Breakfast sandwiches, egg on a roll, etc.

I’ve been making and ordering breakfast sandwiches a lot lately. Thought I’d start posting photos of the ones I make , seek out or order.

I filed this under Cooking since I have been cooking 95% of my breakfasts the last 8 months.

Please add your favourites, too.

Yesterday’s peameal bacon, egg and cheese on rye at a greasy spoon called Our Spot in Toronto.

10 Likes

Not to “yuck your yum” but I can’t stand rye bread. Not sure what happened to me as a child but I am deeply scared by rye bread and still detest it to this day. Otherwise nice sandwich! lol

2 Likes

Bacon, egg and cheese on toast or better yet, a toasted plain or sesame bagel. Egg and cheese on a fresh croissant (somehow crispy bacon doesn’t work on a fluffy croissant for me). Pepper and egg on a kaiser or Italian roll. And one I know most can’t get behind . . . scrapple with ketchup on untoasted bread (what can I say–I’m a Philly girl).

3 Likes

Lol. I totally understand. While I’ve always liked plain rye bread, I hated caraway/kümmel/kimmel, so rye bread often came with an unpleasant- to- me surprise.

This was the first time I’ve ordered a breakfast sandwich on rye. Usually it’s on white, on a biscuit or on a roll if i order one out, and wholegrain or challah at home.

2 Likes

I didn’t find out about pepper and egg sandwiches until August!
I will seek one out next time I’m in NY or NJ.

3 Likes

Reading that made me gag.

I’m a HUGE breakfast biscuit guy, who surprisingly this weekend tried Wendy’s breakfast for the first time this weekend. Believe it or not their sausage, egg and cheese on a biscuit was quite good!! On par with Mc Donald’s whose breakfast biscuit sandwiches are very good if you ask me!

4 Likes

Or SE Pennsylvania?

1 Like

Funnily the opposite here - never encountered it as a child but I love that kind of rye toast, buttered, as an adult.

That with a side of scrambled eggs and an occasional bacon splurge was breakfast from my work cafeteria for a long time.

4 Likes

I love rye in all forms. Russian dark rye my favorite. My fav breakfast sandwich has been hard to seek out so when aI have the makings I go:

Buttered dark rye toast, fried egg, hash brown patty, smoked bacon, thick slice of tomato, swiss cheese, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, sliced thin dill pickle.

Second to that is a scrambled egg, roasted yukon potato, roasted Red peppers and mozzarella cheese breakfast sub assembled, wrapped in tinfoil and warmed in the oven.

5 Likes

Sure, I’ll make sure it’s on my list next time I visit Philadelphia. That said, I’ll probably be in NYC or Jersey City before I get to Philadelphia.

These are the 2 recipes I had looked at- but maybe they are more Chicago-style.

3 Likes

The ubiquitous bodega / street cart egg sandwich is one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. Soft roll, heated up on the griddle, s&p&… ketchup! The blasphemy…

Technically an everything bagel (toasted well) with scallion cream cheese also counts as a sandwich… that’s another on my favorites list.

7 Likes

The best for me is BLT (when tomatoes are in season) on a chewy toasted Iggy’s Francese toasted with a fried egg on top. Maybe a little Miracle Whip to hold it all together. Takes me through till dinner time.

2 Likes

The one time I had scrapple, my BIL served it with Tabasco - great!

4 Likes

There are not too many things I would refuse to eat, if brought to me to eat when I choose to wake up. Almost as good is knowing folks in my home have been offered things to eat, and it’s not on me.

I would eat “fast food” .

4 Likes

Really enjoyed the bacon, lettuce and nectarine sandwich on sourdough I concocted this past summer. Splashed with some balsamic vinegar, and black pepper. Otherwise not a big fan of breakfast sandwiches. Oh and love bagels with cream cheese, cold smoked salmon, capers and lemon. Will take a good everything bagel anyday. As you may guess, bagels are way subpar in my locale, but good ones in Seattle.

3 Likes

With a nectarine…brilliant.

2 Likes

I love breakfast sandwiches. I could eat these all day, and as I typed that I just asked myself why I don’t! I should make these for dinner. But dang, they are good because I put sausage or bacon, cheese, and eggs on mine, so what’s not to love? Not exactly heart out waist line healthy. Give it to me on a bagel, an English muffin, a biscuit… I’m not picky.

I even like Dunkin Donuts turkey sausage on a flat bread breakfast sandwich. It’s supposed to be one of their healthier alternatives, but it’s pretty tasty.

4 Likes

I’m not much of a breakfast eater, but a good brunch sandwich is based on sliced Portuguese linguicia sausage, soft scrambled eggs and toasted, buttered Portuguese muffins which are larger/denser than English muffins and have some sweetness to them.

I also like McD’s sausage egg McMuffins…a twice a year treat when we’re on the road.

4 Likes

I had an amazing breakfast sandwich with linguica at a Lupulo ( I think that was its name) in Manhattan a month or so before it closed. Let me find that photo.

3 Likes

6 Likes