What are you baking? July 2022

Looks great and must have been delicious!

2 Likes

I’ve made a decent amount of orange olive oil cakes and this one with almonds from Deborah Madison stole my heart:

I just use regular oranges of course!

I haven’t tried this one, but knowing Alice Medrich, I bet this one is really good:

https://alicemedrich.com/recipe/olive-oil-rice-flour-and-almond-sponge-cake/

Maybe I’ll attempt it today!

3 Likes

That recipe sounds wonderful, I hope you make it and post. I have a celiac grandchild and this sounds like it would be a perfect choice.

1 Like

She has a lot of fantastic gluten-free recipes. Her corn flour sponge cake is an all-time favorite cake of mine that everyone absolutely loves.

2 Likes

Beyond GORGEOUS!!!

1 Like

Flavor Flours is all about alternative flours / gluten free baking, though I’ll admit that I ended up preferring substituting a homemade GF mix into her (and other) regular recipes.

I made this Afternoon Cake from Julia Turshen when half the family was GF, and it was wonderfully moist and delicious - even with substitutions. (However, as a nut flour cake, the crumb and texture are different than the usual citrus olive oil cake canon.)

She also has a no-flour version (Torta di Galicia / Spanish orange almond cake) here.

2 Likes

Black sesame pound cake. Delicious use of the last of my black sesame seeds!

5 Likes

Thank you Saragama, I happen to have Flavor Flours, I’ll check it out more carefully. I vaguely remember making that cake from Julia Turshen, must revisit it, thanks for the reminder!

Wow! That’s quite a cake!

1 Like

Taking a break from berries, I needed some chocolate in my life. This is Delia’s chocolate mousse recipe. I alternate with Elizabeth David’s recipe which is also very good. They are both quick to make with consistently great results. There is a bit of crushed meringues on the bottom for a little crunch.

8 Likes

Beautiful! Kinda retro, too.

1 Like

I’ve never had anyone say “no” to chocolate mousse :blush:. I’ve been making various versions for a long time! Always get smiling faces…particularly DH.

2 Likes

Have you tried this one? I think it’s wonderful, great flavor and texture.

I first read about this cake on David Lebovitz’s blog where he posted a recipe to make it as muffins. I’ve made both the muffins and the cake with great success. I’m usually not fond of muffins, but these were delicious and tender.

2 Likes

awww thank you! It was SO GOOD. I forgot to mention that the rhubarb is from my garden! Last year someone weed-whacked the plant in the spring so this is my first year having some to harvest. Such a joy.

There are some lovely looking OOO cakes here, especially those using almond flour. I am looking forward to trying the Julia Turshen and Deborah Madison cakes.
Recently I have started routinely replacing some APF in any cake I attempt with almond flour, to change the nutrition and taste profile a little. It has usually worked really well.

This is the OOO cake I like, again using a little almond flour, and adding rosemary.

3 Likes

Looks amazing! Where is the recipe from?

Mine was not nearly as nice because I used too big a pan (8 x 4 loaf pan) and so unlike her cake, my pan was not nearly as full. I should have used my 7.75 inch pan and it would have been perfect since it’s narrower. I also forgot to account for convection, so I should have baked at higher temperature. And I was doing other things so forgot to follow her directions once the cake was in the oven. The cake was still absolutely delicious, though:

I used salted butter, so I left the salt as is, but I would have used 3 grams if using unsalted.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I appreciate it!

1 Like

Peach bundt cake, since the peaches are coming in faster than we can eat them.

I made a half recipe, used yogurt instead of sour cream, replaced some of the APF with almond flour, and added 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Great results.

I was nervous putting this in the pan, because there was such a high ratio of peach pieces to batter, almost looked like more peaches and barely any batter. But it worked out great when baked.

From here:

10 Likes

wow, that looks scrumptuous!

1 Like