Chicken thighs

Much of the venison in UK supermarkets/restaurants comes from farmed animals. They are, however, still culled by shooting. From what I have read, it appears to be a very humane way of culling. Assuming an accurate shooter, it’s very quickly over. And, perhaps, interestingly, it does not appear to bother the rest of the herd who continue to graze seemingly unaffected by the loud noise and the fact that Cousin Bambi is now lying down and not breathing.

1 Like

I mostly cook thighs , drumsticks or legs.
Making this tonight, with skin -on, bone- in thighs.

6 Likes

I cook thighs almost exclusively - boneless/skinless work perfectly in any recipe that calls for breast. I love the skin as well, but I agree with @Auspicious that they can sometimes feel a bit fatty/greasy if cooked whole. I frequently buy them bone-in/skin-on, then remove the bones and trim/scrape away any larger bits of subcutaneous and intramuscular fat. They can then be rolled and cooked as you would a bone-in thigh, or left flat and grilled/sauteed. I prefer to cook them in a skillet rather than a grill because you can get the skin much more rendered and crisp that way. I start them skin side down in a cold pan and let them cook 90% of the way through on the skin side, then just a quick flip to brown any raw bits on the meat side. Crispy skin every time! In fact, that’s WFD tonight.

7 Likes

I used to like liver–my mother served both beef and chicken liver. But my tastes have changed and now beef liver is disgusting, while I haven’t had chopped chicken liver in years.

1 Like

Agree, this is how I usually cook bone in skin on chicken thighs. I don’t follow the up and down temperature in that recipe though, I just preheat oven to 420 or so and leave them in. It renders all the fat and gives you crispy skin, and because of all the fat in thighs it’s virtually impossible to overcook them.

I like boneless skinless too because they take a marinade well, 1-2 days in a ziplock bag with whatever marinade you make, then grill or broil, cooks quickly and never dry because of all the fat.

2 Likes

Oh I make thighs… lots of thighs.

We’re bone-in/skin-on peeps. My prep is season & put thighs in oven on high-heat to brown skin & render fat, then pour off some fat, add sauce, lower heat & bake covered for about 30 mins, basting occasionally, then uncovered for about 5 mins.

Here’s the latest…

Afro-Mexican Chicken Mole. I have no idea if there’s such a thing, but…

Baked Chicken Thighs & Cubed Sweet potato as described above. No extra oil as the chicken fat coats the Sweet Potatoes. I made a sauce of leftover paste from the Ukwaju (Tamarind) Marinated Spicy Chicken Thighs (linked above), Peanut butter, Tomato Paste & Greens (a la peanut stew), Store-bought Black Mole + Stock, Drippings. Garnished w/Unsalted Spanish Peanuts & served w/Rice. The ingredients & spices in the paste mirrored some in Peanut Stew and a few in the Mole. So why not? Crazy and crazy good.

Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs

A much simpler dish but yummy. I season then bake the Thighs to brown & render as noted above, then pour on a sauce of Lemons (from my :lemon: tree (preserved would be great too)), Smashed Roasted Garlic, Stock, Drippings & Black Pepper, top the thighs with Lemon Slices and bake covered about 30 mins then uncovered last 5 minutes. Note: I pop the Garlic Cloves unpeeled in the pan & bake with thighs then remove, peel, smash and add to sauce.

I’m a skin lover but you can do any of these recipes by removing skin & bone before or after.

Happy :poultry_leg: Eating!

10 Likes

I guess if there wasn’t before, there is now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m making this next @Phoenikia!

1 Like

@TheCookie, I cut down on the amount of fish sauce and soy sauce (half as much works for us), and bake it at 375 (less splatter in the oven), until it’s done. Someone I live with can’t handle any pink in his chicken, so I use a digital thermometer, and bake the thighs until they reach 185.

I have used lemon juice instead of lime juice, since I always have lemons on hand.

Hope you like the recipe!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

Funny, in that where we live thighs were not available for many months but there were plenty of boneless skinless breasts. I have always thought that boneless skinless chicken breast is America’s answer to tofu. I can’t say having eaten BSCB for many months I still can’t say I love them but I like them better than pre-covid.
For thighs try a recipe for Cuban-Chinese Arroz con Pollo

5 Likes

Or the Peruvian dish of Arroz Chaufa which is, in effect, chicken fried rice. But it’s an entirely Peruvian dish, albeit one developed from Chinese immigration to the country.

6 Likes

My cat loved raw liver but I couldn’t deal with Mom’s liver and onions. That smell.

I also hate chicken thighs and as a child I had the best of the best. Freshly killed free range chicken that my Aunt cooked from her and my Uncle’s farm in SE Texas. The thighs looked liked breast to me and I was fooled several times. :chicken:

1 Like

Weirdly I only like bone-in/skin-on baked thighs. I don’t even like fried thighs that much & especially dislike boneless/skinless - too chewy (to me) & sometimes have connective tissue & bone bits. I like knowing where the bone is. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t find thighs greasy but you can tame the fat by pulling back or removing the skin and scraping most all of the fat from the skin then fold or place the skin back in place. Also cutting away any chunks of fat attached to the meat

As bonus you can render the fat in the oven from skins and make this

8 Likes

Looks fantastic. When I make it I also add (lots of) rosemary.

2 Likes

I saw a pit master do that on a BBQ competition show. They were seriously serious, lol.

Whaaa?!! :drooling_face:

it’s even possible in the microwave too!

1 Like
8 Likes

Love watching him cook

4 Likes