Coconut Milk?

I often make coconut milk. I dehydrate the leftover pulp in the oven and it becomes coconut flour. I put that into anything I happen to be cooking or baking or as a thickener. One coconut yields about 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour that can be easily used up here or there.

1 Like

So after it’s dried, just throw it in the Vitamix and make flour out of it?

What temp and how long in the oven to dehydrate?

Edit: and as a thickener, how does it compare volume-wise to something like cornstarch?

After grinding in a Vitamix, I squeeze out the coconut milk (first and second milk).

I just take the pulp, spread it out on a baking sheet, and put it overnight in the oven on a very low temperature, e.g. 175 deg F. I stir it once or twice before going to bed. It’s worked for me.

Actually, I was referring to doing the dried pulp in the VM to get flour. Obviously, the dried pulp can’t be the fineness of flour.

I make chickpea flour in the VM from dried chickpeas for falafel, so I am assuming I can get the same result with the dried coconut pulp.

I have a bunch of recipes that use flour or cornstarch for thickeners that I would assume would taste better with coconut flour. Still curious as to how well it works as a thickener.

I’m not able to access the map as to where they ship on their website.
I know that shipping is free in Canada over $130.00 it does state that on their website.
Perhaps it is just s matter of time?
Costco in Canada sells it according to their website do it pisdible to expand into the US market.
There are Whole Foods in Canada so they will have an in there also.

In the meantime enjoy the read:

https://www.ambrosia.ca/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-curry-masala-spiced-coconut-milk/

I remember doing that in the very early eighties for a long bean recipe, before I recall the canned stuff being widely available. I am glad to have so many choices now, and input from all of you. MIL favors the bars of “creamed coconut” for some things.

Like this

2 Likes

Hello again…

I’ve made a few dishes with my homemade coconut milk and they were great. But the last two were just OK as the market was out of coconuts and I bought canned (both the Safeway Select and the Thai Kitchen brands - which is all they carry now). I noticed there was a serious difference here… so I don’t want canned for any dish where the milk is a pretty main ingredient.

My first major issue (as I only cook for one or two) is that a $6 coconut makes too much, and it doesn’t keep well for all that long. So can I freeze some of the fresh coconut to use later? I ask as I saw something online recently that said this was not a good idea.

Secondly, I’ve seen folks use unsweetened shredded/flaked coconut that they simmer in water for the better part of an hour… and then finish up with the same method I use with fresh. The big advantage here is I can make exactly the amount I need (plus it’s cheaper - and way less work).

So have any of you made yours with packaged coconut? and how did it turn out?

Yes you can freeze Coconut Milk. It tends to be a bit separated after thawing but this can be remedied with a Burr Mixer or Blender.
Dry unsweetened Coconut can be used. I usually just steep in boiling water till room temp and then squeeze. I do find that it doesn’t produce that rich of a pressing and is a bit light on flavor. I question the simmering for an hour. I think that would alter the flavor significantly.
There are Coconut Milk Powders that are available that seem to be well liked and rated. Shelf stable and cheaper than canned. I have not used it myself but I plan to after reading about it for this response !

2 Likes

You can definitely freeze fresh coconut for a few months. Shred or grate it first.
The internet is full of instructions on how to do this, For e.g.:

3 Likes

That’s sounds disappointing. How long do you nuke it in the vitamix?

Yeah… I have seen everything from soaked overnight in the fridge, to an extended simmer, to doing one batch with warm water - and a second using the filtered output of the first instead of water (which sounds pretty good actually - especially if the initial result comes out a bit light).

No Vitamix used.

Yes you can freeze scraped coconut and use it later. No difference whatsoever.
Whether fresh or frozen, put boiling water, not tap water. Then leave it until you can squeeze it. And squeeze it while it is reasonably hot. That extracts more milk. Or if you can, grind it in blender a few minutes, then pour boiling water. That’s even better.
Or you also can extract the milk and then put it in freezer. The milk will split, but it won’t affect the taste, although it depends on whether what you are making is alright with split milk.
To add a little bit, you might think that the boiling water will cook the milk, but it won’t, as you only put a very little amount. If you’re still doubtful, then put very hot water, not boiling.

FWIW, Chaokoh was apparently using captive monkeys to harvest the coconuts–and not treating them well.