Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Good to know, last time I made burger buns, it was not soft enough.

King Arthur Back of the Bag Oatmeal Bread: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/back-of-the-bag-oatmeal-bread-recipe

7 Likes

Snack cake-orange w/raspberry jam swirl. Again, small batch so we can move on to other recipes.

5 Likes

Ooh - recipe please?

…from my wife’s digital cookbook so you have the whole recipe as written/published.

5 Likes

I didn’t need to adjust the temp or time for an 8x8 square.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have Small Victories - love it. Have not made any desserts though… yet!

2 Likes

First time for me and this cake was incredibly simple.

1 Like

@Rooster - simple is great, but was it GOOD, or a make-again? TIA!

Def tasty! Moist and light. I will make it several diff ways for brunch, parties, snack.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, and good to know - I’ll save the recipe. Might be a good way to utilize some reduced sugar homemade jams even…not that there’s a huge surplus after supplying everyone…@Rooster. But gearing up for fresh summer fruits again!

2 Likes

What a good idea!

1 Like

From that book, I added to my repertoire the merguez with herby yogurt (that yogurt is amazing on its own too) and Indecision chicken. The lasagna is a good one too, and easy.

2 Likes

@Rooster made me do it… :grin:

I made the Afternoon Cake from Small Victories - it’s an olive oil cake with a bit of almond flour, which makes it denser / richer.

I made a few modifications for the audience here - GF flour (actually, protein pancake mix, because the AP flour we have at the moment creates playdoh…) instead of AP, finely ground cashews instead of almond flour, orange shrub instead of juice, and what I thought was meyer lemon zest, but turned out to be calamansi :joy:.

I expected a denser cake for the swaps, but it was about right for a cake with nut flour.

Olive oil cakes are typically better day 2 onwards, but I’ve dug in already, and it’s delicious! I expect the citrus will intensify tomorrow.

Thanks @Rooster!

7 Likes

Interesting subs! Extra points for Fun fork design :yum:

2 Likes

Last night after dinner, I baked a half (square) loaf of sandwich bread, which I’m experimenting with to see if I can get close to indian bakery bread (soft, sturdy, yeasty).

This is my best version yet, though not yeasty enough, and a bit richer than the target (this dough had both milk and egg.)

It made a nice snack (with butter), and also a great cheesetoast for lunch.

I have a tweaked version proving in the fridge - will bake tomorrow and see if the yeastiness is closer to what I want.

9 Likes

Looks good and fluffy! Did you slice with a regular bread knife?

1 Like

Beautiful loaf and I love your half loaf pan and the sandwich press!

1 Like

Looks wonderful.

1 Like

Thank you. Was scrumptuous too …

1 Like