ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

I love saltimbocca - is that chicken or veal? Looks delicious!

1 Like

Veal! Beat the filet like crazy and finished the cooking with a Sauvignon.

1 Like

A question not related to the topic. I thought le Petit Nice is more complex in their cooking. We are talking about Passedat’s restaurant?

1 Like

Do people eat minestrone in Italy, or is it another Italian American entree?

1 Like

In years past made several variations of filled pasta. My lobster or my shrimp filled ravioli, with a brown butter and lemon sauce.
Sort of lost some of the passion over the years, as there is only two of to cook for, but on that rare occasion, about 6 months ago, I did some gnocchi with a light pink sauce…

1 Like

My FIL, a real Italian from the north, near Venice, grew up eating minestrone.

Please note that @barca has Italian family, and here it’s her family recipe:

2 Likes

1 Like

Indeed a staple in Italy. And beyond, my s-i-l was a first born Italian American. Her parents, recreating the home country in California. maintained the customary minestrone as part of the evening meal. Mary’s job, coming home from school, was to start this soup.

1 Like

Today, I usually just pick up some fresh. But when the mood hits and time allows, homemade are hard to beat. I particularly like filling made from leftover braised meats.

I am spoiled by having the Genovese mother of my sister-in-law who made sublime ravioli with the traditional filling that included brains, spinach et al. Memories of my childhood…

2 Likes

Brains ravioli?
Amazing. I’ve never heard of that.
My grandfather loved brains sandwiches.
That’s one of the lines I draw.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Read here. And here. And here and more…

2 Likes

If I saw that on the menu . Yes siree . I have that please .

2 Likes

Yes …
Gerald Passédat …
Le Petit Nice, Marseille .

His dishes are quite natural and focus on fresh catches of the day and season of course.
Fresh herbs and fresh veggies …

Mediterranean … ( a bond here of Northern Costa Brava, Italia & Marseille )

These mussels were a true delight …

2 Likes

Minnestrone is very popular especially in Venezia.

2 Likes

Meridith Kurtzman (well known in NYC restaurant kitchen circles) wrote a lovely nostalgic article in the weekend Wall Street. (October 15-17, 2019) about NYC luncheonettes, and more specifically a green minestrone that looks wonderful.

2 Likes

PROVENÇAL MINNESTRONE …
Photo Copyright: Thuriès Gastronomie Magazine.

4 Likes

I believe I had typed the ingredients for our Minnestrone, somewhere on this fórum … However, here is our family Italian Minnestrone.
2 Tblsps. Italian Evoo
1 large potato peeled and sliced into cubes
2 cups shredded Italian Cavolo black cabbage ( can use cabbage or kale of choice )
1 large carrot peeled and diced finely
1 fennel bulb with fronds
A SMALL COURGETTE OR ZUCCHINE
A SMALL AUBERGINE OR EGGPLANT
fresh herbs: parsely, basil, thyme, Rosemary ( a tiny sprig of each + fennel fronds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 rind of Parmigiano Reggiano
1 onion or 1 leek and 1 shallot sliced finely
White Northern Beans (soaked over night – we do not use tinned or jarred beans) or White Navy Beans
(approx. 200 grams for 2 of us )
120 grams small shelled pasta or Ditallini = tiny tubes

4 Likes

BEYONDTASTEBECKla-pergola-heinz-beck-5

LA PERGOLA - ROMA, ITALIA and THE ITALIAN CUISINE WORLD SUMMIT 2018 DUBAI …
CHEF HEINZ BECK
THE WALDORF HOTEL

2 Likes

Rigatoni alla Bolognese, with sauce from the freezer made following this recipe in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot):

Pasta was boxed De Cecco.

11 Likes

1 Like