Braises, stews, and the like

Historically that has been the case. The costs of people far outweigh costs such as complying with American or European environmental standards, OSHA or the equivalent requirements, etc., but those costs are continuing to escalate and hit some products extremely hard.

Well, to the extent Chem is right about laxer environmental regulation, what does it say about–any–USA company that moves production offshore because the move allows them to more easily pollute?

I remember I was quite interested in the Lodge Color enameled cast iron cookware and even bought two of them. At the time, there were a lot of interests and Lodge rep answered questions about the decision to make them in China. I am going off of my memories as I did not save their answers.
Here are a few posts from older Amazon Q&A and probably will offer the sentiments at that time.

I do remember something about Lodge wants to use a certain enameled coating to give a beautiful color which would either be too expensive (regulation) or not-allowed in USA.

2 Likes

Correct. i was hoping to find some American made ECI. So, I saw some Lodge stuff I liked and it was all China. Pss on that!

Barley lover here, too. Loved it since I was wee. I like it malted and not. :slight_smile: Just soaks up meat flavor like no other.

2 Likes

Thanks to you and Meeka, last night’s dinner included a chicken barley soup that totally hit the spot.

3 Likes

It always does!!

1 Like

When (if) it ever cools down in Austin, I want a leg of lamb for the four meals of great wonder: roast, cold lamb sandwiches with chutney, rice and curry, and Scotch broth with plenty of barley.

7 Likes

A worthy goal :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Leg of Lamb!

I didn’t like lamb as a kid - gamy, stinky. Then, I went to college. The Humanities Department arranged an excursion to the Indiana Dunes (we were in Chicago) for prospective majors. (me: dunes?? Indiana??). The wily profs set about roasting legs of lamb on spits over a fire. Yes, just plain spits and campfires. The lamb was sliced and served with some kind of barbecue-ish sauce on big, crusty rolls. Maybe I was just cold and hungry, but OMG it was the best thing I’d ever tasted in my life! Thank you to my teachers and profs, who introduced me to many cuisines all those years ago!

6 Likes