CABBAGE! Your favorite recipes?

That was going to be my suggestion. We made corned beef (working through the freezer) braised with Savoy cabbage. I’ve been leaving the corned beef for Mr Rat since he is way more excited about the sandwiches than me. And we’ve, mostly I’ve, been using the leftover cabbage for colcannon. The best.

1 Like

I just sauteed some last night with onions. Served with pierogies. Marcella Hazan cabbage rice soup is surprisingly good.

7 Likes

Easy peasy. Cut cabbage in half. Cut out hard core. Then cut in wedges. Place in a saute pan with about 1" of water. Sprinkle salt & pepper, butter, and a grinding of fresh nutmeg on top. Cover and steam until nice and soft. This dish is delicious, simple, and goes with many other things. The nutmeg absolutely makes it.

8 Likes

That looks really good; can you tell us more about it? What kind of leavening do you use?

Sounds good!

I almost always have green cabbage in my fridge. I like red and savory but green is the most versatile for me.

Raw: I make a number of slaws. Ginger/oil based, a midwest creamy style, o/v marinade, several others depending upon the meal planned. Use for fermenting (mixed results).

Cooked: Steamed, stewed, braised, sauteed, stirfry. Add to soups, stews. A friend swears her grandmothers secret of using a single cabbage leaf over the top of her pot roast is what makes the dish! Stuffed cabbage too. You can shred it and add to meatloaf or meatballs.

About the only thing I don’t do with it is roast it. Never tried to for some reason.

3 Likes

Molly Stevens’ braised/roasted cabbage is good

Is it braised and then roasted?

Edit:

This?

Sounds great!

Yep!

1 Like

As with most indian recipes, no egg, but a combination of yogurt and baking soda, with some lemon juice or a citric acid powder sometimes added before baking.

Here’s an instant version - she makes it stovetop, but I usually bake it.

It’s a flexible recipe - as a kid I preferred it with no vegetables, but now I make it with zucchini or cabbage or whatever else is at hand.

So I guess I’m the only weirdo who didn’t instantly fall in love with this. First time trying it, and my least favorite way with cabbage to date (excluding sauerkraut).

Will try and salvage it with mushrooms and bechamel.

She has a red cabbage braised stove top in olive oil which I like very much. Can’t find the recipe online…

This is the one I made - says red or green cabbage.

Is the one you’re talking about a different one?

Years ago the English food writer Elizabeth David referred to a cabbage recipe in How to Cook and Eat in Chinese by Buwei Yang Chao. It’s a book I have, but until Elizabeth David wrote about it, I never noticed the recipe. Here’s the recipe.
2 lbs. American Cabbage
2 heaping tbsp lard or vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

Heat oil or lard in skillet until hot. Put the cabbage in and stir for 1 minute. Then add the salt and water. Keep on stirring for 3 minutes more.

I have made this a number of times, although I never took notice of the quantities. And I never used lard. On occasion I even used olive oil!!!

4 Likes

I’m partial to Rotkohl which is red cabbage German style and also to Pikliz which is also called Haitian Cole Slaw. Cabbage, Red & Green Peppers for color, onions & carrots & a LOT of Habaneros. Pickled in vinegar with Garlic, Allspice & Lime juice. Good on everything.

5 Likes

I’ll have to fish out my cookbook and check!

Oh no…! It should be a silky texture, and i guess it may be not flavorful enough for some. (I also hate sauerkraut which I don’t understand since i love cabbage and fermented/pickled things)
The bechamel and mushrooms sound like a tasty plan.

Commercial sauerkraut is kind of nasty. You really have to ferment your own to truly appreciate it.

1 Like

Well, damned if it is! I had not remembered the onion and garlic so thought I had cooked a different recipe. :woman_shrugging:

Brilliant idea. I am going to have to try this.