BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

god tier that i believe?

1 Like

I like kippers a lot.

I lifted it from a funny Twitter account. Plenty of witty replies, if you enjoy Twitter.

1 Like
2 Likes

When I make pasties (as I did last week), I crimp along the top, rather than side. I think that makes it a Devon pasty (or just “wrong”). A Cornish one has to be side crimped, according to its PGI status (although, to be honest, I don’t know if we still have PGI and other protected designations, since we left the European Union).

3 Likes

That surprised me as well. Had a Scotch egg for the first time, last year, and loved it. Beef Wellington is magic when done right. Bubble and squeak as an amazing use of leftovers for me. Rarebit is a top tier for me. Made it since forever. Beer and cheese, howdoyalose?

1 Like

https://www.royal.uk/coronation-quiche-0

2 Likes

I just baked a coronation quiche this afternoon, using BBC Good Food’s recipe.

Turned out okay - it actually tasted better than I’d envisaged it would. But, all in all, it’s a vegetarian quiche, and I miss my bacon. :joy:

8 Likes

They look good.

I am planning to make a small one following the recipe, with cheddar, fava beans and tarragon, then a blinged up version without tarragon , substituting fresh basil and some other greens, to see how they compare.

2 Likes

Amusing that you left the crust in the dish.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: That wasn’t the crust - it’s the coaster underneath the clear glass dish.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I like the use of mincemeat in that pudding . It might be a good Christmas one for folk who don’t like the richness of a normal Christmas pudding.

By the by, the author of the article mentions she uses Delia Smith’s recipe for mincemeat (which I have made once or twice). I have it mind she also includes mincemeat in a light pudding in her Christmas book.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of Dolbury Pudding before.

1 Like

I think the link to boeuf en croute is probably significant. A established French dish renamed to honour Wellington after his defeat of the French Army. Many French chefs had made their way to Britain during the French Revolution, after their aristocratic employers were executed during the Terror. So there were ready made experts here. It’s the beginning of the period when French cuisine was held supreme in the UK, at least amongst the middle and upper classes, lasting at least till WW2 and, probably, into the late 1950s. It was only after the effects of post WW2 austerity and food rationing started to wane that we recaptured control of our own cuisine. That said, Beef Wellington is a lovely thing to eat when it’s done properly.

I’ve never cooked one - I simply don’t have the skill to risk a failure with such an expensive piece of meat. Now, the Guardian article asks what else do you cook enclosed by pastry. Look no further than a Cornish pasty or a cheese and onion pie.

5 Likes

We are making one tonight. I remember we had one for NYE 2004, and I don’t think we have made it since then.

We use puff pastry. I printed out 2 other recipes, including American Chef Tyler Florence’a recipe. Serious Eats has a complicated recipe, too.

It is a fairly common special occasion dish in North America, so you will see American and Canadian chefs making their versions.

Tonight’s dinner is as British as it gets.

Smoked salmon to start. Soda bread.

Roast beef sirloin, roast parsnips, roast spuds, steamed cabbage, Yorkshire pudding, Yorkshire salad, gravy.

Cheese - Wensleydale & Shropshire Red, crackers, chutney (homemade),celery

Nigel Slater’s orange jelly for dessert.

Happy New Year.

8 Likes

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Fabulous. Happy New Year.

2 Likes