Braises, stews, and the like

Do you prefer stovetop or the oven, or do you vary it, either randomly or for specific dishes? Do you like to brown things in the same pan you will be using for the long cook, or do you prefer to brown in something else and transfer. If you transfer to you deglaze the browning pan and transfer that, too? I have tried pretty much all of these approaches and have settled on stovetop browning, deglazing, and long cook in a low oven using the same pan all the way through.

Do you have a specific pan or pans you prefer? Do you have a preferred shape?

5 Likes

Stovetop, yes to browning in the same long-cook pan, deglaze, and Dutch oven OR my Le Creuset braiser, depending on the height of the food I’m cooking.

3 Likes

Stews and the like, I’d usually cook on the hob.

But, for something like Lancashire Hotpot (or, indeed, the vegetarian version that’s tonight’s dinner), it goes in the oven becuase you want the topping of sliced potato to become crisp.

I’m always very happy when we decide on one pot meal. It sits well with my limited cooking skills.

7 Likes

I prefer the oven because I can keep my heat low and slow, more consistently.

I mostly use an Emile Henry braiser, an Emile Henry tagine, Pyrex squares or 9 x 13 dishes, or Corningware casserole dishes.

If I need to sear something first, I tend to do it in a skillet then transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.

2 Likes

I sometimes use the same LC dutch oven for searing proteins, blooming spices, and then everything else is added and then goes into the oven.

But for things like chili and ragu, I’ll sear in CI skillet, and add to the crockpot with everything else.

Tinga is done all in a sauce pan stove top, and carnitas in a CI skillet stovetop, finished in the oven and then under the broiler.

So it kinda just depends. (c;

1 Like

Brown and deglaze, stovetop, in suitably sized Staub cocotte or brazier, transfer to low oven until done.

3 Likes

Always stovetop all the way (imho better control than oven, e.g. easier to see liquids drying out so you can replenish)

Browning in the same pan

Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch oven

3 Likes

I prefer stovetop, just because I only know stovetop.

2 Likes

Why do you like Le Creuset so much? What is wrong with Staub? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If your oven will hold a temp from 250-300 F, give it a try! Just put the covered pot on a middle rack. If it is a very thick sauce, you might want to check and stir it after an hour or two.

2 Likes

They are made of the same material - enameled cast iron - but Le Creuset has imho a better pan floor. It is white, which makes it easier for me to see what is going on, and the surface is doing for me exactly what I want when browning.

I did have Staub a while ago, but haven’t used them in years. Maybe my opinion would be different now but the LC is doing everything I want so no reason to change! :wink:

5 Likes

Is the advantage that it is easier to control the temperature? Or do you think it will save energy?

I doubt it will save energy. For me the greatest benefit is evenness of cooking. In the oven the conductivity of the pan becomes irrelevant. On a stovetop hot spots are almost inevitable.

2 Likes

Lately it is generally either my 6 qt. Lodge ECI Dutch oven or the slow cooker (searing and deglazing in a skillet as needed first, in this case). I also have a 5 qt All Clad that is wide but not particularly tall. Sometimes I will do things like etouffee in that. My heat source of choice for the Lodge or All Clad is inside the oven, between 225-275F. I check on it every 30-60 minutes. Comes out great every time!

When I had a gas stovetop, I tended to do things on top of the stove. You adjust with the tools that you have at your disposal.

2 Likes

Thick tin lined copper on gas stovetop is what works best for me. Usually braises find their way into a saute pan (26cm or over) and stews in a saucepan or stockpot (22 cm or over). Very little surveillance or stirring is needed. No hot spots. Very comfy and relaxing.
ECI rarely see action these days and when it does, it’s in the oven (after browning and deglazing on the stove) to avoid hot spots (except for thin stews with lots of liquid which stay on the stove).
Earthenware terrines are also used on occasions, that is when I decide I want to put one on the table.

1 Like

I like to make braises and stews on the stovetop. Just made the smoked then braised short ribs this last weekend.
I like to see and smell the cooking rather than pulling a hot pot out of the oven to see what’s happening.

3 Likes

I use LC, brown and assemble on the stovetop, then cover and slow oven braise. I like to be able to walk away from it and not babysit a stovetop vessel…I do the parchment paper seal and I never peek. I can always smell what’s going on.

1 Like

Lol . I’m a peeker and babysitter. I have done both ways . They arrive at the same destination

6 Likes

Other than Pyrex or Corningware, I’m probably the only person on this board who doesn’t own name brand oven safe cookware. It’s not that I can’t afford Le Creuset etc. Just never felt the need for it. That’s all.

So count me in the one pot stovetop, browning and braising camp. And I don’t sear a roast first in a separate sauté pan before putting it in the oven. The less clean up the better.:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I mostly never use the oven for braises, because I’ve been very happy with the results up top in copper. I also like to peek, and the stovetop makes that easier.

My pot choice depends on what I’m braising. But I like rondeaux for shorter things, and taller braising boxes for anything thicker.

I will remove pieces to deglaze, but they usually return home to the same pot after their semester abroad.

5 Likes