CABBAGE! Your favorite recipes?

I have prepared stuffed cabbage the Greek way and they serve it floating in a large bowl of Avoglemono.

Also an exquisite dish.

2 Likes

Oh delicious - I’m envious and will have to whip some up one day this winter. I’ve had large dolmades, made with romaine leaves on the Pelopennesian Peninsula that were very good. The wonderful cook used lettuce because all the local grape vines had been sprayed with DDT. I saw sacks of it in the village stores. This was back in the 90’s, so don’t know if they’re still using it.

1 Like

I believe it was outlawed by the E.U.

We are becoming much more ecological here than we were 20 years ago …

1 Like

Well that’s reassuring to hear @Barca, and was pretty sure that was probably the case now. Thanks for confirming, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Anyone have some Inspired Recipes for red cabbage?

I don’t have any specific to red cabbage but I wanted to be able to find this one for cabbage pad thai. It might look strange but I don’t see why you couldn’t use red cabbage.

4 Likes

I make this regularly after someone posted it here a few years ago. We like it better than using the noodles.

3 Likes

We really enjoy this concoction when we have a craving for spiced cabbage.

6 Likes

That looks really interesting @Rooster. But with hoisin + oyster sauce + sugar + caramelized cabbage it seems like it would be very sweet. Is it? Do you tweak it at all or do you like it as written?

2 Likes

Yes, we have tweaked the sugar level to our taste preference and upped the rice vinegar.

3 Likes

For Asia food, most of the time, I reduce the sugar in the recipes as I don’t like sweet savoury as a whole.

3 Likes

Snatched from another food blog, Cabbage Noodles. Possibly healthful, but definitely delicious, Cabbage ribbons braised in butter augmented by cooked similarly sized egg noodles. Add a, er, rather large lump of butter. Forget the rest of dinner.

7 Likes

Add caraway seeds and I’m there!

3 Likes

Can do.

1 Like

Tradotionally MADE wth bowties & a bunch OF pepper, known as Hluski. I always make it with the leftover cabbage when I make stuffed cabbage.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I love haluski with kielbasa :heart:

3 Likes

I love love love cabbage. To me, it’s a miracle ingredient: cheap, nutrition powerhouse, versatile, AND tasty. I could never get tired of cabbage, as there are more recipes than days in the year.

Saregama, you have got many good ideas already, here are just two that are in regular rotation in my house. Both involve finely shredded cabbage, which, if you have a mandolin, is not at all difficult to achieve.

(1) Cabbage poriyal: a standard South Indian stir fry type side dish. There are multiple variations on the recipe, but here are two, one more simple and one more complex:
Simple:

(I would add a pinch of hing to the tarka for this one. I use a whole sprig of curry leaves, stripped off the stem, and pinched in half to release more aroma).
More complex:

(I would add a little fresh grated ginger to this one along with the green chillies).

(2) Vietnamese-ish shredded cabbage and tofu salad. This is more suitable for summer. I never bother to seed the jalapeno, I just use the whole thing. Also, using pre-seasoned tofu, e.g. TJ Sriracha tofu, makes the recipe much easier by eliminating a whole tofu seasoning and frying step.

If you are stuck outside the paywall please let me know and I will get you some more information.

Here is a NY Times article with 3 cabbage suggestions: pasta, the Vietnamese salad suggested above, and soup.

Enjoy! And do say which recipes in this thread you have tried and how they worked for you?

9 Likes

Also snatched from another food forum, Cabbage braised with wonton. Looked spectacular!

1 Like

Thanks for this shortcut. Cabbage easily gets boring for me so it will be good to have an easy, flavorful preparation to try.

3 Likes