As sure as eggs are eggs - it's World Egg Day today

So, your favourite egg-centric recipes, please.

In the meantime, here’s a bit of egg-tastic journalism

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. Luckily I went out for breakfast today and had two eggs over easy and sourdough toast. :fried_egg:

1 Like

I love a good egg vindaloo, but have never made it myself. A good friend of ours makes it often for dinner parties.

I like eggs every which way (as long as the whites are cooked thru!): HB, SB, poached, fried, scrambled, baked, as a custard, in ice cream, in Caesar dressing… sky’s the limit.

not sure I can identify a “favorite”

• soft boiled egg on toast - which the kids called ‘gooey eggs’
  • feeling lazy? two in a pan, flipped for eggs over easy
  • more ambition? egg burrito - bacon, egg, cheese, wrapped . . . .
  • omelets, jeesh more varieties than can be listed . . .
  • souffle - normally cheese
  • quiche, again the variety defies a comprehensive listing . . .
3 Likes

We always tore up the toast along with crumbling the bacon
into a bowl with soft boiled eggs.
Love them still.

2 Likes

Eggs are special.

There is no wrong way to eat an egg.

They are like nature’s multivitamin.

2 Likes

D

id a premature celebration by having this " EGG-ON-EGG-ON-EGG " dish at New York’s " The Modern " a few days ago…’ Caviar, Poached Egg Yolk, Egg Custard, Dill, Onion and Toasted Brioche '!

4 Likes

This reminds me of 15 East’s egg-on-egg-on-egg: scrambled egg (in the shell) with uni and ikura. Sakamai (now tragically closed) had something similar. Different shell, though.

3 Likes

I hope to be experimenting a bit.

NICE!!! For watching ball games on TV, way better than Potato Chips!!! :yum: :rofl:

The ultimate bar snack!

A good substitute for a scrambled egg is JUST Eggs, be sure to give it a try and see what you think. I make a pretty good Mexican Joe’s Special with it and Cacique soy chorizo - both are probably at your local general grocery store or Walmart, and the dish is easy to make. Let me know if you’d like the proportions and steps, I’d be happy to share it.

1 Like

Eggs El Tovar with lemony Hollandaise sauce. Nonpareil.

Ta da!

I also have this;

ETA I just noticed the Just Egg has a use by date of 10/7. I’ll probably try something anyway.

That’s the one! :grinning: It is perishable, but they shouldn’t have sold you an expired bottle! It’s probably ok though.

For baking, Bob’s Red Mill is very good especially if the recipe calls for only 1 or 2 eggs. Slightly less effective but cheaper is the flaxseed trick: mix together 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp. water for each “egg” and let sit for 30 seconds or so (just like Bob’s Red Mill).

Well, to be fair, I’ve been “planning” for a few weeks.

I’ll be curious about your thoughts on the JUST Egg. The first time I had it, I just poured it in a skillet and stirred while cooking - very simple scrambled “eggs”. I was blown away, thinking it was exactly like chicken eggs except missing the egg/poultry smell. But then I made another plate, same way, for someone who eats lots of eggs, and they said they could tell a difference. :person_shrugging:

Your vegan really should’ve been happy with the oatmeal, though, it sounded super-nice and you even thought of the trickier things like maple syrup instead of sugar and almond milk instead of cow milk - a LOT of people would not have thought of those. Whatever was wrong, it was in their head not on their plate.

2 Likes

Just my personal experience, as an omnivore I did not like JUST Egg. It was, too me, very plasticky and a bit “off” the same way Beyond Meat is.

For a vegan, it might work. For this omnivore, I see no reason for it in my culinary pantry.

2 Likes

From our backyard chickens

10 Likes

I’ve never come across egg vindaloo – is it just boiled eggs in vindaloo sauce (or eggs cracked into the sauce like shakshuka)?

2 Likes