BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

In a British food mag:

“Lobscouse” sounds suspiciously like Labskaus in the Baltic sea region, a dish I’m familiar with, however, it’s not a stew. Only in Norway there’s such a thing as labskaus stew. If I order labskaus in Norway I would get a surprise.

There’s probably very little British food that is actually native to this island. Travellers and traders brought this, invaders brought that, settlers brought something else. It’s a bit of a surprise that we ever managed to survive before that. :grinning:

3 Likes

Labskaus is also common in Bremen and Hanover. Definitely is a cousin of UK scouse.

So- maybe what they have in common, are the ingredients, and the fact they are cooked in a pot.

Appears scouse is more stew, and labskaus is more mash/stamppot.

Although scouse comes from only thirty miles away, it’s very specific to the Liverpool area and I’ve only seen it there. Bit like the better known Irish Stew.

By the by, North Wales has its own version, lapsgóws. I think it’s based on a mix of the traditional Welsh dish of cawl and the Liverpool scouse which is obviously not far away

1 Like

@Harters good to know.

I’ll put this here for reference

Liverpool is a city I haven’t visited yet.

I also plan to visit North Wales at some point. North Wales has been on my wishlist for close to a decade. I had 4 nights in South Wales a while back. While planning that visit, I decided North Wales deserved several days to visit, to see more of its beauty.

At this point, we need our resident Scouser, Willowan, to chip in. There’s a couple of very decent “proper” pubs in that list - even for a “foreigner” like me.

FWIW, my experience of the dish was at the Bluecote Bistro, which is part of the Bluecoat Gallery. And I’ve also had “Catalan Scouse” at Spanish tapas place, Lunya - that was morcilla, chorizo and potatoes - and it was lovely.

North Wales? Lovely scenery. Good food is not in abundance - and seems to have got worse in the last few years. Several places that I would have previously recommended have either closed or have dumbed down their menu.

1 Like

@Harters maybe it’s all the crappy chain food in Canada- I’m almost always happy with the food I find at mom & pop restaurants or bakeries in small towns and rural parts of the UK. Some food further afield - in the sticks is what a Cdn might say- might seem boring, outdated or not worth a special visit, relative to places locals would have on a wishlist.

When I visited Devon and Cornwall, lot of places where we ate had no online presence. Good experiences overall.

I’m a bit of a geek when it comes to finding regional baked goods (saffron buns come to mind in Cornwall) and regional foods, in places off the beaten path.

In South Wales, I was sampling a lot of Welsh cakes! Some are much better than others :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I try and make allowances for the fact that North Wales is “small town”, so the quality and variety that you’d find from competition in a city can’t be expected.

That said, we’ve often eaten over the years at this gastropub. Always reliable. You’ll see the menu makes something of a committment to local produce.
https://queensheadglanwydden.co.uk/daily-menu-sample/

Speaking of local produce, it looks like a small fishing boat, with a crew of three, from nearby Conwy, has been lost at sea. It’s been missing since Wednesday and, as yet, no sign of it (or any wreckage). It’s a hazardous industry. By the by, the hotel we stayed in for a couple of nights last summer looked out over the river to where this boat would be moored.

3 Likes

I’m sad to hear the fishing boat has been lost at sea. Yes, dangerous job, for sure.

I’ll keep the pub in mind.

By the way, did you know Charles Yu spent part of his youth in Wales?

I didnt know that about Charles. No doubt a mis-spent youth.

1 Like

Yes, I know - 4Q2020 is over. Bad form.

I made chicken tikka masala for dinner last night. My best attempt yet. Leftovers warmed up nicely for breakfast. grin

1 Like

By the by, there’s been no trace of the fishing boat. No wreckage, no bodies, no nothing

So sad @Harters; the fishing industry is treacherous. May the lost RIP.

I am making Coronation Chicken tonight. Hope y’all don’t mind that I keep these Cuisines of the Quarter alive as I make various regional dishes.

4 Likes

Highly appropriate that the thread has been revived today.

Mary Berry has been mentioned a couple of times upthread. The 86 year old has today been honoured by the Queen as a Dame Commander. Dame Mary, as she will now be officially known, has been recognised fro her charity work as well as her very long culinary career.

Whatever one might think of my country’s archaic (and some would argue, racist) honours system, if you are going to have it, then folk like her deserve it.

5 Likes

Absolutely a lovely salad.

I have to substitute a couple of ingredients, as we do not eat feathered species, I use prawns instead and I also use Spanish Arborio instead as we do not care for the excessively aromatic Basmati and no curry or chutney (cannot tolerate) however, the only other sub is lesser quantity … Too much for 2 people … And I use Ligeresa, a light Mayonnaise and less quantity and same on the Yogurt.

1 Like

Also had a discussion about making Cumberland sauce soon, so posting this

2 Likes

Cumberland sauce is traditionally eaten cold but I like it as a hot sauce for duck or gammon. But anything with a Barnsley chop will be a thing of joy.

For years, I assumed that it was named after the traditional name for the county in my region of northwest England but, apparently, it was actually named after William, Duke of Cumberland, youngest son of King George II.

2 Likes

She’s a delightful personality. Shouldn’t have taken so long become a Dame. Glad it finally happened, though.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that!
Cumberland sauce also goes nicely with Camembert fritters. That’s the way I first had it, at a nice restaurant here in Ontario in the 80s. It was my favourite dish.