Breakfast sandwiches, egg on a roll, etc.

Fresh Portuguese rolls are really delicious. They’re not sweet like the sweet bread or muffins. That is handsome linguicia - it caramelizes really well. Linguicia is sold here in casings, like kielbasa, ground loose, and also sold sliced in bun-sized larger casings. We love it on pizza, we make stuffed quahogs and kale soup with it.

3 Likes

I’ll have to buy some from the Portuguese butcher shop. I’ve only had linguica at restaurants . I love caldo verde.

2 Likes

I’m never as satisfied with the breakfast sandwiches I make at home vs the ones I buy out at delis. It’s a mystery to me. I’ve recently discovered Wendy’s bacon egg and cheese on a biscuit, quite tasty for a fast food offering.

1 Like

Be like a deli: Use more butter, and more salt, than anyone would at home.

9 Likes

I’m in California, so my breakfast sandwiches are generally burritos, unless I’m getting an egg and cheese biscuit at McD’s. Most places make better hash browns than I do, and at a scale where it’s a lot less trouble than making them myself, and keep a fryer full of oil handy for fried stuff, and those improve most breakfast sandwiches; otherwise it’s just as easy to make at home (at least if I have the right size flour tortilla.)
The exception is avocado toast on sourdough, though sometimes I’ll put avocado on an egg burrito.

3 Likes

It’s funny you should say that because I always tell my friends that the secret to a good egg sandwich at a deli is to ask for butter, salt and pepper. There’s a famous breakfast sandwich place in Fairfield, CT, The Country Cow https://countrycowdeli.com/ that frequently has long line of aficionados. I made a pilgrimage o try it and that was what made their sandwiches great but I still can’t replicate them at home. Maybe it’s psychological.

2 Likes

Very possible. Or something you wouldn’t even think to try to replicate, like the way the roll gets slightly soggy from the wrapper.

4 Likes

Funny. I had a doctor’s appointment some months after the pandemic shutdown. He remarked on my weight loss–wondering if it was intentional or a sign of a problem. Turns out it was a result of not dining out (OK, ordering delivery) nearly as much and always cooking my own breakfast. I guess I don’t use as much butter and salt as my go-to places and I also only use a strip or two of bacon when I use it at all.

5 Likes

Breakfast sandwich in Toronto today, White Lily Diner, bacon, egg , tomato and cheese .

9 Likes

Are pickles standard issue on egg sandwiches in the great white north?
Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Your food looks so good! It would be great to have a caption that explains what we’re admiring. :smiley:

3 Likes

Not typical at all. Highly unusual lol. That diner adds a housemade pickle to most sandwiches, it seems, but it wasn’t mentioned on the menu. Bonus pickle.

1 Like

Looks like you get pickles with meatloaf too.
I like this place :slightly_smiling_face:

I always had this idea of a fried pickle line, sort of like the Maginot Line, or maybe the Mason Dixon line.
I am an unabashed pickle fan.

2 Likes

Sure, sorry about that.

Fried egg, scrambled eggs (hidden), guacamole (nearly hidden), a dab of Lao Gan Ma sauce (hidden) all in a lightly toasted Brioche (with bacon fat :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Local place offers a breakfast sandwich. Pick any two items from - bacon, mushroom, tomato, baked beans, hash brown, sausage, fried eggs or black pudding. Served in a barmcake (which is what we call a bread roll in these parts)

2 Likes

I made a breakfast sandwich this morning with two fried eggs, Chinese pork floss, and a slab of fried scrapple.

Just so fcuking good.

Sorry, wish I had my wits about me to take a picture, but I was too darn hungry.

4 Likes

I adore a good breakfast sandwich. Too many places make them not good. Particularly, as I found, small towns on the coast with no tourist infrastructure, who take frozen stuff, stick it all together, and nuke it. Now here is one of my fave “breakfast sandwiches” when done right - a ham & cheese croissant. And we just happen to have a bakery that really knows how to do a croissant a mile from home. It’s a problem. Remedied only by the fact that they are about $5 per right now, and if I’m buying at all, I’m buying 3-4 to feed the fam too.

2 Likes

ooooh! I had no idea croissants could be so pricey! But the breakfast sandwich on a croissant is a great idea. I have had good success with a Starbucks croissant. I bring it home and reheat it in the toaster oven to warm it and crisp it up. I have all the fixin’s for a breakfast sandwich in the fridge. This might be in my near future!

1 Like

Me neither. That is really, really expensive to my mind. I can get them for £1.75 ($2.40) for four.