Ceviche, crudo, sashimi, tartare, tiradito, and aguachile

Been there, don’t recommend it :frowning_face:

1 Like

From what I saw, madai can be sea bream or Japanese red snapper. The texture was buttery and rich, and it had a more pronounced flavor than the fluke, which was very mild yesterday. It’s on the top left (above the fluke & next to the saba) in this picture.

Ooooo! :eyes:
Thank you!
#1is madai?
#5 is fluke?
#3 is saba? Is that mackerel?
#9 is salmon?
#4 hamachi?
#8 some kind of tuna? I’m still learning about tuna. This one looks dark.

@shrinkrap If you want to geek out on this a bit (“if” lol)

Yes, please!

Thanks!

#1 Madai, i.e. sea bream or Japanese red snapper - who knows :woman_shrugging:

I’m not a fish geek, and the classification and terminology can be confusing. Most important to me: Does it taste good? It did.

#2 escolar / white tuna
#3 saba (mackerel)
#4 hamachi (yellowtail)
#5 hirami (fluke)
#6, 7, 8, 9 is one roll, namely the rainbow roll: crab, cucumber, avocado inside, salmon, tuna, non-specified ‘white fish’ and avocado on top.

Here’s their online menu.

1 Like

They left out Tahitian Poisson Cru.

Poisson Cru

• 1.5 pounds raw, skinless Tombo/Albacore/Thon Rouge Tuna, cubed to about 1"
• Juice of 6-8 limes
• 12-14 oz.fresh or canned unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 cucumber, seeded, then halved and cut into 1/4" thick half moons
• Tomatoes (15 cherry tomatoes halved or 3-4 Romas seeded and chopped coarsely
• 1/2 of a sweet (Maui, Walla Walla) or red onion, sliced thinly
• 2 carrots, grated or sliced very thinly
• Green bell pepper, chopped
• Celery stalks per taste, sliced on the bias
• Parsley per taste, chopped
• Green onions, 1 bunch, chopped
• Black pepper to taste
• Salt (some with the fish and lime juice and more later after, mixed to taste
• Optional: red pepper flakes

In a large non-reactive bowl, stir together the tuna. lime juice, ¼ cup of the coconut milk, and some salt. Let the mix marinate for the 1/2 hour or so it takes to prep the rest of the ingredients. Turn the mix a few times to make sure all the fish gets “cooked” by the lime juice. Note: For a drier finished dish, drain off juice at this point.

Add all the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper. You can serve it right away, but I prefer for everything to macerate together for at least 15 minutes.
Keeps well for most tastes, refrigerated and covered, for about a day.

2 Likes

That sounds tasty and intriguing! How many lunch sized servings do you think that would make, and is there anything you would say I just can’t leave out? I don’t usually have fresh tomatoes in January; can I used semi or sun dried in oil? Can I use roasted peppers?

I see elsewhere that the veg is supposed to be crip.

Maybe 10 unless you’re hungry. To my testes, it keeps longer than one day–Tahitians put it up on their roofs to “ripen”.

The fresh acid from tomatoes is pretty important. Cherry or grape tomatoes are scarce for you? The green pepper really isn’t essential, although I’d skip the roasted. You want some snap, so maybe up the cukes or celery.

The atoll version of this uses just lime, tomato, loud onion, and coconut milk.

1 Like

:thinking:

JK Thanks!

Cherry or grape tomatoes are scarce for you?

No, I just don’t usually buy them or have them in the winter. I can though.

The little tomatoes also add color–It’s a little drab otherwise.

This has become a favorite dish of mine–as in, can’t stop eating it.

1 Like

Oh, and another thing: Don’t throw away your money on sashimi grade tuna. Any fresh will do as well.

3 Likes

This second one is a re-post from another thread, and old. I was about to delete it, but I won’t since it looks like it’s already been “viewed”.
ETA Glad I didn’t delete it! Thanks @Amandarama !

3 Likes

Of the underrated fish in the Thrillist article, I absolutely agree with kampachi over hamachi. Great texture and a rich, smooth flavor. Young hamachi belly though is a wonderful thing. Love it. Also, if you can get the halibut engawa, it is fantastic. Almost a crisp texture. I would add kinki (channel rockfish), which has a nice richness. If the chef torches the skin a little, it is even better. Kinmedai (golden eye snapper) is in this category for me as well, as is nodoguro (blackthroat seapearch - impossible for me to get on the East coast; I have to wait until I visit San Diego and even then it is rare).

It’s funny - when I first started eating sushi, I absolutely was all about otoro and chutoro, which I still like. But, now I find I really have gravitated toward oilier white fleshed fishes and silver skinned fishes (saba, aji, iwashi, etc.). I will still always leave room for uni and ankimo , though!

5 Likes

Ta dah!

I’m not sure I got the proportions right, but I loved the crunch, it was refreshing and I really enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Great! I’m elated you like it.

I’m used to it being a bit creamier. Like most things like this, a little time-maceration can be your friend.

That looks great - like a more interesting take on poke! I’ll have to make it next time I get good fish :slight_smile:

I don’t know that it’s more interesting, but it’s different because of the coconut milk+salt, as compared sesame oil+soy sauce, or olive oil + citrus, vinegar in crudo.

I still have some, and I will add a bit more coconut milk and lime juice.

Different, then. I had a lot of poke in November, and appreciate the change of pace.

1 Like

I see. I haven’t had much poke, so I guess it’s hard for me to compare. If you make it, I’d love to know what you think.

Classic poke is minimalist, and it’s not even chemically “cooked”: fish, kukui nut oil, onion, red salt, and–if you’re living large–some sesame seeds. It should have a thick, even cloying, mouthfeel.

If you’re tempted to find the kukui, go easy. It has surprisingly laxative properties.