Anybody Here Think Keurig Makes Better Coffee Than Drip?

Not comparing with Nespresso or asking about espresso. Not interested in answers based on cost/cup, brew time, convenience or waste.

Just beverage quality. Which is better IYO?

Lol, god no. Not even close.

4 Likes

Thanks. Same answer for autodrip if you pour a third cup that’s been on the hotplate for an hour?

1 Like

Hard no. My Keurig is currently living on top of the refrigerating and awaiting donation. Ive tried all types of cups, filling my own, making a full pot, and I just dont like it at all.

2 Likes

All coffee, regardless of the method by which it is made, suffers if heated overlong. Both the k-cup and the drip taste worse after 60 minutes on heat.

4 Likes

My drip machine has a thermal carafe that keeps coffee impressively hot for hours.

4 Likes

Yes, I have one as well. I’m just responding to his question. The thermal carafe prevents overheating, by maintaining the temp.

1 Like

Your Keurig has a heated plate?

What I was asking is: Is a fresh K-cup better than an hour-old drip that’s been on heat?

The reason I’m even considering a K is that they have a “Duo” model that does both drip and pod. When the drip goes cooked. it might make sense to use the pods for just one more cup.

The Keurig has a thermal pot, but its a bit crap. Doesnt keep it hot for very long at all.

We’re always happy to find a Nespresso or Keurig in the hotel room. That said, in non-hotel context, we’ve also seen first hand that when there’s no time to drip that Keurig hits the spot when the K-cup contains quality grounds.

Drip is better, not even close for me.

2 Likes

A Keurig at least means the coffee *might be potable. Those in-room drip makers are pure evil.

1 Like

I have never had a cup from a Keurig I thought was pretty good. I have never had a pot from either my Bonavita with thermal carafe or my Melitta pour over I did not think was good. The Melitta also fits most tea cozies to stay hot. To me the best big coffee innovation will be when someone makes a much larger capacity drip maker and thermal carafe.

2 Likes

On a cold day at sea a cup of Navy coffee that had probably been in the urn all day was pretty welcome. Well cooked.

3 Likes

Technivorm has your dream machine! :grin:

Moccamaster Thermoking 3000

2 Likes

No, no, no, no, and… NO.

I’ve tried maybe 48 Keurig machines (between rental houses, legal offices, work, my 3 daughters, and hotels) and think they all suck big time. (Edit - who know how much overlap b/t machines, maybe there were only 5 or 6 different ones.)

A cheapo drip machine, to me, makes much better coffee.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed a difference between decaf and regular. Decaf seems to break down under heat very quickly, becoming sour. I’m guessing (with no info to back it up) that the caffeine stabilizes the coffee under constant heat conditions.

At my last work we had the machines that poured over into sealed thermo carafes (no hotplate), and the decaf did a bit better there - maybe 90 minutes before becoming obviously soured, so I guess O2 is an issue with the decaf.

Even in a Thermos, I think just holding Coffee hot degrades the Flavor. Of course it is better than having it on a heat Plate.

2 Likes

Nope. Simple pour over is best IMO, #2 drip Machine

3 Likes

I think it depends on how long it takes you to finish a pot. Oh, and what size “cup” is the “12 cup carafe” based on? US (6 oz)? Euro (4.25 oz)? The recent in-between trend (5 oz)?

My auto-drip brews into a 1L thermal carafe that keeps the coffee drinkably hot for 90 minutes, no carafe pre-heating necessary. My sister bought a Keurig 2.0 that came with a “thermal” carafe that was really just a double-wall plastic carafe with no vacuum/thermal properties. Even pre-heating it with boiling water, I couldn’t keep the coffee drinkably hot for more than about 20 minutes. (It looks like the Duo comes in both hot plate model and a “thermal” carafe model.)

I use a Keurig at work, and I’ve found it produces acceptable coffee when I use Keurig’s refillable pod and higher-grade whole bean coffee. (I like First Colony’s Organic Rainforest Blend, from Costco.) The Keurig pod offers a variable fill, so you can use a little less or a little more per cup, according to your taste. We have the generic refillable pods at work, but if you put in a little too much coffee it explodes inside the brewer.

1 Like