Beans, beans, beans....

Which recipe are you referring to?

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt, Steve. Thread’s gotten on since then and threading can be hard to parse in any event, so I should have reposted it. Here it is, it’s the Polish Breton Beans recipe.

3 Likes

Report back on Black Chickpeas, Part 1:

I knew right away that I had enough cooked black chickpeas to go after two recipes. And I wanted recipes specifically for the kala channa. One is going to be some kind of recipe from the subcontinent, which I have yet to try.

I was happy to see the recipe above for rustic Italian Black Chickpea Soup, though I adapted it to make a side dish rather than a soup, so only a bit liquid-y.

The kala channa do have much more firmness to them even when completely cooked, which I appreciated very much. Flavor seemed pretty much the same. This is a very good flavor profile for kala channa, and it was a perfect side dish.

Next up I will try one of the others. Thanks to all, I so much appreciate the assistance and enlightenment!

7 Likes

Do they put off a lot of color into the soaking or cooking liquid, the way black (purple) rice does?

The soaking water became very thick and black. I cooked them in the soaking water but added some water to that for the cooking process.

2 Likes

For indian prep, it is customary to throw away the soaking water (sometimes more than once for beans that need longer soaking like matpe / urad and kala channa) and use fresh water for cooking. Also discussed on the Lentils thread in a few places.

1 Like

Back in the days of Chowhound they had a video featuring the founder (?) of Rancho Gordo who said he likes to use the soaking water for cooking, and I’ve stuck with that ever since… though I have not done any of my own comparative research.

3 Likes

Tamar Adler, An Everlasting Meal, P. 107:

The liquid in a bean pot becomes broth as beans cook in it just as the water in which you boil a piece of meat does. No ounce of the water that goes into a bean pot sould be discarded…

1 Like
1 Like

Part 2 of my use of kala channa (black chickpeas). I wound up throwing together a kind of dal makhni, not based on a recipe, just on what I had on hand.

I threw some caraway seeds, garam masala and powdered galangal in a pan to toast the spices, added some oil, the kala channa, then butter, cream, and some urfa biber pepper for a touch of heat.

This was glorious, and the firmness of the chickpeas was a marked departure from the usual. I’m glad I found a use for these and learned something new in the bargain.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Years ago Narsai David introduced us to Orca beans, also known as Calypso or Yin-yang beans. We had them in a unique salad. He also put the ‘Nutrition Action Newsletter’ on my radar.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve made them, but it’s been a lot of years since I did. We were once on a vegetarian kick. Still have one vac packed in the freezer.

2 Likes

“They also traded along the way and dispersed news and gossip.”

That’s just a rumor.

1 Like

:smirk: !

1 Like

I’d forgotten this chopped salad with chickpeas, feta, and avocado I made (a NYT recipe) was also a bean dish!

9 Likes

This Bableves includes tarragon, cumin, smoked paprika and wine vinegar.

I added cumin, dried tarragon, white wine vinegar and more sweet paprika to last night’s leftovers. https://www.bestofhungary.co.uk/blogs/recipes/bean-goulash-recipe

2 Likes