Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Thanks! I’ve been wanting to bake something new…

Are you cold proving in the fridge? Or putting in to chill for a bit before shaping?

I cold proofed overnight.

I like food to be lighter. As I learn to bake I have found I prefer lighter breads. This is also a very quick recipe in one bowl.

I let it rise for up to 2 hours and then throw it in the fridge overnight, like all the Artisan Bread in 5 Minute doughs. Then, sometimes I will even shape and cold proof it in the loaf pan the second time, too. Be careful, though. I make brioche a lot and some people are very sensitive to slow fermented flavor in brioche. It’s an odd phenomenon.

@Rooster, I’m completely with you. Even though I will bake it semi-regularly, I only eat the real thing a few times a year. The Artisan Bread in 5 Minute folks also have a lighter recipe like the one you posted that I use in my monthly rotation. I think it’s in the Holiday edition they released a couple years back. I commonly see brioche, challah, and even croissants listed as appropriate breads/doughs for french toast, bread pudding, sticky buns, and doughnuts. I disagree. Those are already heavy enough as they are.

3 Likes

Sourdough brioche with a 24-hour proof. It was 100% levain starter this time, probably next time will try a mix of sourdough and yeast for a more airy loaf. H was happy with the taste, I found the acidity was slightly overwhelming. Still delicious.

12 Likes

No knead? that’s a revelation! The Kitchenaid worked an hour on the above dough and was quite noisy. (We have an open kitchen!) It is possible for the weekend, but a weekday during working hours will be impossible with H’s frequent online meetings and phone calls.

1 Like

Have you posted the recipe you refer? I’d enjoy reading through it. Thxs.

Watched the video. May give a try. Although, strictly speaking, this is a milk bread rather than a brioche. In France, brioche contains no milk but butter and uses egg as liquid.

3 Likes

Yes, as I continue to read up the adaptations become very clear. In my own endeavors to bake bread, I do find I’m very comfortable trying something far afield if it means something tasty results. I save authentic to the pros who I am happy to spend money on. I’m still learning and reading to best understand the backstory.

For me one of the fun factors is having the time to bake with my sister and niece who know a lot more about baking than I do. This site has also motivated me in countless ways. But, for a guy who spent 40 plus years bent over guitar gear to be hanging around flour and butter-well, @naf…it is a mind blowing photo my wife and son stuck on our family board many months ago that really makes me smile.

3 Likes

I agree with you that the satisfaction and comfort one can achieve in baking. And then the smiles it bring when you offer. Here, the lockdown makes people more interested in baking, especially basic bread and baguettes.

In the past, there is 2 types of baking here. Professional and home, the lines were quite clear, but since a few years, there is a new magazine called Fou de Patisserie, it was a niche thing in the beginning, it features the cakes of pro and their recipes (and they works!). Some home cooks attempted and achieved good results. In the past, the professionals keep quite some secrets and not willing to share or give out information, this mentality is slowly going away. Although I find much less information on bread and nearly no information on chocolate making here. For bread making, I have a few US books, and I find them much better explained the steps like proofing, the texture and technique. In France, books only give recipes but nothing much on technique, ingredients and materials. A few youtube videos can be found explained by some amateurs, especially each flour is different.

Interesting that after a life of musician, now you have a life of baker. :grinning:

1 Like

Magazines are useful! I know I have mentioned the app, ISSUU several times on HO. Beyond the popular food magazines, international in scope mind you, there are hundreds of media publications from professional chefs, bakers, suppliers, industry groups and manufacturers in the food section that have led to my reading. The app and publications are free. I can pass time easily diving into the food section. My wife found the app years ago.

There is a correlation for me btwn guitar work and baking-my hands. Using my hands, keeping them limber matters to me. It’s great exercise-making bread. There is a rhythm to both that keep my mind sharp. I don’t plan to stop either. Actually very complimentary.

4 Likes

Interesting. A lot of bread kneading and beating up ingredients, I don’t use machine. For someone that sit before a computer for work, and find exercises boring, my years old back pain is slowly going away! Maybe the simple fact that standing more is helpful.

@naf, I don’t think you have to knead any dough in a machine for an hour. Try keeping 1/4 of the flour out of the dough and knead in the machine for 6 minutes. Then add the rest of the flour slowly, and knead for an additional minute. That should do it.

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

It was the last step, mixing in butter evenly into the (already mixed) flour + egg dough that took quite some time to make the dough elastic again. Maybe next time, I should do this step by hand. The dough temperature was a bit too high (26ºC) due to the long mixing.

You could still do most of the mixing with 3/4 of the flour, mix in the butter, and then, at the end, mix in the last 1/4 of the flour. In the worst case, it’s worth a try.

1 Like

For regular, heavy brioche: https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2008/09/24/brioche-dough-recipe-and-all-of-its-wonderful-uses/

For the light version, I think I use their “challah”, but I’ll check my recipe folder later to be certain: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-noknead-challahem-43363

3 Likes

I’ve used this recipe for burger rolls many times. They freeze perfectly for future burgers or sandwiches.

4 Likes

Thanks.