CABBAGE! Your favorite recipes?

I had "noodles & cheese for lunch last week.
My family comes from what to day is the western part of the Ukraine.

1 Like

I agree with the strong memories of the 1950’s as well, especially on a Friday night visiting my grandmother and all of the wonderful smells in the hallways of the building she lived in.
When I opened the door to her apartment, I would run into the kitchen, and she would ask me if I wanted a taste of something, before diner was served, especially some just made, room temperature chopped liver on a small piece off fresh bread,

4 Likes

I like cabbage but it usually ends up as slaw

3 Likes

In addition to being delicious, cabbage Is also nature’s health food.

3 Likes

@naf, that pithiviers looks delicious. Where did you have it?
By the way, I’m also planning to take up your suggestion of La Rallonge.

Maison in the 11e, a full report is here. You must go!! (Haa for once, I wasn’t so late for posting!)

2 Likes

I love cabbage in so many ways! A favorite is to boil a ham bone, add extra chopped ham, stock, veggies - carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, spices, barley and lots of chopped cabbage at the end. Spices are bay, garlic, paprika (sweet as well as smoked) and a few others. Really delicious and healthy. Love it in fried rice, twice cooked pork, with corned beef and on and on. Slaw too and sauerkraut.

3 Likes

I read about Maison and put it on our list. Now we’ll have to go!

1 Like

Wow.

Impressed.

You answered my question before I asked it. Which was going to be:

what do I do with the rest of the cabbage that was left after I used the outer leaves for stuffing? Make those dumplins.

Pierogi with cabbage filling.

1 Like

Making grautrunzins used to be a regular thing with us - we love them & it’s great to have some in the freezer. They’re good with a brown gravy over them. The recipe came from H’s auntie who was of German descent (and married a Greek).

DH is in the dog house and may never get out, so will from here on refer to him as H only :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::scream_cat:

2 Likes

Once my grandmother made a traditional polish dish - dumplings with cabbage and potatoes, I know how it sounds but it was really delicious!

1 Like

Stuffed mini cabbage florettes with home made from scratch beef conosommé and cauliflower floretes.

4 Likes

Our favorite traditional Romanian dish was Stuffed Cabbage served with Polenta in Brasov closed to the Braun Castle …

6 Likes

Exquisite presentation!
Have a lovely weekend @Barca

1 Like

Thank you Paryzer …

Lovely light format of a classic renovated.

Wonderful weekend wishes.

1 Like

What are they stuffed with? Very pretty.

2 Likes

Similar to the Greek Lahanodolmades, the Northern Romanians stuff their cabbage with:

Ground pork or ground Lamb or a combo
Onion
Long grain rice
finely chopped garlic
fresh parsley
fresh dill
ground cumin
salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh mint herb
Evoo from Greece Works best
finely diced or chopped onion or leek or shallot