Chicken thighs

Me too, except for the liver. I like liver. I was fed it as a child, before I had any preconceived notions.

2 Likes

My ex SIL would not eat chicken in recognizable pieces no matter which part.
She liked chicken just fine but had a complete aversion to the bones and skin and other assorted ā€œstuffā€. In other words, the flavor.
Turkey too.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe snake or turtle which Iā€™ve never tasted. I find rabbit terribly bland - even the locally shot ones that turn up regularly at the farmers market. Iā€™d never confuse it with chicken. And, on the other hand, eel is quite strongly flavoured (at least in the ways Iā€™ve eaten it) and, of course, very oily. Again not something Iā€™d confuse with chicken.

1 Like

Iā€™ve eaten rabbit just once, and literally thought it was chicken, until I got to some bones and thought what an oddly-constructed chicken this was.

Iā€™ve never had any but the eel, which was part of a sushi dinner. But people often say about exotic meats - tastes like chicken. I suppose it is a joking way to make people comfortable with a new food. Me, Iā€™d rather just know what Iā€™m eating. Iā€™ve found that my culinary comfort has certainly increased as I age, but itā€™s mostly to do with broadening types of ethnic cuisines. And Iā€™m pretty comfortable with any type of produce or grain. Something about meat though - there are types/animals that, unless I was introduced as a kid, Iā€™m just not going to do it now. Psychological barrier.

1 Like

heehee. we have three children. all have the coop flown.
Iā€™m often surprised when they call up with questions - ā€œheh Dad, how did you fix ā€¦ā€

they hated it then, they miss it now.

3 Likes

I like liver also. Not often, but once in a while.

I actually hardly ever eat it. Occasionally a chicken liver or goose liver pate at a restaurant. Or Trader Joes has a good and cheap pate. Itā€™s been forever that I had beef liver. I donā€™t know why, but I donā€™t cook itā€¦

I havenā€™t had beef liver since COVID hit. My wife doesnā€™t travel anymore and I only cook it when sheā€™s gone. Also on the list: corned beef hash and deviled ham.

I love corned beef hash. I have a big roast in the freezer and am thinking about corning it. When my husband is away, we eat cheesy things. He doesnā€™t like cheese in many preparations, and especially warm/melted. He pizzas, and thatā€™s about it.

My wife and I both tolerate each others tastes. She is more sensitive to smell than I am so Iā€™ll cook things for her I donā€™t want to eat. Liver and corned beef hash she doesnā€™t even want to smell in the house.

Once we and her sisterā€™s family are vaccinated Iā€™ll send her off to visit for a day and cook a bunch of ā€œsmellyā€ things I like. Not a big deal. On balance sheā€™s worth it. grin

4 Likes

Cheers to that. We are celebrating 25 yrs together this year. On balance, itā€™s been worth it.

4 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

Two things I have had good success with when making thighs for those who prefer breasts: shredded chicken chili verde for tacos where I oven braise them in green (tomatillo) salsa until falling apart tender and then shred, and simmered in enchilada sauce and shredded into enchiladas. In both cases you can prep ahead and defat, either bone in or boneless work equally well, and the vehicle was so attractive to my audience they didnā€™t really notice the meat.

5 Likes

I find thighs to be versatile, tasty, and better than breasts for some things. I typically pull the skin off, as well as the excess fat - sometimes I even cut the side fat off, depending. Only if Iā€™m roasting at a higher heat for crispy skin, or grilling, will I leave the skin on. I find strips or cubes of thigh meat excellent for stir fries, or fried rice, and all the teriyaki joints around here use thigh meat.

2 Likes

OMG - I laughed out loud at this, and thought you were serious! H has one for his geology (10x), but jewelers loops are 20xā€¦yes, you could detect lots of detail in your food with thoseā€¦@shrinkrap!

1 Like

Tee hee! I actually have a few for the garden.

1 Like

You can find those pesky bugs that are eating your precious babies!

1 Like

Our d-i-l has fed their children brilliantly: high veg and fruit, lean meat, fish and chicken. Chicken has always been in small pieces of breast meat. A grand-kid, watching me put a chicken in the oven to roast, asked what it was. ā€œChickenā€, I told her. ā€œBut itā€™s so BIG!!!ā€

5 Likes

People really should understand the food chain. Not picking on your grandchild or your DIL, your story reminds me of a letter to the editor in a local paper. There was great angst over culling hunts for deer in my county. Note that there is no shortage of deer and in fact the population is so high that most of the herds are not healthy. In the letter to the editor, the author opined that ā€œpeople should buy their meat at the supermarket so no animals would be hurt.ā€ sigh

On the other hand, we do seem to be on the verge of lab grown proteins being economically viable. Stories from Robert Heinlein and Douglas Adams come to mind.

2 Likes