Offal and friends

Interesting, might have to go find some - never tried, but kinda looks kokorec (sp?)

1 Like

What?? MY mother overcooking something?? :rofl:
(My mother, the queen of overcooked meat, along with a lot of other people’s mothers I’m sure) I love her, and she made really good bread which is IMO a greater and more subtle skill than turning off the oven, but… yeah, anyway. :slight_smile:

Offal? :no_good_man:t3:

Organ meats. Livers, kidneys, tripe/chitterlings, sweetbreads, etc.

I’m going to leave a quick comment so I remember to come back.

I love some things that my dad made us eat without explanation before we could go EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!

I probably wouldn’t have been as open to them - other things - if he hadn’t exposed us early.

Liver - yes, chicken definitely, others meh. Udder - yes PLEASE. Testicles - ok. Kidney - rather not. Brain -yes please. Trotters - oh yes.

1 Like

I do too….in the trash next to the kale. :angry:

2 Likes

Exactly! :upside_down_face: (But I do enjoy pate once in awhile.)

1 Like

I think that many people who don’t like liver are more put off by the fact that it’s organ meat rather than the taste or texture. I have a niece who always said she hated liver. She would never even try it. One year we hosted thanksgiving dinner. I make a canapé that I call not pb&j. I take good quality white sandwich bread and I smear one side with a lovely chicken liver mousse. Then I spread a tart lingonberry jam on the other side. I press them together and cut the crusts off and then cut the sandwiches into quarters and pile them on a plate. They look like little pb&j sandwiches with the brown from the liver mousse and red from the tart jam. My son loves them. So I made these for apps. My wife’s sisters family arrives and started snacking on the plates of finger food. My niece who was probably 12 at the time is scarfing the sandwiches down like she hasn’t eaten in a week. My son being bratty shouts out to his cousin that’s liver as he knows she has always said she hates liver when she is in mid bite. She stops, puts the half eaten piece on her plate and stops. She hesitates for a while but eventually picks it back up and continues eating. So now she loves chicken liver but stops at beef. Will have to try and sneak that into something else. Lol

6 Likes

good for your niece!

when my father found out that the spice cake he’d eaten for years was really pumpkin bread, he never had another bite.

3 Likes

My gut disagrees especially when it comes to beef liver. I’m not fond of beef heart or tongue, but eat chitlins, pork rinds & hocks, chicken feet, and the lower jaw and tongue of duck. :yum:

3 Likes

Some people also grew up with an awful rendition (badly done liver & onions, for eg) and then hate it forever.

A lot of people will eat liver as pate but not liver as liver - there’s that visual difference.

My own view is that many things that I eat that I may never have otherwise were fed to me when I was too young to ask before: “here taste this” and into my mouth it went (thanks Dad… both sarcastically and really), and I really enjoyed what the thing was.

I think there’s an offal thread somewhere - here it is.

As an aside, thanks for the sandwich idea - I usually eat both liver and pate with toast, will have to try.

2 Likes

See, that’s a disservice to himself.

When I find things I don’t like (or claim not to) are embedded in things I like very much (my mom was artful at this when I was a kid), I continue to eat the things I like, and continue to profess that I don’t like the thing I said I don’t like - by itself or in other forms. Win win, lol.

1 Like

before our kids were old enough to wonder… I’d do liver&onions.
and they scarfed it down.
it’s best done at home - other than mega-buck/nose places it’s rarely properly prepared.

as they got older they declined. until about 30’ish.
last week my son called to ask “heh dad, how do I know if this liver at the store is fresh?”

the conversation goes mostly like:
“I hate liver!”
“Oh? how was it fixed?”
“Don’t know, never had it.”

2 Likes

I wish I could say that. When the heart, liver, and tongue showed up on the table it signaled it was time to take another calf to the locker.

Mom (rip) used to boil then fry tongue…then reassemble it on a plate. Good lord. Tongue just didn’t have much flavor so I covered what it did have with horseradish. There was nothing that’d help heart and liver. :disappointed:

2 Likes

No brains?
That’s a blessing.
My grandfather used to love brain sandwiches.
:frowning:

1 Like

Naw, I like liver and I like kale :slight_smile:
I’m having a harder time with swiss chard, which I decided to grow in the garden first time this year. I don’t like it raw and I’m meh on it cooked. But I have a lot of it. I always know what to do with kale.

1 Like

No brains to eat or use. According to my parents my head is only used to hold my ears apart.

2 Likes

Yes, I suppose there is that element to liver for me, at least nominally. I did have to eat it as a kid occasionally. Beef liver, but thankfully mom cooked a lot of onions with it. But I never liked it, in fact it was an ordeal to get it down. YET, occasionally I crave that liver taste - so am I craving a metallic taste of copper or iron, or the delectable smack of arsenic? Maybe the boys wants the specific vitamins contained within, dunno?

I like chicken liver and country type pates every now and then. I’ve tried making my own classic type of chicken liver pate, twice now, and wound up feeding it to the dogs I had at the time. Albeit in small amounts, and mixed in with their regular kibble. They loved it. I used different recipes, with luxe ingredients, so can’t understand why I don’t like and can’t eat it. So, we just buy small bits when a hankering arises. Overall, I’m generally not fond of any kind of offal.

I’d love to know too!

****damn spell check! So my post above makes sense, the word should have been my BODY wanting the nutrients, not the boys!