homes.

You chop the krab and mix it with lots of diced tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano/jalapeno pepper, and copious amounts of lime. Some people also add diced cucumber. Check for salt – you may not need it, depending on the krab. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour, and then serve on a tostada, or with tortilla chips for scooping. Add a few shakes of mexican hot sauce (the norm around here is Tapatio) on your tostada before eating. You can add avocado to it too if you like.

I don’t normally care for krab, but I don’t mind it like this.

2 Likes

I’ve had this before and I really like it - all the lime and spice covers up the sweetness of the surimi, which I don’t really care for. You could also make California rolls, or sub it into a crab dip recipe that has a lot of savory/spicy ingredients to counteract the sweet.

4 Likes

I would have sent the kid home with the goods and let his family figure out how he might eat it. Of course, not my thing to eat and I hate to waste food. Good luck!

1 Like

There used to be a Chinese buffet place where my guilty pleasure was krab mixed with cream cheese, then baked. I think there was some form of onion in it, though none was visible, and perhaps seasoned rice wine vinegar. Maybe coconut too? There was some sweetness to it. I would love to know the recipe.

2 Likes

Mix it with cream cheese and use it as a bagel spread

1 Like

Good to know a recipe that make good use of the ingredient. I think I will give it a try.

This look too good too, now I need more surimi!! I guess I can use real seafood.

Mine was asking when he saw us eating Tête de moine, luckily he was just curious and tasting. He found it too rich to want a lot.

Doesn’t sound very Chinese, good that they are getting creative.

I usually make it with squid, and my local Chinese market sells various fish balls & fish cakes by the pound - those are a good addition, too.

1 Like

My FIL…brought home 3 packages on sale, and it was sitting around…I gave it a shot in Fried Rice…given everything else in the pot, it was not too bad…but again that was a one time “shot”…

2 Likes

It sounds like a cousin of that old American Chinese classic Crab Rangoon to me.

5 Likes

I like surimi but I can understand how the sweetness is off putting to some. I like surimi salad made similar to tuna salad with mayo and celery. I’ve also used it to make Ritz Cracker “crab meat” stuffing for sole or shrimp a New England staple.

4 Likes

This kind of thing…?
http://blogchef.net/chinese-buffet-crab-casserole-recipe/

I see it most commonly in sushi as a “california roll” (i grew up in CA and have no idea why we are blamed for this!). Also seen it on menus as croquettes or “crab” cakes as a kosher option.
The spicy soondubu sounds like a great idea, maybe add in some clams, fish broth or other seafood to give it some proper fishy flavors

1 Like

Looks like it. Merci buttercups! I think this could be a fairly appealing casserole with the inclusion of rice or other cooked grain and some broccoli and red bell pepper.

1 Like