Delicious surimi recipes?

Not much of a recipe but I have thrown it into fettucine alfredo before with mushrooms too. Tasted not bad.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Many are interesting, I have chosen Ceviche de Jaiba, as surimi isn’t a substitute but an essential ingredient.

I made it some 2 weeks ago, adding avocado :avocado:. It was light and refreshing with the lime juice, would be even better for summer. Thanks!

4 Likes

Glad you liked it. It’s one of my favorites, even though I’m not a surimi fan.

Next time, try chopping everything up smaller. You can chop the surimi or shred it, but it should be in small pieces so it marinates with the lime and other ingredients. It totally changes the flavor profile when the surimi is chopped up because it integrates with the other ingredients.

Examples:

4 Likes

Thanks! You are very right, I didn’t look carefully at the photo of the recipe, will try again.

Those actually look pretty good for a surimi recipe. I may have to try them. Unfortunately, where I live, real crab is insanely expensive. Canned crab is typically vile.

It’s funny, but I’ve had real crab ceviche many times, and I prefer the surimi version! It just has a better mouth-feel to it.

You can also add chopped chrimp to it to make a shrimp-krab ceviche. Also very good.

3 Likes

Any new ideas?

Should I add Krab to a Russian salad?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I like surimi in kimbap and Thai omelets. And also sunomono.

2 Likes

I have to look up Thai omelette.

1 Like

There used to be an AYCE Chinese buffet nearby. One of the offerings was surimi baked with cream cheese and something with a sweet tang, perhaps sweetened rice vinegar or mirin. Ashamed to say I LOVED it.

2 Likes

There are quite a few Chinese buffet surimi casserole recipes online! Most involve cream cheese or cheddar!

Mac & Cheese with surimi and veg

https://www.saputospecialty.com/en/recipes/crab-rangoon-dip

1 Like

I wonder how often people end up eating surimi (or krab) without even knowing it. And thinking they’re actually eating, um, crab or lobster.

3 Likes

Judging by how often I see it called “snow crab,” a lot. I was once served a “lobster” bisque made with surimi. (I did not think it was lobster.)

2 Likes

I can’t imagine mistaking it for anything but for what it is.

3 Likes

Well, some of it is very good quality and pretty close to crab.

2 Likes

I’ll take your word for it, as I’ve only had not-fancy krab. Texture, flavor, looks … all off.

1 Like

I am making this tonight, I think!

Half the surimi in Enchiladas Suizas, and half the surimi in this Ceviche de Jaiba /Jaiva.