Braises, stews, and the like

Stringent regulations can substantially increase production costs, and sometimes force a manufacturer to adopt less effective methods in their production.

2 Likes

But the regulations are for the consumer’s protection and benefit, aren’t they?

1 Like

LeCreuset, Staub and other French ECI makers seem to be able to handle the tighter regulations there just fine.

And BTW, who says regulations in South Pittsburg, Tennessee are especially tight?

2 Likes

Indeed some are… but others may be about environmental impact caused by the manufacturing process.

In either case, they may be substantial enough to price the product outside of the manufacturer’s market. Not sayin’ the regs are a bad thing (in fact, in some areas I don’t think we have enough of them), but they contribute to why so little is manufactured in the U.S.

2 Likes

Does this count as a “and the like”?

3 Likes

It looks wonderful. What is in it?

I don’t believe them for one second.

Only reason to have something produced in China, half way around the world, is because of either cost savings and/or necessity (If it’s the only place that can produce the product)

Staub and Le Creuset produce their ECI in France without any issues and their ECI products are pretty good to great in my opinion.

2 Likes

Today was cool and drizzly, just begging for braised short ribs. I just capitulated and pulled the trigger on a rondeau. The stars aligned. They are braising atop the stove. Soon it will be time to put on some barley.

On an unrelated subject, I ordered a tamis from DeHillerin. They got it shipped by FedEx one day and had it in my kitchen here in Austin for dinner the next day. Wow.

8 Likes

Never paired short-ribs with barley but you’ve rung two of my favorite chimes. Enjoy!

1 Like

I like to serve braises over starches. We have veered away from rice due to arsenic issues. (We still eat it once or twice a week.). Noodles or steamed new potatoes are great, but barley soaks up more sauce. Triticale is good, too.

4 Likes

My secret weapon is spaetzle. Using an over-pot contraption, virtually instant. Guests love them, and I somehow seldom think of making them just for us. Our loss.

3 Likes

I not only whole-heartedly recommend this “stew”, but have unapologetically usurped her concept of a rolled and seasoned dumpling. These, as written, horseradish kissed dumplings are revelatory. But you could sub a huge array of different flavors.

2 Likes

Barley is my favorite! You all would be horrified at all the things I put on it or in it. I was just planning on making a barley mish mosh tomorrow.

2 Likes

Napa cabbage, tomatoes, fish balls, daikon, & conpoy

1 Like

I don’t know if i can find that reply from Lodge, but I believe that guy. It is about cost too. At the time, the take home message I got is about looser regulations on waste, safety code….etc. In short, we can say it is cost but less so about labor cost.

New pan?? If so, congrats and please tell us more!

An old 2.2 mm tinned 27 rondeau from Villedieu. It is a lovely pan and was a decent deal. It has iron handles, and the tin looked new.

6 Likes

Very nice, congrats! First time I hear that you have bought a new pan. :slight_smile:

So, how were the short ribs in your new pan? You wish you had rather used your Le Creuset? :wink: :star_struck: :rofl: Just kidding!

They were very simple but perfect. They had a nice crusty sear after flouring, spent just under three hours simmering in wine, beef stock, mirepoix, herbs, pepper, and a little tomato paste. I put them on the barley in soup plates, reduced the strained braising liquid, and topped and devoured them. They were better than my last batch, done in LC, but I chalk that up to being more attentive, not to the pan. The pan was, however, much easier to use.

1 Like

It’s cost savings, pure and simple. Those savings may include a smaller (or no) capital cost to build another foundry, but it ultimately comes down to cheap labor.