ASIAN NOODLES - Summer 2023 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter

Both bowls look delectable!!

1 Like
4 Likes

Last night I made Cold Noodle Salad with spicy Peanut Sauce from the NYT. Soba noodles, raw zucchini, radishes and green peppers all matchsticked, Sauce of peanut butter, soy, sesame oil, lime juice and chili oil. They include honey which I omitted, but otherwise followed the recipe. Garnished with cilantro, green onions, peanuts and served with lime wedges. Definitely needed the lime at service. I’m anxious to try this after it sat for a day. It seemed to be missing something but I’m not sure what!

11 Likes

Garlic? Green onions? Sautéed shallots?

1 Like

VIET GARLIC BUTTER UMAMI NOODLES

Or some such combination of words :joy:

I’ve had these on autoplay since I first made them using this recipe from Vietnamese Food Any Day (Andrea Nguyen), though there are many variations.

I usually mix in some long-sliced onions, mixed mushrooms, occasionally cabbage, spinach if it’s around, and, of late a bit of carrot for sweetness and texture.

They are great on their own, but also fabulous with any Asian-leaning protein (tonight: with gochujang calamari).

Earlier versions:

10 Likes

Making a note of possibly my favorite Asian noodles, ho fun – which I adore as both Beef Chow Fun and Pad See Ew.

No access to the fresh noodles at the moment (and no inclination to make them from scratch, though I have before), so I’ll just crave them for a while longer.

Past attempt at Pad See Ew:

And Beef Chow Fun:

5 Likes

I don’t blanch; I microwave 5 seconds, pull apart, repeat if necessary.

1 Like

I often make some variation of these—so delicious. One question, though…did you intentionally break up the noodles or did they fall apart during cooking (and maybe that’s what is readily available in India)? I ask because I bought what I thought were fancy, bronze-die cut spaghetti for a clams and linguine-style dish on a recent trip to Vancouver Island. They annoyingly fell apart, resembling the noodles in your photo; it was difficult to eat the short pieces that got trapped in the clam shells. I saw a Canadian product and went with that, bypassing plain ‘ol Barilla. I could swear the same thing has happened to me in Iceland.

Good eye. I cut them with shears before serving because it’s easier and faster for my mom to eat at the moment while she’s bedridden.

3 Likes

Fish sauce?

My take on spicy peanut noodles with poached chicken and summer veg.

12 Likes

I’m not @Bigley9 but I have a couple of dishes that call for peanut sauce and the ingredients are almost word for word as described above - peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame sauce. I also add garlic and ginger. My recipes don’t call for lime but I’ll bet it tastes good with a little lime juice added. And chilli oil drizzled on top because I’m addicted to it :slight_smile: The fish saucce adds just the right amount of umami to the dish.

4 Likes

When I was looking at a zillion recipes to make my ultimate Beef Chow Fun, I came across this method; I think it’s ideal. I was always afraid of the fun noodle part and that ended up being easy.

I used skirt steak from WF, much better quality than most Chinese restaurants.

8 Likes

Looks great! What method did you use?

Oddly, the recipe did not call for fish sauce, and perhaps that is what it is missing

There were green onions as garnish. Perhaps garlic

Spicy Sesame Chili Oil Noodles

I made these beauties last week. I had the noodle type and wanted to make the best of them (thank you, Mala Market. It’s jst a basic sesame paste plus chile oil recipe, but quite satisfying with these wide, chewy noodles.

9 Likes

I was talking about microwaving fun noodles 33 seconds, separating, repeating twice more.

1 Like

Soy Sauce Braised Wild Mushroom Noodles, from The Woks of Life

Made this again for dinner tonight, using the dark mushroom soy sauce it called for. It really does make a difference in the overall color and flavor. Dried lo mein style noodles were the noodles - I cooked them at a boil for 5 minutes instead of the 6 called for, which was perfect for our tastes and held up well in the broth without getting soggy. This is a favorite in our house!

13 Likes

Soba with leftover steak and sugar snap peas.

Deets over at July COTM, RecipeTin Eats.

11 Likes