Asian dishes - Malaysian

Here is a fusion recipe which turned out very tasty and YUMMY! :clinking_glasses: https://youtu.be/d-LljeERf-g. Do share tips.

Nice. I do like the simplicity of the dish.

I noted you used “cili padi”, which I had to Google. Discovered it’s Malay for what I’d usually call a birds eye chilli.

Thanks for the reply :pray::heart:
You can substitute “cili padi” with red or green chilli.

No problem with the birds eye chilli. They are commonly available in all supermarkets here in the UK.

Welcome to the forum (and apologies for not greeting you on my earlier post). Out of interest, are you Malaysian? I’m fascinated by the ethnic diversity of the country’s cuisine. One of our regular contributors is Singaporean, but lives in Penang, and regularly posts on hawker food. .

Thank you for your warm welcome. :blush:

Yeah, I am a Malaysian. Do check out on - Anchovies sambal too https://youtu.be/8lnjRENAUtA

1 Like

Nicely done!

And welcome! Please share more…

Welcome to Hungry Onion, hope you feel at ease with this friendly food community! I like Malaysian food (been to Penang, KL, Kuching… a few years back). Unfortunately, there is no real Malaysian restaurant in Paris, last one closed maybe 2 years ago. Indonesian or Singaporean restaurants are the closest one can find to soothe the urge to eat Malaysian. I will be more than happy to cook at home.

Thanks for sharing the video. For some reasons, the video in the above link is unavailable.

Thank you dear friend. Its my pleasure to be in this community. I am from KL. I will be giving more easy cooking ideas to cook at home.

:plate_with_cutlery::heart:

2 Likes

Thanks dear friend!

:clinking_glasses::heart:

Are they your own videos? For the anchovies samba, I think it would be difficult to find dried anchovies here. Can anchovies in oil do the job?

Due to the lockdown, I cannot get in to our Chinatown for the foreseeable future but there’s a Thai food shop there that I think is likely to stock dried anchovies. Tinned ones in oil would be much easier though, if that would substitute - otherwise it’d be another Amazon search.

You can use the anchovies in oil, but make sure it is plain achovies without any source so that you can fry till crispy.

1 Like

Yeah tinned ones should be fine as long as you fry it till crispy::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ingredients :

Marinate -
½ kg chicken drumettes
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cornflour
½ tsp salt
½ cup oil for frying

Sauce -
4 tbsp oil
1 small ginger sliced
1 tsp garlic paste
1 onion chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
3/4 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1/4 glass water
1 tbsp honey
4 pcs red & green cili padi (seedless) sliced

You can find the video in https://youtu.be/7qB-3dWFxRc

Please give me feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Looks good, will test it out when I get the ingredients.

You said you are from KL, it seems your cooking style is leaning to modern / fusion. Do you like more traditional cooking? If yes, do you mind teaching us some traditional basics or traditional dishes of Malaysian cooking. We had Malaysian Cuisine of the Quarter a while back.

2 Likes

Thanks for appreciating the dish.:blush:

Malaysia has many varieties of food and there is no problem to what you want to eat. We have Malay, Chinese, Indian, Western, Thailand, Korean and many more. Malaysia is a heaven for food. Furthermore, we have 24hours restaurants and one can have food anytime. But since MCO, things are different now. Operating hours for restaurants are till 8.00 pm or 10.00 pm and mostly take-away only. We hope for the best to happen soon, where things will be back to normal. I missed dining and hanging out.

I am an Indian Malaysian and my food has a bit of fusion in it (Indian, Chinese and Malay). My idea is to have 99% of the traditional taste and all can afford to cook with the basic ingredients. I am also looking into cooking with the shortest time possible. Nowadays, people are very busy and want to get things done fast.

Please do let me know the traditional cooking that you are interested. Please name a few. I am happy to share my ideas.

My recipe on the Anchovies sambal is a Malay traditional food. This food is popularly available in any part of Malaysia and called “NASI LEMAK” served with coconut rice and Anchovies sambal.

ImageNL

Recipe for coconut rice

Ingredients:

1 part of rice

1 ½ part of coconut milk

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

a slice of ginger, onion and garlic (add fragrance to rice)

Optional:

1 screwpine leave

1 lemongrass

1. Rinse and soak rice in water for 10 mins.

2. Drain rice and add coconut milk, salt, oil, ginger, garlic, onion and optional items.

3. Cook in the rice cooker.

2 Likes

I see! I’m more familiar with the Malaysian name strangely. Thanks for the coconut rice recipe.

For the time being. :laughing: Beef rendang, roti jala, nasi kandar, roti canai, Nyonya laksa, otak-otak, kueh lapis and kueh serimuka.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Beef rendang, roti jala, nasi kandar, roti canai, Nyonya laksa, otak-otak, kueh lapis and kueh serimuka.

Wow! a long list of request::smiley:

Ok, no problem… today I share my beef rendang -

Happy trying and give me your feedback. :blush:

(NB. Post edited by mod to combine different versions of ingredients with the directions. See the recipe beef rendang a few posts below.)

2 Likes

Sorry, a bit greedy, take your time! Thanks so much. Don’t hesitate to ask for recipes or help if you need anything.

1 Like

Except the list of ingredients that needs big effort to find here (Paris), the recipe is simpler than I thought. Thanks!!