As sure as eggs are eggs - it's World Egg Day today

I would have to ask my Indian friend whenever I see him next. A quick google search produces many a recipe, so it seems to be a rather common dish.

ETA: Seems to be Goan dish. Dunno which part of the country you’re from so…here are just a few that might be a good starting point for you:

1 Like

So, so beautiful! They look like my ‘Egg Lady’s’ offerings.
So fortunate to have ‘real’ eggs available, fresh from the source.
Bok bok bok bok begap.

1 Like

Vindaloo is Goan (from Portuguese), yes - made with pork, though american versions are mostly chicken.

Maybe egg is a “vegetarian” adaptation, but no, not a common dish.

Goan egg curry is reasonably well known - as this recipe from NDTV. So maybe a vindaloo version is an adaptation of two Goan dishes.

2 Likes

When I learned that our resident Indian expert had never heard of the dish before I assumed it might be a British invention/adaptation - like chicken tikka masala, perhaps… but our friend never spent any significant time in the UK, so I have to assume he grew up with it.

I will have to take a closer look at the recipes I linked, or request our friend make it for our next gathering :slight_smile:

I’ll be trying one of those, for sure. Curry weather.

Yes, egg curry in myriad forms is popular all around India, often because it’s the cheapest non-vegetarian protein. But egg vindaloo is like egg tikka masala — mix and match curry and protein. All tasty, even if not the original dish. I’ve certainly eaten more chicken vindaloo than pork at this point in my life :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t know if I have a true favorite egg dish, but my most common way to eat them as a breakfast is to cook 4 XL or jumbo eggs sunny side up or very gently over easy (maximum wet yolk please), tear up 4-5 strips of freshly cooked bacon, and mash the bacon into the eggs on the plate, then scoop the yolky-white-bacon mass onto toast which has been too heavily (in the opinion of some curmudgeons) buttered.

Then cut bites out with a fork and enjoy.

But I also like them pretty much most ways for breakfast, whether scrambled, hard fried, omelet (sautéed mushrooms, onions, thin-sliced ham and cheeses, pleases) etc.

For non-breakfasty stuff, I do love deviled eggs and my current favorite version of that is a sort of Mediterranean style (more hummus than mayo, chopped olives, feta crumbles) that I learned of here when folks were showcasing nice recipes for deviled eggs.

ETA that deviled egg thread is here.

3 Likes

Favorite egg recipe is a tough choice, but Chawanmushi aka Chinese steamed eggs might have to be it.

Love eggs in many forms, though: deviled, soft-scrambled, french-scrambled, masala omelette, bacon omelette, egg curry (many types), just-hard boiled (set whites, “jammy” yolks), fried over-medium, breadcrumb-fried eggs, savory french toast, … phew! There’s definitely more!

1 Like

Eggs and sautéed spinach are a great combo, taken to another level with well-browned pan-fried potatoes. Eggs & lox are also great together, and I love egg, walnut & avocado in a winter salad I make.

1 Like

Curry is basically India’s stroganoff :joy:

1 Like

I don’t know about the stroganoff comparison, but what Indians mean when they use the word curry and what the west means are generally different.

5 Likes

Of course, I think we’re well aware.

As for my OC, the egg vindaloo is obviously just a riff on the more traditional mutton vindaloo. With eggs. And delish.

1 Like

I don’t think so. I don’t recall ever seeing an egg vindaloo on a restaurant menu here.

The recipes I posted seem to be from Indians, but I’m obviously no expert on the matter… or should that be mutter? :rofl:

I never saw it in Goa either, only made with Pork. Since Ruchik Randhap is from Karnataka and cites J.B Lobo’s Home Encyclopedia may be it is a Mangalori Recipe?

1 Like

Nah, no such origin stories I’m guessing.
As simple as Gravy + Protein or Veg = Dish, so if you like a gravy why not put something you like in it to make a dish?
For eg we had a delicious Mushroom Xacuti last year at a Goan dinner in Brooklyn – not what Xacuti masala was originally intended for, but why not, and it was fabulous!

1 Like

my favorite —

never understood the appeal of egg cups — so genteel! if i’m feeling especially decadent, i’ll include the bacon fat…

1 Like

l love egg cups, and treasure our soft-boiled egg breakfasts in Germany :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes, the perfect food.

1 Like