Cheeses & Hams for Cheeseboards

Inspired. Need to try this as I cook pasta more than soup.

1 Like

@Barca I keep TRYING to save parmesan rinds, but DH keeps snatching them out of the cheese drawer. Thinks they’re cheese lollipops. Good teeth, that guy.

5 Likes

my reggiano are aged 3 years.
I did not know one can eat the rind
is that true?

1 Like

The rind on real parmesan is simply dry cheese, not wax.

1 Like

that is good to know, so, I can actually eat the rind?
I usually throw it out after my pasta becomes al dente
Use a lot of it but I save all the rinds as my son loves pasta

1 Like

Naf,

You have requested a Minnestrone Recipe … Having some paternal Italian bloodlines, dating back over three generations, this recipe hails from Veneto …
Ingredients:
2 tblsps Italian Evoo
1 large potato peeled & diced
1/4 of a head of cabbage ( White, Green or Cavolo Black ) - shred into shreds !
2 médium sized Courgettes or Zucchine … dice ( can peel or not peel - this is up to you )
1 Large Carrot ( peel and dice )
1 large onion - peel and dice finely
1 fennel bulb - trimmed and sliced finely with fronds
vegetable or chicken stock broth
White beans of choice ( soaked over night - do not use tinned or jarred ) navy or northern or cannelli beans
Cook beans on low slow flame or heat until tender AFTER soaking overnight in wáter just covering the beans
Shell pasta or tiny tubes called ditalini - 1 ladle of these
1 cup fresh shelled sweet peas ( de-Shell or un-pod the peas ) or use French Green beans fresh

1. heat evoo in a large sauce pan over médium heat.
  2. add the potato, the cabbage, the zucchine, carrot, onion, fennel and sauté the veggies about 7 to 8 minutes until they begin to color.
  3. Now add your broth and reduce heat or flame, and slow simmer until veggies are crisp tender, approx 10 mins.
    4 ) add the beans ( strained ) and then the pasta, and stir occasionally for approx 10 minutes.
    And add your RIND OF REGGIANO PARMIGIANI … 18, 24 OR 36 MONTHS.
  4. Now add your salt cautiously, freshly ground black pepper and stir for approx 5 to 8 minutes on low low low flame or heat …
  5. let sit for a few minutes and then serve in earthenware bowls …

Serve with extra Reggiano and ciabatta bread warm from oven or similar rustic bread and a glass of wine of choice …

Always Delicious and relatively simple …

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your Veneto Minestrone recipe, husband’s father is origin there, I will cook for him 1 day when visiting!

2 Likes

@Naf,

My great, great, great paternal Grandmother was Italian.

My father was born in nothern Girona (Cadaqués) !

The recipe is very versatile so you can use whatever seasonal vegetables you wish.
And a home made stock broth ( either veg or chicken).

Do be cautious with salt factor as the Reggiano Rind creates a “salty” factor … So, use cautiously.

Have a wonderful weekend. Thank you for the " @ " tip !!!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for this!

1 Like

Several cheese that mister has brought home, from Laurent Dubois in Paris 15e.

Goat cheese with herbs, Corsican Brin d’Amour

Tomme de pyrenees

Basque Ossau Iraty - Tomme de marion, Estive d’aubis

Saint Nectaire fermier

Saint Marcelline with truffle

Charolais

8 Likes

French cheeses! Your photos make me want to catch the next flight to sample them all. Stunning selection.

2 Likes

Actually I’ve asked for sweets the night before, but mister N left work late, the pastries shops were closing but not the cheese shop. They were all very good, like especially the goat and the Basque one.

2 Likes

Yes! I love to eat the rinds after I have cooked them in a soup or sauce - they soften and become much easier to chew. Almost like a hybrid rind/molten texture.

1 Like

That looks amazing!

What do you do with the “leftover” cheese, assuming there might be some? What do you wrap them in for storage, and for how long? It seems every time I think I have an answer (besides inhaling it all) I eventually end up disappointed.

1 Like

thanks for info
I have lots of parmesan rinds
my son add parmesan to everything, not only pasta but eggs, chicken parmesan. We have a dedicated rectangular freezer container that holds a chunk of parmesan from Costco as well as his rotary zyliss cheese grinder and so, he would cut pile those cheese up as he eats!

2 Likes

Thanks.

For storage, I wrap the cheese with the wax paper and stored them in a tightly sealed box to avoid smell contamination, I take them out often to clean the water accumulation on the lid of the box. Normally, you should let the cheese breath, the conseil is to rewrap them with the wax paper, and the with dishcloth and store them in the bottom of the fridge. They can be kept for up to a week or 2 for hard cheese.

Leftover cheese (cheaper supermarket stuff) would end up in creamy cheese sauce for pasta. The parmesan or hard cheese rinds is good for fondue or soup.

2 Likes

Actually, do you know the The Laughing Cow cheese? They are made with the leftover cheese collected from different cheese farms.

2 Likes

What a surprised revelation! Thanks

1 Like

These look amazing !!

1 Like